main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Personally, I wouldn´t rank the Inquisitors that low; after all if they are not capable of defeating Jedi in battle, in kinda defeats the purpose of having just a handful of them around. The thing is, the difference in knowledge and power between an average Jedi and a Sith Lord seems to be quite high: there is plenty of room in between for the Inquisitors to inhabit, being capable warriors quite able to defeat Jedi, but not enough to be a threat to the Sith.

I seem to remember Filoni ranking the best Inquisitors on par with Ventress; that´s not bad at all in my book. I think an important element one can consider is that things do change over time. It would be quite unrealistic that the level the untrained Inquisitors could show at this point in this comic is the same they show 15 years later. Experience and training make a big difference in how one approaches and succeed in the face of obstacles, so the fact that the 6th Brother was said to be relatively untrained in 18 BBY doesn´t mean he would have stayed exactly that way 2 decades later...

Darth Marcia likes this.
  2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Inquisitors are really just a tool the Sith use. They're an added bonus in the Empire's arsenal because they're lone wolves, kind of like bounty hunters. They already had a grudge against the Jedi.

Ithorians likes this.
  3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I don't recall that quote. I doubt that any of the Inquisitors were Ventress's level. Asajj could hold her own against Sith Lords and Jedi Masters, for a time. The best of the Inquisitors was beaten by a Padawan.

The Inquisitors lack both skill and power and make up for that deficiency through the use of technology and other techniques.

Grand Inquisitor used archive records to study up on lightsaber styles and used Makashi to outmaneuver his opponents.

Fifth Brother used brute strength and the raw power of the Dark Side to make up for a lack of speed and agility.

Seventh Sister and Eighth Brother were the deadliest Inquisitors to me. Both were very agile and used speed to overwhelm their opponents. They both utilized technology in battle to a great degree. Seventh Sister used her droids to aid her and Eighth Brother used mini-grenades, his spinning lightsaber for flight and its buzz-saw hilt.

The problem with relying on technology instead of inherent skill and power is that tech is apart from the individual and can be destroyed or damaged. Seventh Sister's droids are all destroyed by Maul and Ezra in her final battle and outnumbered, she was defeated. Eighth Brother was similarly outnumbered and attempted to flee with his damaged spinning lightsaber, which failed in mid-flight.

To take this line of thought further, the Sith understand that true strength comes from within, because that is the type of strength that lasts. Inner strength which comes from purpose, resolve and steadfast belief will triumph over external strength. That's why the Grand Inquisitor lost in the final confrontation. Because Kanan wasn't just fighting for himself. He was fighting for his apprentice, indeed with his apprentice for a time. It's only when he thinks Ezra is gone that Kanan fully remembers his old Jedi teachings. That's when he embraces the Force completely and draws on that power to overwhelm the Grand Inquisitor.

It should be noted that GI is defeated by Kanan and Vader in the same fashion. Both of them destroy his spinning
    Iightsaber, which he resorts to using when outmatched.

[​IMG]

kalzeth likes this.
  4. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I think this is better. If Vader recruited them without the Emperor's help, it would be seen as Vader's secret Sith apprentices.

Vialco likes this.
  5. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    I´ll try to find the time of check that quote for you, but still I mostly agree with everything you said. From what I remember, Filoni pretty much said that the best ones were around her level (not above in any case) and that they would be able to deal with most Jedi that are still around during the Dark Times. I also remember him saying that, in case of finding someone of Obi-Wan´s level, they would call Vader and not face him/her directly.

But what I was trying to imply earlier, is that the Sith are not running some sort of welfare from the kindness of their heart, something like "you were a Jedi, but now you want to serve us? come, all are welcome, you will have no skill and abilities and still we´ll give you a high rank within our Empire and no goals to accomplish with it. We just want you around" :D

I think the GI and the others must get some victories in this comic, for us to understand why Kanan´s victory was a one time deal. Honestly, I´ve never saw Kanan as superior to any of the Inquisitors shown in Rebels. He went from complete underdog to being able to contend with them... and still, that same Kanan, but blinded, was able to beat Maul, so I don´t think we can rely so much on him defeating the GI to prove the latter is some kind of a weakling...

