main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Thrawn - New canon Star Wars book by Timothy Zahn (Spring 2017)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Jul 16, 2016.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    This is the same book where we get into Thrawn's head and he seems to think he's genuinely exiled...

Also, I've noticed in real life that the most power-hungry people genuinely think they are moral, selfless, hardworking heroes etc when it's obvious to practically every one else they are ruthless and power hungry. So no, I don't see a contradiction in getting into a head like that and seeing them think about how selfless they are and cackling about power. Such people genuinely believe their own hype and delusions.

2. Thryce

Thryce Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2017
    Now this is the content I came here for. :D

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. Figuring out the timeline of this novel was something I was wondering.

SWpants likes this.
  4. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Finally, the book will be release in Brazil!

5. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  6. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Stupid Sexy Thrawn.

7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way :D

8. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    So I just spent a few days re reading the book and I'd say it's almost tied with Lost Stars as my top novels. I remember asking here if Thrawn and Eli would actually consider each other good friends instead of a professional relationship. I'd say they did consider each other as true friends now that I read more closely on the epilogue. I didn't bother to read the upper text on the chapter beginnings before, but now I have. As I understand it, they were entrys of Thrawn's journal. On the epilogue entry, Thrawn really puts the word "friend" to use which I'm happy to see, that it wasn't just a mentor and protege professional thing. Another thing I liked is the mention Eli makes about how Thrawn had his art for tactics, while Vanto had his numbers for tactics. I somehow also missed that admiral Ar'lani was a female.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Aw, I was hoping the Brazilian cover would be a new design. :(

But given that it's Two Dots who did it (I think?) and given that's who Editora Aleph uses for their cool covers, guess it makes sense that the art is the same.

10. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
  11. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    "And then sometimes my kids would be like, “What are you doing?”

You'd think by now they'd be used to their father's verbal idiosyncrasies ;)

I really want to hear the audio now.

12. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    Good Solid Novel, enjoyed reading it. I say I give it about an 7.5 to 8. Still not sure how to rate it, I enjoyed a couple Star Wars novels more.

13. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
  14. lakhota

lakhota Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    SPOILER BELOW

I have a question if some of you with more knowledge can help me. I am not finished with the book but I got confused when Thrawn was talking to Nightswan on the insurgents planet. Did he say he was purposely placed as an “exile” to fool the republic to get knowledge of their intents in the galaxy? The Chiss sent him to spy but the emperor gave him the chance to serve the empire? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Best SW book I have read this year.
    Best non-SW book is "Norse Mythology" by Neil Gaiman.

16. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

There are different theories. I believe that Thrawn was really exiled "officially" (he cannot officially come back and be seen by everyone on Csilla) but this "exile" was used by the Chiss Ascendency (some people are aware of the secret, like Ar'alani) to send him on a mission to check was is the Empire. So to me, yes there was an exile (as you can see in his personal point of view/journal at the beginning of the book) BUT instead of living the rest of his life on a jungle planet, some Chiss organized his rescue by the Empire so he could be useful and gather information about possible allies/enemies.

So yeah it's an exile but without being the exile he was condemned to (living all his life on the jungle planet). So he is playing with words with Nightswan. I can't believe he would say 100% of the truth to a Rebel enemy, and lie in his own personal journal he gave to Eli, his best friend.

So my opinion is that the exile is half true, he is exiled but not the way he was supposed to be, it was transformed into a mission. But he cannot come back to his homeworld (or disguised or incognito maybe), so it is exactly like an exile. Because everyone would wonder why someone who was officially condemned to exile would come back like this and defy Chiss court decision.

17. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Double post technical problem again... (I don't know what is the problem of these forums these days, it's hard to post correctly, half of the time it doesn't post, the other half it posts in double)...

18. lakhota

Apr 25, 2014
    Thank you for your time, I just finished the book and agree after seeing Eli’s fate that there is a lot more to the story. I wonder where the second book will take us? Will it be after his appearance in Rebels? I heard today that Dave F. Is now saying Thrawn will be alive during “The New Hope”.

19. lakhota

Apr 25, 2014
    Thank you for your time, I just finished the book and agree after seeing Eli’s fate that there is a lot more to the story. I wonder where the second book will take us? Will it be after his appearance in Rebels? I heard today that Dave F. Is now saying Thrawn will be alive during “The New Hope”.

20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    That sounds very similar to Jag Fel's mission in Legacy of the Force. He was exiled, but given a task to hunt down Alema Rar so he could restore his family's honor, even though he could never return to Csilla.

21. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
  22. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
  23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    A Thrawn comic? Hopefully, it's artistically done. :D

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Given Marvel's recent track record, it may not be.

kalzeth and SWpants like this.
  25. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    In your opinion, maybe.