main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT "Seeing you alive brings warm feelings to my heart"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by StartCenterEnd, Oct 7, 2017.

1. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Yoda really likes Padme and admires her as a leader and thinks she is so very vital and necessary for the galaxy and the Republic. He probably admires her because of her courage yes but mostly her pacifism She is probably the strongest pacifist in the senate. If you think about it, if Padme defeated the military creation act as she wanted and succeeded in getting the trade federation and other corporate guilds broken up, the republic would have had no clone army, the war would not have started and Palpatine could not have become Emperor.

I never noticed this before but I think it's pretty cool that Yoda has this inkling that the galaxy needs Padme.

2. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I believe Yoda feels she's good for the Republic, he also remembers her as a young lady and has good feelings seeing her alive. I do think Yoda likes seeing good hearted young individuals develop into strong good women and men. I believe he feels joy in teaching younglings as well.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Did he have to add in the "alive" though? Adds in the darkness of her impending assassination to an otherwise bright warm moment of safety.

4. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Possibly he said that in relief? He’s relieved that she’s alive and OK for the most part.

5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    He's grown attached to her.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    A wonderful little scene. Despite the trying circumstances in which the meeting takes place, I love how the scene serves as a snapshot of normalcy in that we see both Yoda's warmth and Padme being appreciative but focused on her job. This is in contrast to Yoda's relative coldness in meeting Anakin for the first time, as well as the awkward manner in which he tests Luke upon meeting him on Dagobah. Very cool to see a more "relaxed" Yoda even in a time of great stress and trouble. Part of why I love the PT so much is how seemingly small scenes like this add up to broaden the overall Star Wars canvas. Scenes like this are why AOTC more so than any other entry to me presents a legitimately lived-in filmic world.

ss640, Grievousdude, Tonyg and 6 others like this.
  7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That's downright logical.

No. It just means that he is expresses his feelings that she survived due to the planning of her security detail. The same way that he expressed his feelings towards the Wookiees when he left and when Obi-wan saw his friend Dex.

B3 and theraphos like this.
  8. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Doesn't sound like he's prepared to let them go. In fact he declares he will miss them not long after telling Anakin not to miss ones you lose.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Yoda x Tarfful x Chewie OT3

As for topic....

while I think it's certainly true Yoda sees Padme's importance politically, I think that lines just more like "Yo, I'm glad you're alive". Yoda's the type of person who values all life, and he's certainly the type to abhor murder

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If he was attached, why did he leave and not stay? That's what Anakin would have done. Yoda is able to leave because he is not attached to them and he doesn't know what their fates are, because the Clonetroopers could very well kill them. He will miss them, but he is not attached to them. He is not worried about their fates. Anakin has already buried Padme before anything has happened and he's missing her while she is still there.

11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Anakin spends more time not in Padme's company than in it during this movie. So using your logic he was well prepared to let her go at any moment.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin still comes home to Padme, every night. Anakin made a commitment to her. He became attached to her. Yoda did not make a commitment to the Wookiees to stay and fight after Order 66 came down. He insisted that the Wookiees help him leave so that he can deal with the situation at hand. He is not attached to the Wookiees. When he leaves, he doesn't know that they will die or live. He has let them go when he has chosen to leave Kashyyyk. Anakin has already seen Padme die and believes it to be inevitable. He has already decided to do whatever it takes to save her when he's sitting in the living room of Padme's apartment, based on a vow that he made three years ago at his mother's grave.

Mostly Handless and theraphos like this.
  13. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    Yeah, I don't know if Yoda shuns all feelings PERIOD. He just sees it as a constant struggle to learn to let go of those he cares about. At the same time Yoda isn't this emotionless machine. He feels emotions, he forms attachments whether he wants to or not, but as he tells Anakin, his response is to train himself to let go of everything he fears to lose. That doesn't mean it's easy for Yoda either. You can tell when he's leaving the wookiees, it's very difficult for him and he looks to be about to burst into tears but he does it anyway. He does look sad when Padme dies as well. I don't think Jedi are supposed to not have compassion for lifeforms. Their entire mission in life is to prevent as much death and suffering as possible. When Yoda says not to miss or mourn people who die, he doesn't mean not to be sorry for their death, he's just guarding against missing them because you were attached to them and greedily want to possess them forever. Anakin was sad Padme died because he wanted her forever, to keep her as his love. Yoda felt sadness over Padme's death because the galaxy lost a great leader and a good person died an early tragic death. Contrast Obi Wan checking for Padme's life signal after Anakin choked her while Anakin does not. Anakin greedily wants to possess Padme because he's attached to her but Obi Wan is simply concerned about Padme because she's a sentient life form who suffered an injury. Compassion verses possession is key here I think.

