main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why do people think Disney is going to stop making books/comics?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Outsourced, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I have no clue. I've seen this rumor in like four places from multiple people, and I can't wrap my head around it.

Apparently, since they haven't announced a ton of stuff for 2018, Del Rey is 'Wrapping Down' on its Star Wars books. But there's no actual evidence for that, and our resident Del Rey Editor denied it, so what gives?

2. I doubt very much that Disney does not want to publish more books and comics
    Especially when we are in a new era of fever of Star Wars

More comics and books = more money for everyone

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Especially when the pattern for the last three years is that they announce things with a handful of months away only. In that respect the Thrawn sequel is a departure from the norm they established.

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    From what I have seen only one particular poster even mentioned that. And he/she obviously was just jumping to conclusions based on not hearing much info yet.

In anycase Star Wars comics are really the most productive franchise going right now for marvel and in regards to the novels all but three or four of them have made the NY Times Bestsellers list. Absolutely no reason to believe they would even be thinking about stopping or even slowing down the production.

Daneira likes this.
  5. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Looking back through the posts I saw, it's just Yunzabit posting the same type of thing in multiple threads (Thrawn: Alliance, TLJ Novelization, etc)

Daneira and Vthuil like this.
  6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, they have completely stopped publishing books I want to read, and definitely aren't publishing very many books anymore.

7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor
    The Legends of Luke Skywalker
    Star Wars: The Rebel Files
    Join the Resistance: Escape from Vodran
    The Last Jedi: Cobalt Squadron
    Chewie and the Porgs
    Rey's Journey
    Rose and Finn's Mission
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Bomber Command
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Heroes of the Galaxy
    Forces of Destiny: Daring Adventures: The Leia Chronicles
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi (novelization)
    Forces of Destiny: Daring Adventures: The Rey Chronicles
    Star Wars: Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
    Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
    Thrawn: Alliances
    Join the Resistance 3

And these are just the books tying into the canon, not counting comics, or activity and model books.

This is also not counting any books that are TBA, which. judging by last year's Celebration, is quite a few. Zeta1127

8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I am referring to adult novels, not books in general, where there are about what five novels a year and Zahn isn't even enough to get me interested in the canon universe.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    If you restrict yourself to Adult Novels, yeah. But i've thoroughly enjoyed every YA and Young Reader novel i've read, so it seems like you're just needlessly restricting yourself.

10. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The way Del Rey ruined the post-NJO and the depressing post-Endor galaxy that TFA created has completely turned me off of Star Wars books.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    It's fine that you don't like the books.

But it's wrong to say they aren't publishing many more.

12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    They aren't publish very many adult novels anymore, which you agreed with, so I don't see the problem.

13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    But my counter argument is that many of the YA and Young Reader books are of similar quality, and output is similar or higher than it was Pre-Disney, with no signs of ramping down production.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's all part of their grand plan, that's why.

15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

They're pretty consistently publishing 4-5 a year, so "they aren't publishing very many" is factually incorrect.

Karl0413 likes this.
  17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Isn't it just one person? I got in trouble for echoing the sentiment in jest. But it seemed people thought I was serious? There is just nothing that supports ending SW novels...quite the contrary.

It's the phenomenon of just saying a thing, no matter how ludicrous, has given that thing credibility without any evaluation of merit, evidence, and credibility. Someone just had to say it.

Seems pretty consistent with current...societal norms.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Del Rey actually will have released 7 novels by the end of 2017.

19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't see how 4-5 novels is very many.

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    2012 and 2013 each only had six novels each.

21. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly, it was a problem going back to the last few years of the EU, combined with the fact they were terrible for the most part.

22. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Those two years had Darth Plagueis, Scoundrels, Kenobi, and Crucible.

cthugha, Daneira and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Frankly, there is more to a successful publishing programme than mere quantity.

Trek has managed 12 novels a year but it does so across multiple eras, with a set of authors, to roughly a set length, tends to be around the 380-400 page paperback mark - it's easier to flog a lot of books when you're charging RRP £7.99. But to try and do this with RRP £20 hardbacks? No, that'd just hack people off and LOTF / FOTJ did do that by being all hardback first. Something NJO was quite canny on was it's combination of hardback / paperback releases.

The focus for the new material has been more on quality, coupled with greater attention to covers and interior design aesthetics - in these respects, they've succeeded very well.

The other new - and unexpected player for me - in all this has been Lucasfilm Press, which has put out a complimentary range, that claims to be for YA or younger, but which the actual material tends to defy its allocated age rating! Quite rebellious, but also fitting for SW. I think it's fair to say everyone got caught off-guard by how good its been too.

24. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I remember when the publishing output decreased, pre-Disney. It felt like a bummer and that SW was sorta...fading away.

It doesn't feel that way even remotely now. I can barely keep up with it all now. As many have noted, there has been a good deal of output AND the YA books have been very good. If you want to let a marketing label limit you, that's your choice of course. But I think it's a pretty limited understanding of good storytelling. Harry Potter was a children's book series, after all.

If you haven't liked anything SW since 2005...I see no reason why you will like anything else going forward, and I find it a bit odd and OCD to keep posting in SW forum for a franchise you have had no interst in for the past 12 years. Doubly odd to keep posting about how you haven't liked anything for 12 years. But... that's just me. I would have just moved on to something else.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I'm making waves

Stymi likes this.