main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Battlefront II: Campaign Content (spoiler tags required for DLC story)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    It wasn't described as a city planet per se in the novel, but Vardos was apparently being rapidly developed and industrialised under the Empire. The shin'yah trees are the sole exception to this trend, spared from being cleared away to make room for progress due to Admiral Versio upholding them as a symbol of Vardos' relationship to the Empire. So given the years between the game and the novel, I imagine Vardos developed a few major urban/industrial centres.

2. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    It's a small detail, but I like that in contrast to Coruscant's cities being laid out in a circular pattern, the cities of Vardos appear to be in some sort of hexagon pattern. Just a small way to distinguish them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I though Naboo was your retirement world of choice.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Del is clearly the more conventional choice, both from his current portrayal and from the potential: the nice guy being the Rebel guy opposed by the fallen main character feels like a natural take.

But if I can play a bit of devil's advocate, there is some potential they could use Hask, not for a redemption arc, but for a "Bad Guy Epiphany" arc. Luke confronting Del and maybe converting him feels natural and logical, but if Luke could convince a more conventional fanatical fascist he's wrong, that would be more powerful. Hask's got the more genuine reasons to be a fanatic, since his family was killed by the Rebellion and he was also raised by an ISB officer in the form of Versio, but if they wanted to be super ambitious, they could try using his idealization for the Empire to contrast with the he splintering and seemingly self-defeating aspects of Cinder to break him.

Shadowrain10 and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I can't really see Hask going traitor, he didn't seem too upset about shooting The Dreamers, while Del was. Which is why I think that Del will be the traitor, and not Hask or Iden.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    "Not upset about shooting the Dreamers" is an understatement; it was his idea to slaughter them all in the first place.

Jedi Ben and Shadowrain10 like this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Depends on what one means by retirement, I suppose. Retiring to the Imperial Palace has got to be pretty nice, for example.

I wouldn't like that for Gideon though. It's tiresome to see murderers constantly redeemed without consequence in Star Wars. Sure, redemption is supposed to be a theme but it starts coming across as something much darker, which is that bad guys can get away with whatever and get sympathy and reintegration.

I mean it's possible he could surrender and let himself be judged or whatnot, but I... I don't know. Star Wars has a bad record with this.

8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    If Del does a heel-face turn, it has more potential to be about a man who has objective virtues and empathy realizing his great errors made while under a delusion about what was right and wrong. If Gideon does it, it would be more about Luke being that powerful in breaking someone's beliefs down. Though either one actually turning would probably get a bit more heavy pathos if it was after committing something even they can't forgive themselves for, and less a matter of *fighting* for redemption and instead facing up to the responsibility for their actions. In some ways, it would be more powerful to see an Inferno Squad member with an atrocity's worth of blood on their hands slowly break down and fall to their knees while Luke helps them face their demons, before being surrounded and peacefully surrendering. Maybe we'd even see them still in New Republic custody by TFA, and maybe have Oden come to rescue them only for them to refuse and get executed in turn.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally, I love a good redemption story, but I also love a good old fashioned Greek tragedy.

And in that mind I would love to see something where at least one of the main characters looks like they might pull a rejection, but then doubles down and willing walks into hell to see the world burn.

vncredleader likes this.
  10. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    To branch off this topic somewhat, I know that it will be a break with every Battlefront title that came before it, but I really hope this one comes with a Databank of some sort that contains entries of all the characters, planets, ships, and the like contained within. Just based on the trailers, it's incredibly rich in lore, so I'd love to farm through a database like the nerd the developers know we are deep down. :p

I'm especially curious about the mystery planet featured in the trailers, which carries only a name but no other information - even less than the incredibly fascinating but otherwise vague "Imperial utopia" of Vardos.

J_K_DART, boomx2sjk and MercenaryAce like this.
  11. Shadowrain10

Sep 12, 2017
    I agree that redemption stories have been done to death in Star Wars, it would be nice if we didn't get any defections, but if we did, my money's on Del.

Jedi Ben and MercenaryAce like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Battlefront 2 beta coming in a couple days. Sadly I'll be out of town for almost the entire time. Figures. :\

It's October 6-October 9, with pre-order folks being able to access it starting October 4.

The beta covers Naboo Galactic Assault, Strike on Takodana, and Fondor (!!) Starfighter Assault for multiplayer, and Arcade single player on Naboo.

Blergh, that sounds like it would be fun but I'll only basically be able to catch the very tail end of it methinks. Oh well, that's fine. Better than nothin'.

