main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V THE FORCE AWAKENS - The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 15, 2015.

1. Im still dont like this movie

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I still for the most part like TFA, very enjoyable Star Wars movie.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Movie this here from the Do you like the new Canon? thread.
    Did you get that from the movie or the extra material? I was wondering since those points you are making (beside the 'troopers being indoctrinated from childhood) was not anything I got from the Movie.
    Jar-Jar & Dexter Jettster feel insulted. And if we look at the OT it is not just what the Republic do for it's people it is also what it don't do to it's people, like killing them because they have interacted with the MacGuffin carrier or to make a point.

That since they are not part of the Republic (pointed out in the movie, twice) it is like complaining that people outside of Sweden don't benefit from their healthcare system.

"democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…"
    - Sir Winston Spencer-Churchill

4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I think there are certain implications about the capability of the First Order, although they're not exactly on the surface. Initially they're presented as a proper threat, what with the Star Destroyer, the village attack, and Kylo's powers. Poe's look of surprise as he sees how big the Destroyer is was a nice touch, too. However, the further into the film we get, the less capable they seem. Their attack on Takodana is pretty easily routed by the Resistance, and we essentially see the same forces used on Jakku, which seems to imply that's all they have, or at least all Kylo's command has access to. Hux makes a speech sure, but he's clearly favouring over-emphasized rhetoric. The defences on Starkiller Base also seem pretty woeful if two X-wing squadrons and a single three-man infiltration squad can hold them off. The leadership seems to fal apart completely by the end, with Phasma favouring her own well-being over the planet's defences, and officers fleeing the battle (while also believing Hux's absence means he's fled too, suggesting there's not much trust in loyalty among the command staff). They do seem to be completely discombobulated by any actual military engagement.[/quote]

BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah the FO seems pretty efficient at attacking defenseless or ill equipped people but actual combat they kinda fall apart.

6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I do kinda wonder if any of that effect was intentional, however. Was the village massacre chosen to highlight how inept they are or how monstrous they are? And moments like Phasma lowering the shields seem to have been chucked in for the purposes of comedy (or "fun wacky hijinks!" in the vein of Han running after the stormtroopers and Chewie roaring at the mouse droid, at least).

But as a whole it does seem to paint a definite picture of the FO being a bit... sloppier than the Empire. Even the way every pyrotechnic explosion sends the FO troopers flying about like ragdolls. Especially TR-8R, who's given an awesome little scene with Finn, and is then blasted through the air with as little dignity as possible -- no simple getting shot and keeling over, or a quick headshot or anything.

BobaMatt and Gamiel like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    First Order scale of competence: TR-8R>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kylo Ren > rank and file > Hux > Phasma

(TR-8R was taken out by a cheap shot, dangit!)

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    "Will move to scraps later, this is honestly one of the most hilarious requests I ever got while doodling at Michael's. Thanks for the idea Kiki!

My only regret is that I didn't have time to add rainbows and sparkles, but not bad for a 2-5min doodle, lol."
    from https://mako85.deviantart.com/

9. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Sometimes, life gets me down.
    Then I read Havac's TFA review and I laugh and feel a lot better. So great!

Vialco, La Calavera, fett 4 and 2 others like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Waru, he got over 50 likes. I did not know you could get that many.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Only other post I can think of that has more.

Gamiel likes this.
  12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Just read Havac's review. One of the best reviews of the film I've read.

[face_laugh]

Sable_Hart, La Calavera and Abadacus like this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I gave that review a “like” just for the Kylo Ren descriptions.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    @Havac I'm offended by this. As a professional wallpaper hanger, it is an art and a trade and i would bet Di Vinci would be s#@! at it without training.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Havac likes this.
  15. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Their big fancy leaders are like less than 40. I definitely think they're intended to be fanatics who aren't particularly good at filling their predecessors' shoes. It's what Kylo Ren's whole character is built around.

Vthuil, BigAl6ft6, Ghost and 3 others like this.
  16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Have you tried Farscape ?

BobaMatt likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah the First Order may have sort of stumbled into being a riff on Alt. Right crazies, mostly due to A) them being Imperial cosplayers B) simply due to the length of time in between ROTJ and TFA the new antagonists and protagonists are barely going to be older than 40. but it legitimately works, I'm interested to see how Johnson builds out the First Order and from the look of the Last Jedi trailer, there's going to be a chunk set on First Order locations.

Dawud786 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The alt-right crazies in our world are often younger than 40 as well as being sloppy Nazis; I think the parallel is apt. It makes sense that some among the generation that was either too young to remember or not born yet when the Empire fell, might think the Empire had it right.