It makes Yoda more complex. He struggles with the same issue all Jedi do, he's just able to overcome while others do not. Though I do understand how some can see him as a bit of a hypocrite.

14. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Yoda and Padmé had clearly formed a bond over their mutual appreciation of Geonosian architecture and city planning.

15. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    So, essentially - No attachments except the kind of attachments that you see Yoda acknowledging or expressing.

16. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    I can't speak for anyone else but that's not what I'm saying. I was just pointing out how it's an on-going struggle for all Jedi, even Yoda. It's not like once you become a master you never have attachments but you are better at dealing with and moving on from it.

17. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Marty, I am attempting to take you as seriously as possible but I'm not sure you understand the context here. Yoda does nothing in the film to display attachment to anyone. He only expresses his genuine care for her.

18. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    That's because you're filtering people's actions through the spurious concept, devised expressly to explain Anakin's turn to the darkside, i.e. attachment is bad, forbidden, the darkside. He is expressing an emotional attachment. He realises he will never see the Wookies again so he'll miss them. I can't think of any logical, practical or pragmatic reason Yoda could have for wanting to be around Wookies

You and I both know that actual emotional attachment is not as clear cut as that. People are able to compartmentalise and cope with absence or death and still be honest to the emotional connections we have. Like when Yoda spontaneously acknowledges that he will miss Chewbacca. Even though he's told Anakin he must not do this. And he didn't say "depending on the specific context". If context was important it would have been an explicit part of the code.

Maybe it's deliberate and meant to show us that in spite of the what they say, council members allow themselves latitude that they don't permit other Jedi to enjoy.

19. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

In context, he was talking about when someone died and became one with the force no?

Human morality is not as clear cut as it seems to be, I agree.

But attachment implies "binding" to one another and Yoda has not shown himself to do so..

"An enduring emotional bond that develops between one adult and another in an intimate relationship"

20. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    But the Jedi code is unambiguously prohibitive of attachment. There is not mitigating context or extenuating provided by the Jedi code or whatever is deemed to be the Jedi way. This is what is indoctrinated into younglings and demanded of Jedi knights.

It is prohibitive in order to pre-empt any risk of an unconscionable error of judgement and behavior as a result of an dysfunctional person forming a dysfunctional relationship with someone or something that they have some emotional attachment to, not matter how normal the nature of the attachment may be in the first place.

What Yoda is shown doing is reflecting the actual complexion of normal human emotion, including emotional attachments, which most people can cope with. And it is in direct opposition with what he tells Anakin he must and must not do. In other words, it's do as Yoda says, but not as he does.

And the occasion that prompts Yoda to do this is the knowledge or at least the belief that he is never going to see Chewbacca again. That's no different from missing someone who is dead.

Anakin wasn't bound to his mother except by birth and blood. He was effectively emancipated and set free. Yet his attachment, by birth and not choice, is the cause of his descent into fear, anger hatred greed.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Again, not an attachment. Yoda had friends who he left behind to fend for themselves, because he had a duty elsewhere to perform. He doesn't shirk his duty to the Republic to stay on Kashyyyk. He doesn't lose control of his emotions. He even goes into seclusion on Dagobah, rather than go back to Kashyyyk.

Because he's friends with the Wookiees. Jedi are allowed to have friendships. Obi-wan is friends with Bail, Dex, Jar Jar, Cody, Rex, Ahsoka and Padme. Kanan is friends with Hera, Sabine and Zeb. Same with Ezra, who also counts Hondo as a friend as well. Anakin saw Jar Jar as a friend, as well as Rex. Luke was friends with Han, Chewie, Biggs, Wedge, Janson and Lando. Rey is friends with Finn, Han and Chewie. The Jedi are allowed and encouraged to make friends. They just cannot form attachments to people.

theraphos likes this.
  22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    removed - no personal attacks

23. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    quote removed - no personal attacks

Surly I still have some Midiclorian bars left to feed him...

24. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Miss them, do not / Miss you, I will.

It's about as clear a contradiction in terms as you can get.

If Yoda practiced what he preached then he would have said - Miss you, I must not.

25. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    No. No, not really.

Yoda CAN miss someone in terms of grieving over the fact he can’t stay with his Wookie friends. What he can’t do is let his emotions govern him, forcing him to stay even though he’s really needed elsewhere.

In terms of “Miss them, do not”, he means not letting grief blind you and control your life. Yes, feel sad that someone you cared about has died, but don’t let it rule you.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.