main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. IneptAphid

IneptAphid Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2017
    In a word, No. I don't like the new canon. I feel they tossed out decades of work ,decades of character development, for no reason.

I think they could have easily adapted the canon to the new movies-considering they seem to be basing a lot of it on similar ideas anyway. I can;t be the only one who sees Jason Solo when i look at Kylo Ren right? The imperial remnant is basically the same..even Thrawn is coming back now. So why destroy years and years of development?

The SW canon was something special-to have that many people working in so many forms of media for so long-books, films, comics,video games,, and all of it fitting together...I consider it being relegated to "Legends" a travesty.

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    wut

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Because it would be basically impossible to make new material with the minefield that is legends, and adaptations would probably alienate new fans as well as ticking off old ones that see inconsistencies.

4. IneptAphid

Oct 9, 2017
    Jacen! It's 4:21 am here...cut me some slack :D

5. IneptAphid

Oct 9, 2017
    I know...but i'm still not happy. Ah well..I suppose I need to just accept it and enjoy both canons for what they are. It was just hard to take after following those same characters with their set histories for so long, for it all suddenly to change.

6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It hasn't changed. Both versions are equal, except one doesn't have new stories (And went on for 30+ years) while the other one does.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  7. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I think it's totally possible to enjoy both versions. I may not be well versed in Legends, but from what I've gathered it seems like a very cool universe to follow. At the same time, I'm enjoying what Canon as done for the series as well.

8. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    I like both legends and canon.

9. IneptAphid

Oct 9, 2017
    I suppose I was a little one sided in my views..And I know the original canon made changes for major events like the movies etc as well. I will give the new canon a chance, and try to enjoy both for what they are. I only joined the forum yesterday-but it is helping to change my mind. Seeing people as passionate about SW as me being able to accept and really enjoy the new canon gives me ..a new hope. (Sorry, i had to )

10. Sanguinius

Sanguinius Jedi Knight

Mar 1, 2017
    This is petty but really my only issue with new canon outside of the typical complaints is that it came right before we got Sword of the Jedi, and I was really looking forward to reading it. I'm interested where new canon will go though.

Daneira and kalzeth like this.
  11. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I've heard about Sword of the Jedi, what was it supposed to be about? Like what characters was it going to follow?

12. IneptAphid

Oct 9, 2017
    With a title like that, I assume it was about Jaina Solo

Sanguinius and kalzeth like this.
  13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I can relate to that. My first thought of the Disney buyout was negative. I was pretty sure we wouldn't get Sword...that they'd have to kill the EU. I was looking forward to the trilogy.

But... that's about it. Why rehash the past and keep pounding on the same issue instead of going forward?

I never understood, the "all those stories I love are gone" response. No they're not. No story I've ever read is gone. The series is just not continued. Two totally different things.

And it's done now. It's been years. How long can you harp on the demise of your nerd fiction franchise?

If you don't like the new stuff on it's own merit, fine. Your opinion is your opinion. I may disagree, but that's a totally different thing.

If you don't like the new stuff because the EU was discontinued, move on with your life. Whatever that means for you. It is a very narrow-minded, regressive, uncritical, and odd position to take.

Comparison is one thing. Blanket generalizations are something different.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

ObiWanKnowsMe and JediBatman like this.
  14. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Absolutely. There are some fantastic new characters and stories (Aphra has become one of my favorites ever). It's hard for me to directly compare the two since I fell off the EU during NJO, but I'm really happy with things so far. I don't think we've quite had a book that hit the highs of something like the X-Wing series for me, but overall I'm really enjoying the new books and comics.
    If I had to pick one era I miss it's all the Republic/Clone Wars/Dark Times stuff.

spicer and Jedha John like this.
  15. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007

it doesn't help when the new stories aren't very good.

Sanguinius and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Gargh, I have to stop clicking on these threads.

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    This thread could be so much fun. I say in a month there'll be a new one.

18. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    A lot of the debate here has focused on what is present in the New Canon and what isn't.
    I mean, it's a matter of fact that Legends is simply larger and more complex purely on account of that fact that it had been running a hell of a lot longer. So if you like Legends on those grounds, that's not really due to innate quality, that's just to the natural consequence of time.

I've said already that if the stories are good for you, in of themselves, rather than by comparison - that's probably the best indicator of how much you like them.
    Sometimes it can be frustrating to encounter a good idea which is replacing on of the long-held pieces of Legends canon - you have feelings of nostalgia in spite of the fact that the new idea is better, or equal in quality.

Darth Caliban and JediBatman like this.
  19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah I think the main difference between the two is that canon is (and will be in the future) quite a bit more grounded than legends was. Canon will always have to stay as grounded and realistic as the movies will be so they will never go off in too many crazy directions. There were no more movies being made in the legends universe however so they could pretty go in whatever direction they wanted to for the most part. Arguments could probably be made that that set up was both good and bad for legends. It probably gave them the heights that it had but it also likely is one of the main things that lead to its downfall and disillusionment the last five to ten years of its existence.

Darth Caliban and kalzeth like this.
  20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The NuCanon is violent, and often needlessly violent. Axeing the post-RotJ era was obviously understandable, but there was so much they could've kept. Often times they change things just for the heck of it. As I've said, the post RotJ purge was understandable, but some of the other acts feels like they're just trying to make us mad. Killing Shaak Ti. Killing Hobbie! Making Jango dar'manda. Erasing stories that had no conflicts. Worst of all they kept TCW, which was an enourmous middle finger to the EU in it's time. One of my biggest issues is how they handled the content that was removed. They called it "Legends"; our favorite stories were reduced to myth status within Disney's universe. They could've explicitly made it it's own universe, like Infinities. There was no reason they had to halt all future EU stories. If they're still printing "Legends" then a new book on the shelves won't confuse anyone. So, screw the NuCanon and screw Disney, for this and many other reasons. The NuCanon is nothing more than a bad replacement, and I'll keep my participation in it at a minimum.

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Wow. That post didn't sound bitter at all. Anyways in regards to TCW probably the main reason they kept it is because Lucas directly worked on it. Infact Lucas may have put it it in the contract that they had to keep TCW, I really do think though that if Lucas didn't have much to do with TCW it likely would have been turned into legends as well.

22. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'll spot you the Aftermath trilogy because yes, that series was jarringly and unnecessarily violent in a way that sometimes didn't feel much like the PG-13 universe of the films (poor Jom Barell). But where else do you feel canon is being excessively violent? I've been immersed in the new canon since its inception and other than the Aftermath trilogy I can't recall an instance in which I felt the boundaries set by the films weren't being respected.

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Maybe he had Rogue One in mind since that story was quite a bit more violent and casualty heavy than we are normally used to seeing in Star Wars. It also was being aimed at a more adult audience as well though.

24. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    I didn't feel Rogue One was particularly out of step with the other films in the violence side of things, I mean just taking ANH, it begins with a bunch of Rebels being gunned down and the Captain murdered. Luke's Uncle & Aunt are then murdered on Tatooine + the Jawas. Luke being threatened in Mos Eisley and the guy losing his arm to Obi-Wan. Han kills Greedo. You then have Alderaan destroyed just for Tarkin/The Empire to make a point. It may not show a lot of the gore that other film series would but it isn't as if the violence is a new thing.

25. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I understand where the accusations of violence in new canon are coming from, I share them myself in regards to killing
    Hobbie, Ventress, and Moff Panaka.
    We know in regards to 2 of these characters there was storytelling potential post-ROTJ since they had Legends post-ROTJ tales, especially the first one. Legends fans have already lost future stories from their favorite Legends characters, but now fans are going to lose future stories from favorite canon characters too? Even though they have no death on screen and their existence was not impeding film/tv development in any way?

Malachi108 likes this.