main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Relationship of Chirrut Îmwe and Baze Malbus

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by SateleNovelist11, Oct 5, 2017.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Some people see them as brothers/good friends. Others perceive them as gay men.

It really doesn't matter which. Both interpretations do not negate how brave they were. I love how Baze called Jyn a "little sister," and she cracked up one of her very rare smiles. Chirrut encouraged Jyn to embrace her courage and deny her fear in a different way, of course. But that's why I fundamentally love those characters. Jyn was accustomed to people exhibiting both darkness and light and yet going out and doing something noble. Her dad did that, and Cassian, as we all know, exemplified that as well.

But, yeah. I just love these two characters. Viewing them as good friends or whatever helps the experience. If they are gay, they are anything but the stereotypical "gay friend" sidekicks. I hate that stereotype because in the real world, gay men are treated like props for other people's agendas when they are interpreted in that light. Portraying characters as fully realized human beings is a bonus, evidently. I like how Baze and Chirrut once worked for the Jedi. Baze has lost his faith, and Chirrut never lets go of his. It makes the Force a metaphor for courage in spite of an oppressive system.

Let's not forget that in the old EU that the Empire was incredibly sexist toward women and excessively racist toward aliens. Just imagine how they viewed gay people? They had the "High Human Culture," which more accurately, was called NonHuMan. Thus, I tend to look at Bodhi, Jyn, Cassion, and K2 as unlikely heroes with two more even more unlikely heroes. I like to look at Chirrut as a man who could no longer see physically, and yet despite not having enough midi-chlorians to be a Jedi, he attuned his senses and wisdom with the Force. He could see so much in that way, while the traumas of the past haunted Baze. Despite being able to physically see, he covered his eyes to morality until he joined Jyn's crew. I suppose what sold it for me was that look Baze gave Chirrut before he passed. He would miss him. And, c'mon, whoever you are, who wouldn't miss Chirrut? He was lovable.

That's just my take. What's yours?

2. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Whilst I'm not seeing anything specifically to point towards them being gay one other sci fi example that does come to mind for me when viewing the film was that there interaction feels rather similar to Londo and G'Kar in the latter stages of Babylon 5, not romantic but with that same "old married couple" feeling taking verbal shots at each other but in a fashion you know theres a strong bond there.

The two characters did for me feel very much in the tradition of the interactions between many OT characters with that same sarcastic wit, something I did not feel either the prequels or TFA really achieved.

eko32eko7 and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I love these two guys. Gay, straight, whatever. They're a couple of wonderful (and funny) human beings.

4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Good lord...

Darth Sith Saber, Hando and B99 like this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I thought they were supposed to be a gay couple the first time I saw the film. After having read Guardians of the Whills though, that does not appear to be the case.

Avnar and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    They have comradeship that spans a long, long time. To give it a real world example look no further than Band of Brothers and the relationship between many of the men who served together.

[​IMG]

Bill Guarnere and 'Babe' Heffron, two old soldiers that were virtually inseparable in later life and I see Baze and Chirrut as being similar.

7. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I can see that. But it's a matter if fans choose that in their head-canon or not.

I like the longtime comrade interpretation that Django Fett explained. Soldiers get close, much like Tolkien and Lewis did after World War I. Those who have survived war and trauma may be like blood brothers.

odin1981 likes this.
  8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Long-term companions in war can be gay as well.

Ultimately, it was left wide open. So fans can choose all kinds of stories for them. I like it and hope LFL doesn’t fill in too much with ancillary material.

9. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    At first, I thought Chirrut said; I don't need love, I have you; only because of a rumor I heard saying that they were gay.
    When I saw it again I was corrected.

Rumors. See what they do?

10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Threads a little late. lol

11. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    i got a brothers vibe from them.

Darth Sith Saber, themoth and Avnar like this.
  12. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    time for a baze x chirrut x jango fett fanfic

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Again, depends on one's perspective. That vibe is poignant, as well.

14. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    You think they were gay? How?

Darth Sith Saber likes this.
  15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    What do you mean, “how”? They would be gay the same way they would be heterosexual. By fulfilling the definition of that term.

And there’s nothing in the film that rules out any sexual orientation for them. So it’s perfectly plausible to imagine that they might be gay. Or not.

For me, their playful banter/ bickering strikes me as more of a romantic relationship than a sibling one. But the latter is a perfectly valid interpretation as well.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hmmm... I don't really care either way but I don't see it to be honest.

Jyn and Cassian were left ambiguous at the end of the film "Did they kiss on that elevator?" One of the angles clearly has her in his arms... But Chirrut and Baze *thinks long and hard* just seem like really good friends. A kiss on the forehead while he was dying may have sealed the deal for me whilst still not meaning that either. Clearly they were best friends... Clearly Baze looked after Chirrut... I just don't see it. This could have been touched upon in the GOTW's book but wasn't.

If you see romance here - You should see it with Han and Chewy :p ...they are just really good friends I think! [face_coffee] P.s - I wouldn't care if they were more than friends... No-one should. In this day and age they shouldn't need to hide it, so if it were the case just spell it out. On Jyn and Cassian - I think that romance was left ambiguous because of the backlash towards Anakin and Padme (I honestly do) and rightfully so...it just wasn't done well in parts.

This reminds me of friends saying that two of the guys from Predator were gay when we were growing up haha (Mac and Blain) Once the arguments for it were layed out I could kind of see it...

17. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    It was ambiguous. As such, I think all interpretations are perfectly valid.

anakinfansince1983 and Avnar like this.
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Absolutely!

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I can't argue with any of that. I can see what you mean. Good points, man. I always liked how platonic Han and Chewie were, but I see what you mean. We all liked Jyn and Cassian for remaining respectfully platonic, since it's realistic. They didn't have enough time.

I suppose it's more because I feel sorry for the sad history that Chirrut and Baze had. They were deposed from their positions in Imperial society to become assassins, if you think about it. Plus, Chirrut is blind, and given how my grandmother was blind, I think that fan theory helps to make both Chirrut and Baze himself stronger. Anyhow, sorry to get personal, but my grandmother basically was a county clerk who was abandoned by her husband, my granddad. She had to raise my mom and late uncle by herself. Getting elected to county clerk was nice, but it didn't pay much in a small town back in the day ('50s, '60s, and '70s). She later became blind, and she had to watch the television from the peripheral vision due to what had occurred with her eyes. But she always got around Mom and Dad's house well. She was like a second mother to me. She was the hero who had protected my Mom. I lost her in 1995, age 91, when I was just 9. If I recall correctly, I discovered Star Wars just before she died. Certainly, that whole mythology helped me out in life in terms of values, outside of the history books.

So, I suppose that's why I like to think of Chirrut as being with Baze. I don't like to think of him being alone in that existence of Jedha.

Gigoran Monk and Avnar like this.
  20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    As Gigoran Monk said "I think all interpretations are perfectly valid" :cool:

Thanks for sharing your story - I love how Star Wars has that kind of affect on people!

21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    No problem. I guess I haven't had many brother-figures since college, but I do believe they would be fabulous in that department. One of my favorite moments is when Jyn smiles after Baze calls her a "little sister." People need brothers fo sho. :)

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    I didn't want to be the first one to say it, but yes Baze does come off as being very gay in this particular film.

23. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Baze is the best shot we've seen since Han, if not his superior. He's the Deadshot of cinematic Star Wars. I suppose Fett may be in the books. You can really see why people who like Westerns would be intrigued by those characters.

Avnar likes this.
  24. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    That it was left so ambiguous makes me think the intention was for them to be gay but done with plausible deniability. It's frustrating to only see yourself in covert, hidden in plain sight ways.

CT-867-5309 and Strilo like this.
  25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    In fairness, though, the relationship between Jyn and Cassian was handled similarly.