main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Whats a Force ability that probably exists but is never shown

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Force weather forecasting

Sarge likes this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    That would probably go under foresight.

I wonder could the Jedi or Sith survive in the vacuum of space by creating shields of force energy around themselves?

3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

Eh, it still really bottlenecked it into "force lightning because IMA BAD GUY" for the most part. Same with The Clone Wars, even though I love that show.

4. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    It would be foresight, but it would also need knowledge transmitting through the force into other peoples minds so they too know the forecast.

I think a force barrier could be just as effective at keeping normal air pressure in, as it has been to keep extreme high pressure out in Legends stories (explosions). Then they would just need a source of air like a Jedi breather, or the ability to meditate and slow down the body to a force stasis to conserve air, like Luke did in his x-wing hyperspace journeys, and hope/wait for rescue.

Sarge likes this.
  5. IneptAphid

IneptAphid Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2017
    Kind of a silly one..But using the force to control your bodies...functions. For example-you are on the Myrkyr strike team being hounded by Nom Anor. You really don't want to have to stop running to use the bathroom. So, use the force to slow digestion etc. like hibernation.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Tenel Ka used the force to delay her pregnancy. So I imagine using the force to halt or slow one's extretory functions is certainly possible.

I imagine Jedi discipline and resolve would help with this.

7. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I'm surprised Jedi can ever be interrogated. Couldn't one telekinetically crush their own brain? All it would take is the willpower to deny yourself to the enemy.

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Jedi can be restrained-force couplings, ysalamiri, bound by force fields, and racks like the embrace of pain.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  9. Cantankerous Ordo

Cantankerous Ordo Jedi Padawan

Jul 2, 2017
    damn man, that's kind of extreme. plus you don't think the pain of trying to do that would break the focus they would need to actually do it?

Mia Mesharad and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Agreed, I'd imagine that would kind of be like attempting to strangle yourself to death with your bare hands, aka anatomically impossible.

Revanfan1, Jedi Ben and Sarge like this.
  11. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    If a Sith can Force choke somebody, couldn't they just as easily stop someone's heart?

Has that ever been shown?

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I think so. But, even if not, it has been because it's just another application of telekinesis rather than an "ability" in its own right.

13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Could a powerful force user actually slow down or stop even someone in time? The "Force Slow" and "Force Stasis" in games like KotoR are more physical powers in that slow would make someone confused, clumsy and drunk like. And stasis would just freeze someone in place, unable to move but with their mind unaffected. The ability to control someone's time though would be a much more powerful ability. So if you froze an opponent, they would never know it. Move your position and then unfreeze them and to them it would just look like you teleported. A force user with this ability would never need time to sleep. By speeding themselves up they could make their own time to sleep, 8 hours of sleep in the space of 8 real seconds. I think this power might be too much for star wars.

But thinking about this, wouldn't Kylo Ren have to have frozen time around the blaster fire in TFA? Even if it was an object fired and not a laser, it wouldn't maintain its light and wouldn't continue to appear as a streak if it was just stopped in the air. But when he later uses it on Rey it acts more like a conventional muscle paralysing freeze.[face_dunno]

BookExogorth likes this.
  14. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Could there be a force power that would stave off hunger/starvation?

15. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

I think only by slowing their body and metabolization down. Nobody could just create energy out of nowhere to power their body. Maybe they could use the force to combine and transform inedible substances into a kind of emergency ration bar for energy.

BookExogorth likes this.
  16. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    On that note, how far can the force go in creating/transforming things? There were a few who could walk through walls, which would be a change, and the sith had the beasts, but how else could that be applied?

17. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    In the Darth Bane novels, young Bane unknowingly kills his abusive father when he imagines a fist closing around his heart and gives him a heart attack in his sleep.

18. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    Ah you're right! I forgot about that.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Also in the second Darth Bane novel, when Bane went to the Onderon moon, he used a dxum shielded him with the force and was able to fly out of the moon into space and back into Onderon. So the force shield to survive in the vacuum of space has been done before albeit in legends.

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The Darth Plegieus novel was also very good at describing powers that some sith were alleged to be able to do. Page 249 (hardcover book) alludes to sith recording sith holocrons with their abilities to fly, become invisible, and bend space and time. Not everyone can do it, only certain individuals. Real cool book. Many of the force powers that many of you have described are in the old eu either in novel, comic book, video game, or role playing book, or magazine.

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Darth Plagueis did doubt those alleged abilities though or at least the ancient Sith achieving them. Though they are quite possible in legends I think.

As for stopping someone-force stasis, as for hunger and starvation-I think a trained Jedi or Sith could last far longer than average beings. Some like the exile or others might use force drain to gain energy from the surrounding life.

As for transforming things-there was a Jedi that could manipulate matter on a molecular level, and walking through walls, and creating monsters I think shows just how far the force can be used to change/manipulate substances and matter. Though the limits of this are unclear. I'm not sure if Jedi or Sith could manipulate individual quarks and leptons or re-engineer their own bodies down to the Planck level.

22. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

Certainly in Legends, but most likely not in Canon. The Force had a lot more powers in Legends. Canon it is just mostly for deus ex machina

23. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    You say that like there is some kind of rule in canon that says force powers must only be what you have seen already and nothing else must be added.

If a canon KotOR or TotJ is made then you'd see all kinds of crazy powers on show, just like the Marvel movies and TV.

24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I always liked Legends broader and deeper interpretation of what was possible with the force.

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    One thing I like about Battlefront II is that Maul uses a super fast long range spinning maneuver similar to what Sidious does. SO both of them are capable of such a devastation killing technique.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018