A little quote I did find about him to support this:

kalzeth and Darth Marcia like this.
  6. Darth Marcia

Darth Marcia Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2016
    I agree with both. The Inquisitors do rely on technology to compensate for lack of training (well, he Fifth Brother didn´t) but that´s lack of training compared to a Sith. Doesn´t mean they are not capable on their own, it´s just a matter of perspective, because Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, etc were meant to be extraordinary Jedi, not average ones
    With average ones, I think the Inquisitors could deal without problems. Kanan did beat the GI only to be beaten in seconds, later, by 5th and 7th, so it´s not like he was far above them in any case.

What I want to see now in the comic is some hunting of unremarkable jedi, to see some successes in the Inquisitorius side for a change. There must be at least a few, if they worked for so long in a sith ruled empire...

kalzeth and Ithorians like this.
  7. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Seventh Sister and Fifth Brother double-teamed Kanan. Eighth Brother sucker-kicked him from behind while flying in. Note that soon after their fight became face-to-face Eighth Brother was left with a damaged lightsaber and an enemy that he knew was beyond him.

kalzeth likes this.
  8. Darth Marcia

Darth Marcia Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2016
    I see. I always felt they were betting the better of him regardless, and that the Eighth Brother tried to run because we know he didn´t feel up to the idea of facing 3 Jedi at the same time (can´t really blame him) much less go 1vs3 against Ahsoka, Kanan AND Maul.

Anyway, I find very interesting that the inquisitors were up and running perhaps even before order 66. Is it possible that they had some participation in the Jedi Purge?

kalzeth and Ithorians like this.
  9. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    That´s a surprising possibility!!! Before Vader #6, I would have never imagined that the Inquisitorius was already working by this time, but now, and knowing that they are in Coruscant, there are openings for that kind of story... it could work if some Jedi managed to escape the temple during the attack. Shaak Ti was said to have done just that in Legends at some point, and perhaps Jocasta Nu (and others) could have done it too in canon, but we will only know for sure in the next issues...

kalzeth and Darth Marcia like this.
  10. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I'm ready for some awesome team up issues between The Inquisitorius and Vader.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think we'll just need to ignore some of the character shields and plot induced stupidity of the villains in Rebels. It's a kiddie show and imo a pretty dumb one to boot.

The Inquisitors were weak and dumb in Rebels but that doesn't mean they can't be salvaged from the heap. They can still be shown as badasses and made into more interesting characters. There's some potential there that I hope will be realized by the authors dealing with them.

kalzeth likes this.
  12. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I don't understand where the Inquisitors are shown as bumbling oafs.

Grand Inquisitor dominated Kanan in their first two fights. He encountered some serious resistance in their third duel because Kanan had been practicing hard. In their final fight, Grand Inquisitor was defeated due to a number of factors that went against him.

Seventh Sister and Fifth Brother beat Ezra, Sabine and Zeb so easily that they were forced to run for their lives.

In their next appearance they tag-teamed Kanan. Seventh Sister ragdolled Ezra with a gesture. Ahsoka had to show up and save the Ghost crew from certain defeat.

In their third appearance, Kanan has to bullseye a blast door control to block their way, implying he knows he's no match for them both.

In their fourth appearance, they beat Kanan and Ezra so hard that the Jedi are dangling from a cliff for dear life.

Even on Malachor they're no pushovers. The Rebels required Maul's aid to match the Inquisitors. Remember that Maul and Ahsoka are on a higher level than any Inquisitor. Without Lady Tano and Lord Maul, Kanan and Ezra have little hope.

There's a subtle moment in Shroud of Darkness where Kanan basically suggests hunting down the Inquisitors to Ahsoka. When she rejects the idea he doesn't pursue it further on his own. Because he knows that without Ahsoka's help they don't have a chance. Inquisitors are quite deadly when facing an average foe, such as a former Padawan or an half-trained teenager. They're not supposed to be facing greater enemies than that. When they come across Maul, they immediately call Vader because they know that this is a foe beyond them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

And yet you couldn't answer one of my concerns? Thanks no thanks.

14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The intent of my post wasn't to address your concerns. It was designed to poke fun at how seriously you decided to nitpick the issue and general aggressive tone, which you seem to have continued in your last post. The fact I even have to explain this is pretty demonstrative.

revan772 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Well, since you did ask.

