main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to The Last Jedi - The Rebel Files by Daniel Wallace (Canon too!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Apr 17, 2017.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Funny enough, when new Canon replaced Legends, I decided to give the role of leading the rebel cells in the sector I created to my Original Trilogy character's father (since the character's family was actually still living at the time and he was placed into hiding because of his own connection to the Force) instead of the aged Senator (he retires earlier from the role than in Legends).

What made me decide that was because I felt that I had no idea what the OT Trilogy's parents were doing during the era (they "appeared" in TPM). I knew that their eldest became the NR senator while their middle child (OT character) was an X-wing/B-wing pilot and friend to Luke and their daughter was a Y-wing pilot but what they were doing didn't fit in with what was happening. The Canon switchover gave me the opportunity to change that and give the OT father a role in that era. He isn't a senator on the Rebel Council like Mon Mothma, Pamlo, Vaspar and Jebel nor a former senator like Bail Organa or a military officer like Raddus, he's an ambassador-at-large who managed to cover his tracks very well. In Legends, I figured he took early retirement to be a teacher to diplomatic students.

As to the aged senator, he was 64 in ANH and had spent over 30 years as a senator and nearly 40 years in politics, figured he'd get a way (particularly after he was arrested but released).

2. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998

Like the earlier ones (The Jedi Path, etc.), the main text is set in a particular time period and then the marginal annotations/scribbles are from later commentators. In this case, the comments are from the TFA/TLJ timeframe and include one TLJ character, and the main text has some retroactive references to things you'll see in TLJ.

It's not exactly a setup or anything--you won't learn any details of TLJ's plot if you pick this up--but it does have a few connections.

3. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998

Yes, almost certainly. I don't have a timeline for that, but it's a safe bet that a standalone book release will eventually follow.

Gudenruben2 and Sinrebirth like this.
  4. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay, I'll be looking out for that, thanks.

5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Has there been any further word on this yet?

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    None yet, though I'm sure we'll get some previews in a month or two. Dan did such a fantastic job in On The Front Lines, I have zero doubts that he will knock this one out of the park! :D

--Adm. Nick

7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm gonna feel the financial pain but as a canon completist I've got to get my hands on that deluxe edition. I wish the Amazon pre-order link would show up soon!

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  8. Thrawncop76

Thrawncop76 Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2017
    Does anyone know when the pre-sale for this book is going to go up? If it's still being released on 11/1/17, presale/preorder should have been up awhile back.

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Does anyone know what goodies the deluxe edition is going to have besides that Death Star hologram?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It's still on for 11/1, though I noted that it's no longer up on Amazon, where it was listed for awhile. It's part of the whole Journey to The Last Jedi, so it makes sense it isn't coming out for a few more months.

--Adm. Nick

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, still not coming up on sites like Amazon. I hope that they didn't push it's release back.

Dan Wallace have you heard anything about the final release date?

--Adm. Nick

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
  13. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Thought I saw the gift set edition going for mega bucks through third parties on Amazon.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, I hope that the deluxe one is still being released this year. I'll do some digging!

--Adm. Nick

15. coervus

coervus Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2017
    This interview with Dan Wallace popped up over the weekend indicating that the deluxe edition is still on for November, but there's no telling when it was conducted:

http://sciencefiction.com/2017/09/0...alks-star-wars-front-lines-upcoming-projects/

I'm all about the concept of this book (see avatar [face_laugh]) and hope I'll be able to read it before long. May have to drop some strong hints to loved ones around the holidays if it's out by then!

16. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    The Deluxe Edition is still on track for November. I talked with the publisher and while the book will be available to buy via Amazon, the preorder link will NOT go live with Amazon. Instead they are planning to have a preorder link on the website for the publisher, Epic Ink, so I'm assuming that will show up here: https://www.quartoknows.com/epicink

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    That makes me so happy. Honestly, this seems to me to be an essential part of the whole "Journey to The Last Jedi", as the parallels between the Alliance and the Resistance are deep and unmistakable. Not only that, but given how we have Rebels Season Four coming out and are definitely in a place where the early history of the Rebellion in the new canon is starting to come together, the time for this book is perfect! :D

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Spoke to a publicist about the book here at NYCC. It looks great -- could possibly end up being the best one in the series.

First, she opened up the box, and that Death Star holographic projection is pretty good.

She told me a bit about the book. It's the first one with a specific IU narrator, an archivist (I think working for the New Republic but I didn't read it that closely). There's also a little chain of custody memo inside the front cover from Kor Sella to Leia Organa.

The publicist says the book does contain some info from episode 8.

She paged through some of it. I saw some rather nice illustrations -- one of Mothma meeting with Leia and some other folks was memorable. I also caught an infobox with our friend Arhul Hextrophon, who is now canon if he hasn't been mentioned before yet.

All in all it looks like a pretty good book. I'm looking forward to it.

coervus, JediBatman, SWpants and 2 others like this.
  19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I am literally counting the days until this comes out. COUNTING THE DAYS.

--Adm. Nick

20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    He was already canon, Jason and Alex Freed made sure of that. ;-)

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Perhaps Voren will return, so we can blame everything on him.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    He was canonized in the Rogue One: Rebel Dossier book.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Our SW authors are good to us.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. Angry Warlock

Angry Warlock Jedi Padawan

Jul 5, 2016
    Im still struggling to find any way of ordering this in The UK. Its not even showing up on any "forthcoming" lists. Are we still on schedule for 1st Nov ?

25. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Yeah, seconded. I also hang out on a comic forum sometimes. There, fans and professional creators attack each other for various reasons, creating a really toxic atmosphere.

This form is the best behaved one I'm a member of. Thanks everyone.