main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Disney bring back the Sith?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Oct 6, 2017.

?

Should the Sith have a future post-RoTJ?

1. yep

18 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. nope

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. maybe

17 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Within the new continuity, even though so far the Sith got wiped out at the end of RoTJ, it feels that Disney still wants to uphold their imagery, even with the order gone.

Besides the in-universe reason of Kylo Ren wanting to imitate Vader, Disney wanted to also bring back that familiar appearance of a man in dark clothing wielding a red blade.

While he lacks a Darth name, Disney could have set up his image as even less Sith like, to differentiate him from the Sith of old. Such as using a non-red crossguard that he built as Jedi and never changed the color.

I talk about this, because I wonder if the whole "Looks like a Sith but not one" will be a repeatable pattern if Disney has a vision for a post-ST world with darksiders fighting a new Jedi Order.

That is a possible path, but they instead could bring back the real deal.....from a certain point of view.

The Sith reborn, possibly taking some inspiration from the One Sith of the EU.

You could say though, that would never happen in Disney canon because they want to uphold the prophecy of the Sith being destroyed by the chosen one. Then again, it could be interpreted as the Rule of Two Sith being wiped out for good, never to return. While not preventing another faction of evil doers creating a different version of the Sith in the far future.

Personally I lean more toward a dark side faction coming to be post ST that is quite different from the Sith or their look alikes. If we get a "new" generation of Sith from Disney, it could be given to the audience through ancient past of pre-TPM.

What is your view on this topic?

Should Disney borrow a few more notes from the EU and bring back the Sith someday, as an enemy of future Jedi Rey? Or is their legacy best left to the past?

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For me, this.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Lost Tribe of the Sith or something like that would be the easiest way to do so.

AusStig likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    No.

They should make new Dark Siders with new values.

La Calavera likes this.
  5. I want a Sith movie where they are the protagonists
    they have always been the villains now I want a movie where they are the protagonists

A movie about the origins of the Sith would be very good

AusStig and kalzeth like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You know, before they bring back the Sith, they ought to bring back ... the Jedi.

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just like it appears they are planning on creating a new form of Jedi I think the next step will be creating a new form of Sith.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Sith are extinct and will never rise again.

Obviously, the Knights of Ren are nothing like them.

:)

Master_Rebado likes this.
  9. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012

Where have we heard that before? :p

10. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I would rather them refrain from unlimited rehashing.

Hope to see new darksiders and villains instead.

Kylun and Master_Rebado like this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to see another Force Group with different teachings as the villain.

12. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I have posted about it in other places...they should have given Maul an apprentice. That would have left the door open to continue the Sith after RoTJ.

13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Maul would be an awful teacher though. Yeah, he might have liked the CONCEPT of an apprentice, but he didn't have the patience or skill to actually raise a true apprentice.

Jedi Ben and kalzeth like this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Seeing as how they already gave a prominent character in the saga an unnecessary apprentice, I don't see how adding another will help matters.

15. He already had an apprentice but he died

16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I wouldn't really say Savage was a true apprentice. I mean, did we actually see him learn anything from Maul? Was any Sith wisdom imparted down to him? The whole 'Master Apprentice' thing was just a way for Maul to assert dominance over his brother.

17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    If they were to bring back the Sith, they'd have to do it in much the same way that Legacy did. Make them different from their film counterparts, have them behave as an organized force rather than a plotting group of individuals, etc. Add something to their presence that isn't reminiscent of what we've seen before. I feel that the ST has been relatively unsuccessful in this area. Despite all the pedantry behind pointing out that the Sith are dead and gone, Kylo and Ren may as well be portraying a Rule of Two themselves.

kalzeth likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's hard to answer this question without knowing what direction The Last Jedi and Episode IX will take things.
    I'm hoping that the canon will make the millenium leading up to TPM the only time that the Sith were believed to be extinct.

19. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Personally, I don't want to see the Sith come back unless it's a story that takes place in the past. I like the idea of Palpatine being the last Sith, kind of a counter of sorts to Luke being the last Jedi. I'm okay with them having new Dark Side users though, every good story needs a villain.

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. Cantankerous Ordo

Cantankerous Ordo Jedi Padawan

Jul 2, 2017
    i think it's something they shouldn't be afraid to do so long as they have a good story. i didn't like the idea of turning jacen into a sith lord, or the whole lost tribe stuff outside of jjm's ebooks, but man, legacy was really something else back in the day. the one sith were a hell of a shake-up, and if the disney-era canon can whip out something like that again, i'm all for it. but on the other hand, if they don't have a story to match the ambition of kicking off a new sith order, i'd probably be fine with leaving the sith in the past. i don't want to see any more half-assed "lost tribes" just because the creators couldn't think of something better than whip out a bunch more run of the mill sith.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My big issue is the Sith tend to make the world smaller than bigger.

Also, no one seems to know what they're about other than "bad guys."

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm ok with Kylo not being a Sith if there was actually anything in TFA that distinguished himself from them. But there wasn't. They establish that Kylo reveres his grandfather and wants to be just like him, but no explanation isn't given on why he doesn't try to declare himself a Sith.

This makes about as much sense as someone revering the Pope and trying to emulate them, only to not even bother with Catholic priesthood and deciding to become a Protestant pastor. They need to establish, if Kylo is not a Sith, how he is distinct from them.

AusStig, JediBatman, kalzeth and 3 others like this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I agree. I want real differences between him and the Sith.

Mind you - Darth Vader was never a real one.

24. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    A Anthology or trilogy set during the last great war between Sith and Jedi is a sure good way to knock into the audience what a sith truly is besides being a darksider with dark clothing and wielding a red blade. Films that really delve into sith ideology/code. It would work well in a era in which the common man could come across sith teachings because of the size of the order and the scope of the war.

But a more likely way for Disney to give us more about the nature of the Sith is for Snoke to have a discussion with Kylo about the Sith, and how he and Kylo are different from them.

25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    What? Vader wasn't a Sith? Please clarify?