1. There are very few Jedi left after the Purge. So few that Vader had to go looking for a Barash Taker to obtain his crystal. How would Yoda even find them? Remember that Palpatine knows that Yoda and Obi-Wan still live. Even as late as a few years before Yavin, Vader and Palpatine are on the lookout for any hint of those two. Any activity by Yoda to rally Jedi would have thousands of clones and Vader chasing after him.
    2. Vader serves to handle any powerful Jedi survivors. The best of the Inquisitors was beaten by a former Padawan. What chance would they have against Ahsoka, Obi-Wan or Yoda?
    3. Yes. That's exactly what they do because that's their purpose. If you think that those seven Inquisitors combined could actually take down Vader and Palpatine, then you should take a look at their feats. Vader beat the foremost Inquisitor without breaking a sweat. Even all seven of them combined wouldn't be enough to defeat him. They might injure him a fair bit, but the weakest of their number would fall very fast. Remember that Maul killed Seventh Sister and Fifth Brother in seconds.
    4. That's a good question. I would think that Palpatine simply gave them kybers taken from the Jedi Temple. The Republic military was experimenting with kybers during the Clone Wars as well, so there are multiple sources they could have obtained them from.
    5. Spinning lightsabers have been a thing since 2014. You're a bit late to the party there.

revan772, Ithorians and Outsourced like this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The Inquisitors in Rebels fell for every dumb trick the Rebels had in store and were often beaten by them as well. Only the GI was somewhat more powerful but even he couldn't accomplish his mission and was beaten by mediocre Jedi Kanan. So sorry, you won't convince me that they were badasses in the show.

However, like I said, the show isn't everything.

kalzeth and La Calavera like this.
  17. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    What tricks did they fall for? And when were they beaten? It's been a while since I watched the first season so I may be forgetting some stuff with the Grand Inquisitor, but the Seventh Sister and Fifth Brother were only ever beaten when Maul or Ahsoka were in the picture.

Ithorians likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    GI was soundly beaten by Kanan, who never received full training himself. Ahsoka, who's also just a former Jedi wannabe, defeated both the Inquisitors at the same time.
    As for being outwitted, in the first episode the new Inquisitors appeared they were outsmarted by the heroes.
    They give the impression of being lowly darkside pawns rather than a threat to a real Jedi.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Perhaps because of Rebels’ storytelling and characterization choices, but I got the strong impression that the Inquisitors are barely Jedi Knight level, and it’s going to be hard for me to change that impression of them.

It would still be interesting to see a group of Inquisitors trying to catch/defeat a Jedi, or competing against each other for that goal. But preferably without Vader’s interfering. Because with Vader, the Inquisitors do feel like stormtrooper fodder.

darthcaedus1138 and kalzeth like this.
  20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    ...after beating Kanan twice before.

Ahsoka, who fought in a literal war, and has fough the Inquisitors before.

BigAl6ft6 and Vialco like this.
  21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Hm, I think it's possible to change the impression through re-contextualization. Just like we except that the characters in the OT are powerful despite wonky special effects and less flashy choreography. If this comic keeps it's dark, serious tone it could be easier to accept the Inquisitors as proper threats. If we see one of them commit a truly heinous act it would help as well.

Ithorians and spicer like this.
  22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Ahsoka trained under Anakin and fought in many important battles in the Clone Wars. She probably would've been knighted if she didn't quit. She's no slouch during her duel with Vader. Just because she left the Jedi Order doesn't mean she's not a powerful force user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slater, revan772, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I didn't say she was a slouch. But she's still a Jedi dropout despite all the poetry Filoni is waxing about her.

And why all the defensiveness because I'm not impressed by a couple kiddie show villains? I'm sorry, but the way they were portrayed you'll never get me to ever take them seriously in that context.

spicer likes this.
  24. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    People are being defensive because you're outright ignoring certain things to try and make your point.

Vthuil, cwustudent and Daneira like this.
  25. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree with Darth_Pevra on the inquisitors in Rebels. I am a huge fan of the show, but we don't have to pretend that it's more serious than it is. The inquisitors in Rebels are typical cartoon villains. I hope that this comic realizes its full potential by not dropping to the same level as the show just for consistency's sake.

kalzeth and Darth_Pevra like this.