main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why do people think Disney is going to stop making books/comics?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Outsourced, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    The_Forgotten_Jedi I listened to a podcast recently where one of the authors was interviewed. It sounded like this was a much bigger project than a typical novel. Storygroup had to coordinate with all of the authors so that there were no conflicts between the stories.

Edit: What DarthInternous said. :)

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The Rogue One Novelization. It still counts as a release.

3. Uncivilized

May 8, 2015
    Rogue One Novelization was released in December 2016 according to my source.

4. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    According to Wook it was released in January. Not sure exactly which one is correct. It would only be a couple week difference anyway so it wouldn't make much difference. The TFA hardback novelization was released in January of 2016 though.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ebook was released in December. Physical copy was released in January.

6. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016

I've seen arguments like these on here a few times, and they are just so silly.

No, they aren't publishing as many adult-oriented novels as pre-Disney, and many of those that they are publishing are of reduced interest to a lot of people for understandable reasons.

The increased number of YA novels, childrens books, sticker books, and reference books is completely irrelevant. You're not restricting yourself by not enjoying childrens' books or YA books and only reading Adult novels. If you are an adult and only enjoying the Adult novels then you are a perfectly normal adult and have every right to express disappointment at the reduced quantity and scope of Adult Star Wars novels.

Of course I’m not saying it’s “abnormal” for an adult to enjoy SW YA or even childrens’ novels, but suggesting that someone doesn’t have grounds for expressing disappointment in aforementioned “reduced quantity and scope of Adult Star Wars novels” because, “hey they have more kids books and they’re alright”, is simply idiotic and irrelevant.

I doubt many people here, if any, have any information regarding the pattern of future publishing, but the fact that Adult SW novels have reduced in quantity and scope is just that, a fact. You can “disagree” about whether that’s a bad thing or not, whatever, that’s all subjective.

re. Movie novelisations “counting” as releases, first of all clearly that’s a silly argument. In my book they don’t count because they aren’t original stories, but that’s just me. Doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy them though.

7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    How would you not enjoying something being "restricted by it"?

My point was that you should try the books that come out, despite their rating, because they're GOOD BOOKS.

8. Uncivilized

May 8, 2015
    We probably won't see adult novels ramp back up until after EP9. It seems Disney is keeping tight grip on the EU at the moment.

EmperorHorus likes this.
  9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    The YA books are every bit as mature as the Adult novels have been. Really the only difference is that the YA books are wrapping their stories around young adults (teens and early twenties types of characters). If your sticking you're nose up at the YA books simply because of the YA title than you are indeed missing out on some stories that you would likely enjoy.

10. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Firstly, no they aren't. You're on the right track in that the difference isn't as much as it probably could be, but that's more a result of the "adult-oriented" Star Wars books being more simplistic/"childish" (I don't mean that in a derogatory way) rather than the YA books being especially mature. That's just the nature of Star Wars.

I've read all of Ahsoka, Rebel Rising, Lost Stars, Princess Leia (pretty much just because they'reStar Wars) and I doubt I'll read them again. They were a struggle, but that's just me.

Which brings me to your next strange point. Not sure what you mean by "sticking your nose up" (your not you're btw, I mean no offence, I'm just a bit of a stickler), but if you're assuming every one who doesn't like the YA books just doesn't read them, well that's just silly.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This thread is a reaction to comments voiced by a small handful of folks who were lately wondering why we don't know the full novel roster for next year. By no means are the majority of us waving our hands in the air screaming about the sky falling. You guys aren't doing 20- or 9-book novels series anymore, so understandably the game has changed.

starfish, Dante1120, Vthuil and 6 others like this.
  12. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Ladies and gentlemen, the official WORST-kept secret on the boards: Zeta doesn't like the new canon and he's unhappy about it... :rolleyes:o_O[face_sick]

Exactly at what point do we get to say that we've had enough of this one-trick pony act?

13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    All I want are EU stories, particularly ones that ignore the post-NJO, but I see no evidence whatsoever that an EU story will ever be produced again. And if by some miracle one is actually published, I seriously doubt I will enjoy it given Del Rey's continued involvement. Little stories like The Last Hand by Paul Danner have captured the spirit of Star Wars in away that I just can't see a LFL that allowed TCW and TFA to happen to be able to accomplish.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah if one is produced I'm pretty sure it would just be a continuation of Crucible. So no hope for you 'Zeta'

JediBatman likes this.
  15. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I've said it before, "Legends" is so broad a banner, diverse in genre, medium, and quality that requests to "bring back Legends" are meaningless. "New Legends" could mean anything from The Force Unleashed 3 to a continuation of Dawn of the Jedi.

To me the part of a story that matters most is it's quality, not which continuity it falls under. "New stories in the Legends continuity!" means nothing if that story turns out to be Crystal Star II: Waru's Revenge, and consists of 400 pages of Trioculus and Jaxxon the Green Rabbit Man discussing what to order for lunch.

16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    This is possible going to come across as snooty, but aren't all Star Wars books essentially YA? There's never been a Star Wars book that I've proudly shown on my shelf next to Dumas or Tolkien. They're all essentially kids stuff. So the notion that you don't want to read something intended for teenagers as opposed to books intended for mature readers is rather like living in a glass house.

As for the OP, I agree, I don't see any evidence to support the absurd notion that anything is winding down. On Marvel's side, there are 4 ongoing comics and 2 active mini-series, such that pretty much every week there's a comic out. Them not flooding the market with books is a good thing.

Stymi likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't think Shatterpoint was really a kid's book. That one was pretty dark.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, no way would Shatterpoint be considered a kid's story.

19. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Same goes for Joe Schreiber's three horror novels.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    If we were getting series' these days I would probably be a whole lot more interested in the new novel scene. What happened to the sagas? Even trilogies are a dying species now. Most of these books are one-shots and/or tie-ins to something.

21. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    At the moment, and probably for the foreseeable future, all saga worthy stories are being restricted to movies. All the novels will just be glorified filler, which is depressing.

22. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
  23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015

Well I generally keep books on my bookshelf because I like them, not because I want to display to any passerby how cultured in literature I am. ;)

Anyway, given that "young adult" is such a broad label, that books or other media target at kids or teenagers/early twenty somethings can be mature and engaging stories, and that adults reading Harry Potter or The Hunger Games is socially acceptable, no I don't really see all Star Wars books as being YA. (Especially when, as others have said, there's some mature content in some of them. Heck even YA books can have a wolfman eating people or implied sex scenes).

redxavier likes this.
  24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Exactly. Nowhere is it more meaningless to try to draw some distinction between "adult" material and "young adult" material than in the current Star Wars canon novel landscape. The YA hardcovers from Disney-Lucasfilm Press stand fully alongside the Del Rey hardcovers in terms of both quality and maturity level.

redxavier, JediBatman and Stymi like this.
  25. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Nah. I changed my mind. Canto Bight is in December, 3 months later TLJ novelization, 3 months later Thrawn Alliances. Clockwork

Stymi likes this.