main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars #33-37: Out Among the Stars & Annual #3 (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 13, 2017.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    True. But to be fair, when was Star Wars ever realistic? :p

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In Witcher it does just come across as nasty.

For Star Wars, what the comics shows up for me is that the quality of the writing for the two in ESB has clearly been under-estimated. Everyone thinks they can pull it off, but then they find they can't.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I do remember reading every single one of the Witcher books (even Season of Storms) in English translation wondering if there was something I was missing to the whole Yen/Geralt "relationship" and concluding, no, it's just a toxic/unhealthy relationship.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, I was going just by the game.

Grievousdude likes this.
  5. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    If you want to read good Han/Leia ANH-ESB romantic tension, Razor's Edge and Honor Among Thieves do it much better than most of the comics have. Then again, it's way easier to communicate unspoken thoughts and feelings in a book than in a comic.

At least Leia didn't hit or kick Han, so I guess that's a start?

SilentGuy66 and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nor Han run her over with a speeder?

Shadowrain10 likes this.
  7. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I had high hopes that this was going to set up Hoth, but I was wrong. As for the bickering thing between Han and Leia, it sounds to me like that might sum up their entire relationship during the early years of the war. I'm seriously hoping that they change that at some point.

8. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Do people forget when Leia bashed Han’s head against her knee in the original series from Marvel? This would be in the pirates story.

In other words, it was ever thus

9. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    But they are talking about Marvel comics, Jedi Ben even gave an example. At least they didn't made Leia to hurt/threaten any of her friends, the movies showed she having a great friendship with Luke since ANH but issues ago in Marvel comics she was practically calling him stupid and threatening to take him back to Tatooine (I don't remember the exactly words)

10. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017

Yeah, when I read that in TSC it felt a little weird but I also laughed at it as well. I think that they are really trying to make Leia into more of a stern character than she really needs to be.

SilentGuy66 and vncredleader like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, now you've brought it to people's attention, you think that time passed renders it immune to criticism? Far from it.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Artoo one-shot was great because I love the idea that Artoo can take out an entire squadron of troops just by flipping a few switches. And I loved the "instruction manual" narration boxes about how Astromech droids really aren't supposed to do all the things Artoo can do. And Threepio, as always, was just bickering. And it ended with them facing down Darth Vader which was just kind of insane but Han shoots at Vader in the back again. It was sort of a more bloodthirsty episode of "Droids".

the annual had some really nifty art that was very stylized so I liked it. And I'm a fan of just stories that all take place in one shot with some simple objectives and the baddie was nicely nasty (I always enjoy whenever some baddie has a lifelong vendetta and the hero barely remembers them). The flashbacks were very brief but very cool. And I really love how Leia and Han are constantly bickering and the final pages where Han has to convince himself that he's required to stay with the Rebellion (but Leia knows better).

HeatherAntos, MrDarth0 and Jedi Jessy like this.
  13. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Sana Issue - Really liked it. I wasn't the biggest fan of Sana when they first introduced her, as I found the entire "wife of Han Solo" trope really badly executed, however the character is growing on me more and more. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they're planning to do with her next. And it was great to see Lando again!

Han Issue - Again, really liked it. Good characterisation of Han and Grakkus trying to convince Han to go back to his old smuggling ways was good as well. Nice reference to RO with General Draven too.

R2 Issue - R2 was maybe too homicidal for my tastes in this issue. It felt more like reading a comic about Chopper from Rebels than R2. And some of the art was just bad, especially the facial expressions of the Imperial captain.

Looking forward to the SCAR Issue next month. Hope we'll see the Imperials kick some butt and redeem themselves a bit, cause the way the Empire is portrayed sometimes in the comics and Rebels, you wonder how were they able to stay in power for so long.

HeatherAntos and SilentGuy66 like this.
  14. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Am I the only one hoping that the next issue sets up a SCAR squadron ongoing?

After all Aphra shouldn't be the only original character to get their own spinoff...

15. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Scar Squadron is cool, but I don't think they are as popular and beloved as Aphra is, so I wouldn't hope for it.

But I somehow have the feeling that Sana is going to be killed off in #37 which is Aaron's last issue before Gillen takes over. The solicit describes this issue as the squadrons deadliest attack, and Gillen mentioned that some things will happen in the main Star Wars line which will Aphra hit quite hard.

I hope I'm wrong as I don't want her to be killed off as she deserves more development. But let's wait and see.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I didn't care for the Annual #3. It felt very generic.

As for the main series, it's been so long that Scar Squadron has done anything that it feels like their presence is minimal to non-existent.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  17. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Looking back at the entire main star wars run so far I'd personally say that the issues including SCAR Squadron were actually some of the stronger ones compared to five issues of Han shouting "She's not my wife" nonstop and the missed opportunity that was Yoda's Secret War

18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Andrea Sorrentino‏ @And_Sorrentino
    as it has been announced, i've drawn a short story written by the incredible @jasonaaron for his last Star Wars issue! It's on issue #37! :)
    [​IMG]

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh nice. Sorrentino can do with some good press after Secret Fiasco (Empire).

He did a pro job on a horror car crash series, so will have caught a load of undeserved flack.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Agreed, Andrea Sorrentio will be fantastic, one of the main reasons I stuck with Old Man Logan past the Secret Wars mini. The art can get a bit abstract at times (the empty panels ontop of panels as one can see in the preview) which may throw some people looking for a more "traditional" style of art off (can I foresee some grousing or just "huh?") but I really dig it. If they added Sorrentio as the main artist on Star Wars, I would be ecstatic. (And this is so slam on Laccora, who I also dig but let's get some top gun Marvel artists on the book again and we have a whole lot of Laccora Star Wars issues under our belts across Star Wars and Darth Vader)

Maybe for the inevitable post-ESB #1 relaunch?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Just read Issue 37 which is a double issue with two stand-alone stories...

The first story is about SCAR Squadron. The highlight to me of that story was the appearance of Vader and his dialogue with Sergeant Kreel and then Kreel meeting the Emperor. The Emperor's lines are very well done. The rest of the story was not too eventful in my opinion. The coloring of the rebel's faces reflecting the oranges and yellows from the fire was very well done...especially the frame with the close-up of Leia's face,

The second story is from the Journals of Old Ben Kenobi and focuses on the sand people. I love stories about the Tusken Raiders especially after reading JJM's Kenobi, so this one was cool, Really interesting art and coloring. Also, some new wardrobe for the Tuskens that I haven't seen before. It's tough to be a Tusken. Kenobi shows his truly good nature again by helping out a Tusken child. Cool depiction of the Mos Eisley Cantina and enjoyed seeing Kenobi use the force to influence the troopers again. Looks like the back of Luke's head in the cantina, but I guess that could be anyone.

...and now on to The Ashes of Jedha...

HeatherAntos likes this.
  22. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Haven't read it, but can you tell me

if Sana is in it and if yes, what happens to her?

23. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Darth_Voider I read your earlier prediction...

...but, Sana finishes this issue safe and sound. I thought your prediction was entirely possible as Sana's death certainly would affect Aphra. Maybe it is still coming as she is one of the only "main" characters in the SW series that they can kill off. She is involved at the end of the issue, but the effects on Aphra must be coming up in future issues. Deadliest attack by SCAR in terms of wiping out a rebel outpost (no survivors), but no characters of note that I saw. Sana just witnesses the aftermath with Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and the droids.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  24. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Good. I for one hope that she stays around.

25. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Darth_Voider I agree...
    ...too soon to kill off Sana...great character and still many adventures to be had with her. Looking forward to more interaction between Sana and Aphra and learning more about their backstory.

Darth_Voider likes this.