13. Shadowrain10

Sep 12, 2017
    Is the beta only for those who preordered the game? Because I haven't and not really planning on it because of the last Battlefront game.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Not just for preorders. Full public access starting from 4am EST on the 6th to 12pm EST on the 9th.

Shadowrain10 likes this.
  15. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I'm hoping that Del sees the full horror of what he's done and supported while fighting Luke, and Luke thinks he's going to surrender for trial but instead he decides to kill himself thinking he can't possibly atone for his sins. Luke is shocked he didn't see it coming and it helps drive him into seclusion to further study and train.

16. JediBatman

May 3, 2015

Eh, I think it's a bit silly to say the suicide of a single Imperial commando he just met is responsible for Luke staying out of the public eye for the next two decades.

17. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    To be fair, Luke never wanted to be in the public eye in the first place.

18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah Luke does not like the public eye, he prefers the splinter of the minds eye...........sorry

19. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I loved the scene in Jedi Search where Luke spoke in front of the senate. I really wish we can get to see the early days of the NR/NJO on screen in this canon.

20. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    I was aiming for more as a contributing factor, not the sole reason. Just one in a list of reasons to cause him to doubt his power and ability.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Why would you think Luke is doubting his power and ability? His apparent attitude in the TLJ trailer is more complicated than that, and that's also 30 years later. It seems far more likely he stayed out of the public view simply because he didn't want his Jedi to be as intimately enmeshed with the Republic as the OJO.

Revanfan1 and JediBatman like this.
  22. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I see were you're going with this idea, but IMO Luke's got about 3 decades to question himself and struggle with self doubt, including a self imposed exile where gets to ponder on how he failed his students. There's no need to start planting seeds of doubt and the idea of exile in his head a mere one year after Endor.

Plus the link seems kind of tenuous.

Luke: "I thought I could convince this Imperial to turn himself in, but he shot himself. I'm determined to prevent this from happening again. I know what I must do."
    Leia: "Spend some time with me learning people skills? Study psychology? Learn to accept the fact that you can't save everyone?"
    Luke: "Don't be silly, I'm going to go far away, read a book of Jedi lore, and practice my lightsaber combat."

godisawesome , AusStig and J_K_DART like this.
  23. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    What would have the most impact?

Whoever turns is killed protecting innocents defying the Emperor's last order or one of them dying protecting Iden whose already demonstrated compassion when only stunning the leader of the Dreamers when another member in full psychotic rage tries to kill her?

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Finally got a chance to play the beta. Little story content in it, since it's all multiplayer -- but the Fondor scenario looks like it reflects something that might be in the story. I'm guessing many of the multiplayer worlds are used in the campaign too.

The Rebels send a fleet to strike at a Star Destroyer undergoing repairs at Fondor. It's a very pretty setup -- Fondor itself is an urbanized world like in the EU, and resembles Coruscant even more than Vardos with the light patterns (though still far less scintillating than Coruscant). There are circular yards all around the planet, including the ones where the battle takes place over. The yard has different circular segments, and it's large enough for several Star Destroyers to fit into it.

There are two Imperial Arquitens cruisers defending the yard which have to be taken out first; the Rebels have two CR90s, and an MC80 Liberty-type that arrives late in the battle.

Definitely the most fun of the 3 multiplayer scenarios in the demo.

The other one is the big battle over Theed. Theed is gorgeously realized, with wonderful architecture, fountains, even paintings and stained glass windows. It's a Clone Wars-era battle.

Then finally there's a small strike mission at Maz Kanata's castle, where the First Order tries to extract some data and the Resistance defends. I play officers, because why would I play anything else, and it's interesting: in that scenario, the Resistance officer is a grizzled older man and the FO officer is a fresh-faced young woman who's probably barely out of school. Fits in well with the overall idea of the Resistance being led by old Rebels -- indeed, the Resistance officer has lines such as "we beat the Empire, we'll beat you too!" while the FO officer has a voice that sometimes breaks and sounds very inexperienced as she goes on about glory and crushing the Republic and the Supreme Overlord blah blah.

The FO is awful. It's fun playing as them, because they do have a neat neo-Imperial aesthetic, but geez they're just a bunch of bully kids. Little wonder I preferred the Fondor battle where I could play as the proper Empire.

25. Shadowrain10

Sep 12, 2017
    I only ever played on Fondor and Theed, I never got to play on the other maps. Also, what is your take on the Star Card System and the Lootcrates?