main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books From a Certain Point of View, [A New Hope] 40th anniversary anthology novel (#OperationBlueMilk)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Apr 6, 2017.

1. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    so would i like them to continue with the other films so what stories would you guys and gals like for an esb one i would like a lobot one ! and what line from the film do you think they would use for its title ?

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Would you be complaining if the story had mentioned Ackmena's husband, instead?

I was not aware that Ackmena's sexuality was a huge part of her character in the Holiday Special. Granted, I have only (fortunately) seen it once.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It is not "changing a character" to add a detail not addressed in the original product, unless you are also objecting to the entire notion of an EU in general.

For some reason it is ok to have entire novels adding details about movie characters much more important than Tarkin or Ackmena, but homosexuality is a tremendous outrage.

I don't buy it. It just comes across as "keep your gays out of my movies."

Well, sorry. If they came out tomorrow with a book about how His Imperial Majesty the Galactic Emperor was gay, I'd just say "so he is then."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Seems like a perfect time to post this gif that always upsets the homophobes:
    [​IMG]

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Honestly, I didn't even recall who she was or pay much attention to the mention of a wife.

TK-421 was the most overtly explored story of sexual orientation in Star Wars. So...hard to miss. Lol. But it was both really fun and a little heartbreaking at the same time. And just well written.

I find it very suspect that a story in which the main human character is gay (was the MSE the main character?) to clearly be an example of "bad writing."

I'm really glad to see this called out.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Daneira likes this.
  6. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    If anything was forced and destracting it was the needless Greedo love triangle. I thought MSE was very well done in comparison to that.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  7. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Page 185, "Born in the Storm" - "freezing your balls off"

well this is new

page 186 - "unadulterated bantha piss"

page 187 - "there was sand in my butt crack"

page 192 - "little fuzz bugger", "crap stained glasses"

This story is BREAKING NEW GROUND

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    No that would be Rogue One.

9. Frodo_harry

Frodo_harry Jedi Master

Jan 27, 2008
    Yes YEs please I beg you
    yes yes please I beg you

10. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    SWpants likes this.
  11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Looking good!

Some things to add though:
    It's implied that the mining colony from Laina is Burnin Konn from Uprising, since it's mentioned at the end of the story and the descriptions match up. Also, the stormtrooper from Bump is TD-755's commander from Born in the Storm, and he's specifically referenced by number. There's probably more, but i'll have to go back through.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wow, I go to work for a day and this thread goes nuts.

I can't say I got on that well with MSE and Men because of the blizzard of tech speak - I get what it was going for but it just didn't work for me.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    You really should reconsider that whole work thing.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Does "The Sith of Datawork" recanonize Bolvan and Hija?

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, pay me?

16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I feel like the privilege of reading my posts is more than enough compensation.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

17. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I don't think anything in this book has the power to full swatch re-canonize anything from legends. Names/places? Sure. Full story arcs...not so much

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, it isn't - pay me or I'll have to go to work tomorrow.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Ok. Just send me your banking information, please.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I was asking if it recanonizes the names.

21. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    My point was that it probably recanonizes the officers, but not the stories they were involved in.
    the events of "The Lesser Evil" for example

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

22. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Just bought the book tonight. So excited to read it!

23. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    The best new canon books beside Thrawn until now imo

TheRedBlade and Dagobahsystem like this.
  24. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    ^Yea, I've read the first 8 stories and this book is amazing so far. Such a unique concept and all the stories flow seamlessly to tell the story of the film. Brilliant.

And I can already say that hopefully they do this again for the rest of the films, maybe on each 40th anniversary.

25. Frodo_harry

Frodo_harry Jedi Master

Jan 27, 2008
    I read the first few stories and I was blown away. The stories set in the Cantina feel like a continuation of the Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. I am a bit split about the use of Legends characters. On the one hand it made me so happy to see that Figrin D'an, the Tonnika Sisters and A'Yark are canon again sort of, and again it felt like a continuation of their stories, but on the other hand it does muddle the narrative to bring in Legends characters and their reason for scrapping the old EU was to make it easier for new fans. The other thing I worry about is if they are canonised, will they still be recognizable as the same characters we love and remember or will they be changed to fit this new canon?

To be honest I was a bit disappointed with the Obi Wan Qui Gon story, but that could be because I was listening to it late at night. I may have to relisten to it. By the way does anyone know if there are any audio books of the old Tales from the... Anthology Series. I love the books and it would be great if I could listen to them on my way to work.

Nevertheless I'll read the rest of the stories and if their quality remains this consistently good, I will gladly recommend the book.

TheRedBlade likes this.