main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    They definitely needed to give us this in TFA. Bloodline essentially suggests that is the case. Not so much all Force-users, but the only prominent ones out there because their daddy is Darth kriffing Vader. How that informs Kylo's turn is still a mystery to me.

Could just be that his immense raw power was already pushing him over the edge and finding out about Vader, that his family lied by omission, and the whole galaxy hates them... he takes it as a sign of the will of the Force or something.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh if we're going full X-Men then Snoke can be Rey and Kylo's time travelling son from the bad future.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You jest, but I would seriously love that.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I would prefer they keep time travel out of Star Wars.

Also now I have the old x-men cartoon theme music stuck in my head.

Revanfan1, PCCViking, AusStig and 2 others like this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm having a terrible time trying to find the source, but I heard about two weeks ago that Williams has something to do with this one. Besides it being his music. Of course.

You haven't seen TFA yet, have you? There's a scene with Unkar that foreshadows... things.
    Also dude just watch the first one. This is like those times when we reminiscence about fond childhood experiences watching the Ewok movies and then after a while someone admits they never saw them and just read the Wook article.

darthcaedus1138 and Darth_Duck like this.
  6. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    My main hope is that TLJ answers most of the important questions because I really don't trust JJ to give satisfying answers.

Ep.9: Return of the Jedi Jedi

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Episode IX: The Three Words

You heard it here first.

WMIRTUTSF, Stymi and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I think the show time is going to be about two and a half hours like has been reported. When I bought tickets online they seem to be showing it every three and a half hours in each individual theater. I imagine it is standard procedure to have an hour inbetween showtimes to allow everyone to leave and the crew to come in and clean everything up before the people for the next showtime start arriving.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's weird, I got the 30 dollar (!) Last Jedi Opening Fan Event tickets at 6 PM and then the 9:45 show in the same theatre / screen. (Yes, I am seeing it twice in a row. I mean, no duh.) And the flick is listed at 2 hours and 30 minutes. Now most theatres there's about 40 minutes in between cleanup time and starting the next show. But if it starts at 6 and is over by 8:30 an hour and 15 minute gap is pretty huge. So I did see on Star Wars dot com the 6 PM "Opening night fan event" does have some giveaways for swag (Basically, I see it as I'm paying an extra 12 dollars for swag)

These premium events will include exclusive content, Star Wars collectible cards, and a special concession offer. Plus, Star Wars: The Last Jedi will start at 6 p.m. local time, one hour earlier than regular public show times.

so maybe the Opening Night Fan Event might have some extra content in front of it from the cast and crew?

10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm not sure I would want to hear the cast talk right before I watched the movie for the first time. Listening to some of the casts real life accents right before I saw their characters onscreen I think might take me out of the experience just a bit. I want to strictly be thinking about the characters within the Star Wars universe while watching the movie for the first time and not the actors/actresses that play them.

I often don't like watching Talking Dead right after a Walking Dead episode for the same reasons. I think it is a little jarring hearing all the british accents that the actors have in real life right after I got done watching a show where their characters all have strong southern accents.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah is entirely possible that won't happen, I'm just wondering what the extra 12 bucks was for an "Exclusive Fan Opening Night Event" and the press release mentions "exclusive content" so hopefully it'll be more than just being able see the movie an hour earlier and a Porg fidget spinner.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Re: trailer editing trickery- it’s entirely possible that those two shots aren’t from the same scene, but when edited together as they are they better convey a legitimate part of the film in a way that’s more effective for a trailer (or obscures other spoilers).

In other words, it could be deceptive and truthful simultaneously.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    So what the trailer showed us was true... from a certain point of view?

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on overanalyzing a couple minutes of footage designed to create hype.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I took it upon myself to watch The Last Jedi.

I was wrong.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Disney thinks getting the chance to do a fidget spinner trick shot is worth an extra 12 bucks.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I wonder how well my page 1 (February 5, 2016) speculation will hold up?

(the last one obviously isn't true anymore, but I think it was a good guess... same with Naboo as the new capital)

18. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I completely approve of Naboo being the new capital. In ANH Infinities, Coruscant is destroyed and when the New Republic took over, Naboo was its capital.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Naboo as the new galactic capital only really makes any sense in Doylist terms.

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Do y'all reckon the space band-aid is there to explain how Kylo shifts his lame TFA scar across his face so it looks more badass?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Moving scars around was Anakin's hobby. Kylo is just finishing what he started.

22. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    He stills looks like a wannabe looser, which is hilarious.

Sorry Kylo, but Real Badasses like Vader didn’t wear band-aids. Especially not goth band-aids.

They wear pointless codpieces instead.

23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    a real dark sider would have a pink band aid.

Senator Wan, Son of a Bith and Stymi like this.
  24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    On a curious note, there is a bike gang in the city I live whose signature trait is wearing Hello Kitty accessories. Which I think is pretty cool, but it’s also Japan.

25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Will you accept the space band-aid if it officially called a bacta-patch?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk