main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Should Boba Fett survive in the nu-canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The One Above All, Oct 1, 2017.

?

Should Boba Fett survive in the nu-canon?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    Apologies, if this has been created already, but what do you think should happen with him? Do you want him to survive the Sarlacc, or, would you rather Disney just left him where he is?

Edit: According to JW Rinzler, Lucas confirmed his survival in the new canon, but given that George isn't in charge anymore, I'm not taking it at 100% face value.

Source:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...zler_star_wars_scholar_and/ciz7w38/?context=3

2. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Massive Boba Fett fan here (Fav character) ...but I'll go with - No! If they want to use him again just do it in films/comics etc set before his death.

I hate when they bring anyone back from the dead. Darth Maul coming back was stupid. They had the right idea with Savage... Just create a character similar if you absolutely have to! I mean, look at Dash Rendar - Perfect for while Han was in carbonite :cool:

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Warning: The Saga thread is for discussion of the Star Wars Films only. To the extent, this disussion veers from the FILMS, this thread will be shut down or redirected to a more appropriate forum.

@anakinfansince1983

4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005

^^This 100%

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I think they should bring him back.

Narrative, a character's death is just as important as their life, and Boba being punted into the pit is a poor ending to a really hyped up life.

6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    In this instance I'd be fine with him having survived because he has his armor on, which makes it plausible, and because he had survived in the old canon. I do agree though than in terms of the films, I'd prefer to see him pre "death" or not at all.

J7Luke and Bazinga'd like this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Agreed. At this point, I am not sure how he fits into the TLJ or Episode IX

8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    If it's in the EU, I can deal with it, but I rather have him just stay dead. Characters who never seem to expire lose their vulnerability and it makes them less interesting imo.

9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah, that's a really good point... If Darth Maul getting chopped in half didn't kill him...what would? Yes I know *insert however he ended up dying*

I know this is a Boba Fett thread but I feel that bringing up DM in regards to your post is still on topic :cool:

Deliveranze likes this.
  10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Thanks for mini-modding, also a TOS violation. However, that does raise a point. If you want to discuss resurrection of characters in the film, start a new topic and we will give you some leaway as to what is discussed.

11. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    Boba Fett became iconic in part due to his scarce appearances in the original canon (at least at first).
    You can over-saturate the presence of a character to the point of nausea, as has been highlighted.

But it just wouldn't work to bring him back under sincere notions of plot/thematic development. He had a very specific, targeted role in the OT which isn't in any way applicable to the ST. Have him back in an anthology film perhaps, where the fan service seems to be more replete.

Vasco_Rojo and J7Luke like this.
  12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I think it's very unlikely that the Sarlacc would've killed him. Given his armor & various weaponry it would more likely be the other way around. A movie showing him blasting his way out of the creature would be worth seeing for that reason alone. Maybe he could even go back to the palace & take over Jabba's criminal organisation. Boba the Hutt !

13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Never mind.

14. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    To be honest I wouldn't mind seeing him back, though prefer to see his survival in an Anthology film, book or comic then in any of the sequels films.

J7Luke likes this.
  15. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I voted yes, but it was an impulse vote, and I slightly regret it.

A Boba Fett movie set on Nar Shadaa would be amazing in the Dark Times.

I feel it is worth mentioning (even though I might get in trouble) that the nu-novel 'Aftermath,' Boba Fett is implied to be dead. I think someone sells detoriated mando armor in Mos Eisley or something like that. Considering the 'Story Group' wants cohesion between films and novels, this is either a misleading clue to his future storyline, or confirmation of his death.

In the films of course

J7Luke likes this.
  16. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    You know what would be awesome (in my opinion)? Someone else finding/acquiring the Fett armor and "donning the mask" so to speak. It would have to be an unknown yet capable bounty hunter (preferably one who always admired Boba Fett). They could use his reputation to complete many jobs without even needing to fight. Maybe later on he could track down Slave I too. As time goes on, 2nd generation Boba Fett would get better and better at using Boba Fett's gear, almost to the point of equaling the original Boba Fett.

Star Wars doesn't really have any characters that fall into the Taking Up the Mantle trope yet, and Boba Fett is the perfect candidate for this type of thing for two reasons: 1) Boba Fett's face is never exposed and he rarely talks, so it would be hard to tell someone else is under the armor. 2) There is really no confirmation of Boba's death, and it is perfectly plausible to assume he escaped from the Sarlacc (if you lived in the Star Wars universe).

This would preserve the original Boba Fett's canonical scarcity, canonical death, and general awesomeness while at the same time allowing a bounty hunter of Boba Fett's caliber, equipage, and reputation to continue on in the Star Wars universe. I would consider it a win-win situation. The coolest part is that 2nd generation Boba Fett could train a 3rd generation Boba Fett and so on. It would almost be reminiscent of the "Mandalore" concept only in this case the Boba Fetts would not be leaders.

Thoughts?

Vasco_Rojo likes this.
  17. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I think it would be difficult to convincingly reintroduce Boba Fett without it descending almost into spoof territory.

"Boba Fett!!"
    "Yes, that's right"
    "But we thought you were..."
    "Dead? I'm sorry to disappoint you. Of course, it wasn't easy blasting my way out of the sarlacc's belly and walking it all the way back to Mos Eisley. For thirty years I have waited, but now I shall have my revenge. Prepare to die!!!!"

J7Luke likes this.
  18. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I tend to think Boba Fett is one of the most overrated characters in the saga, and yet I'm very much an advocate for him to get a spin off film. He mostly exists on the periphery of the saga films, an observer of the action more than active participant. Exploring his morally ambiguous life as a relic of the Clone Wars in either the OT or post-OT has the potential to deepen his character in a meaningful way.

J7Luke likes this.
  19. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    To my mind, his mystique was ruined the day Lucas gave him the immortal words

"Dad, Taun We's heeyaa" and "Geddim dad, geddim. FIYAAAA"

20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Everybody was once a ten year old kid. I think it adds to the themes of family that are an integral part of the saga, and how the loss of a paternal presence informs who you become. I think there's a lot to mine there. And for what it's worth, I like Jango significantly more than Boba.

Different strokes for different folks.

J7Luke likes this.
  21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd be interested in Boba unmasked, dealing with his clone identity. No thanks if he's brought back just to be a "badass" Spaghetti Western type of character.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not a Fett fan at all, so I’m good with his being eaten by the sarlacc.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Sarlacc found me somewhat indigestable.

24. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    The EU gave the character opportunity to be developed far beyond the intention and bounds of his original purpose in the OT. That makes him a contentious character to start playing around with.
    He's also not a character that is pegged to certain author (like say Thrawn) - it makes his reintroduction more challenging and potentially jarring.

If he were reintroduced, the expectation of dedicated fanbase would be impossibly high. Remember, examining only the films, Boba Fett has a very narrow characterization - he's visually very unique, and has a sort aloofness like the "Man with No Name", but that's about it.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Considering the danger of letting fans be in charge of a fan favourite character (as seen in the EU), I'd rather leave him being slowly digested over a thousand years.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Vasco_Rojo like this.