main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions EU characters you really dislike

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Oh man....see, I thought both characters were great. Danni could have been really interesting as someone younger who knew what it was like to have a life before being a Jedi...pity they forgot about her abilities and just stuck her in the corner. I still think her and Jacen could have been a great pair for the Jedi; learned and contemplative.

I really thought Vectivus was where the overall Caedus story was going to go...proof that the Star Wars universe could be nuanced and 'gray'.

Ewok Poet and kalzeth like this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    My main issue with Vectivus is that none of the later writers ever expressed any skepticism towards the story Lumiya was selling Jacen. She painted a picture that didn't jive well quite honestly about either how Sith are thematically or how the Sith behaved and practiced during the banite era. For example Vectivus sought out a master-during the banite era usually the master sought out potential apprentices. Also his whole happy death doesn't jive either-Sith are supposed to cut off themselves off from their previous lives hence why they are often expected to murder close friends or family. And if he was a Banite he surely had an apprentice of his own or at least he would have been expected to. That's one thing tag always interested me about the Sith is that they have their rituals as part of their religion as it were-killing or betraying those close to you, the games of deception and counter deception that occur in the last days of an apprenticeship, the oaths of allegiance, obedience to one's master in your early years, etc...

Danni Quee-I didn't mind her character an attractive female human scientist with mild to moderate(as I interpreted it) force potential. Yet who fought off advances most of the time. The age difference with Jacen didn't bother me-they were about 7-8 years apart and by the end of the war I think of equal maturity. I do wish she had shown up more than one scene in DNT(IIRC) and a name drop reference in Inferno where Caedus is mentioning all the women in his life in his sleep.

AusStig and PCCViking like this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I think Lumiya was conning Jacen. I'm sure there were some elements of truth to her story about Vectivus, but it could have been her own version of "The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise," and we saw how Palpatine basically lied to Anakin: First, he told Anakin that Plagueis taught his apprentice everything he knew, yet when Anakin is knighted as Vader, Palpatine says that only one had achieved the ability to cheat death.

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah but later writers accepted everything she stated as truthful. Not once in a later source as anything she stated been proven to be a lie.

5. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    That's the unlikable part with Lumiya, more than anything - the fact they forced her commentaries on us as unavoidable truths. No capacity for subjectivity, which was ridiculously jarring.

Danni became increasingly underused as time went on. Force Heretic began with the promise of a romantic relationship between her and Jacen but it never took off in the end - which is a shame.
    However, she does come across in my mind as a weird hybrid of a Mary Sue and "Damsel in Distress" - she alternates between these stereotypes with bizarre frequency, especially in Vector Prime.

I've always disliked how Tenel Ka and Danni got reduced to romantic interests later on - that was unnecessarily simplistic.

6. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Well said. He should have been way more developed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Tbh, he reminds me of a more developed version of Foley from The Dark Knight Rises: a man with ambitions who, in the end, learns to do the right thing and dispel his cowardice. When some people are aware of imminent death, they do what they should have done for the community before. I'm not saying that makes him any more likable, however.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The reader isn't supposed to like Fey'la. And I think the reason he decides to go out a hero isn't as much he had a change of heart but realized it was the only way to at least partially cleanse his legacy.

9. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Yeah, and he also set the tone for hostile relations between the Jedi and New Republic/Galactic Alliance. The only Chief of State who was more than half-heartedly supportive of the Jedi after that time was Wynn Dorvan, and he couldn't overcome a vote by the Senate to kick out the Jedi. Before someone brings up Cal Omas as an ally of the Jedi, look at the stunt he tried pulling in the Dark Nest Trilogy.

10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    IneptAphid
    Darth Wyyrlock was an awesome bureaucrat.

Ewok Poet and IneptAphid like this.
  11. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    Characters I feel I'm supposed to like but don't...

these come to mind immediately...
    1) Jacen in early NJO...he's only a teen, yet has deeper thoughts than seasoned Jedi, and at times tries to push his view on others, as someone said on another board, in BP he changes in that he realizes his views are his views and not others
    2) Sekot (I would label the conscience a character not the planet).....bc we never find anything out about it really...it shows up, it's there, it doesn't do much, it leaves
    3) Callista bc the whole thing with being in a computer, Luke falling for her, then entering one of Luke's student's body is just icky
    4) sadly, Luke from NJO into DNT (which is as far as I've read), and this hurts bc he's the hero and was my fav. character up to this point but I don't like his views during this time period

Characters I hate bc they don't work....
    1) Luuke......I love TTT, my fav. SW books, but the fact that Force use could be cloned just opened up too many questions - like why didn't Emperor do this and have an army of himself, Vaders, Lukes, Yodas, Kenobis? just be ready to kill one if it went too crazy
    2) Vong mainly bc I don't think their grimdark ways were necessary for SW, the whole series could have been the same w/o the torture scenes, gruesomeness, and ritual scarring they gave themselves and it still would have worked

12. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    To be fair, Luke's views were influenced by Vergere (although not as much as Jacen's were), and he realizes his mistakes starting in DNT. At least that's the impression I got.

13. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017

yea you're right about why the influence is there, to be clearer I've only just begun DNT, I'm about 130 pages in....and I've heard about the turn around, I'm just not there yet

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Come to think of it I was wrong Danni is something like 4-5 years older than Jacen not 7-8. So even less of an age excuse of a relationship between them.

As for Luke and Vergere-he doesn't reject her teachings but Denning's retcon of her teachings.

15. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    I've really given this some thought now, my above post was just off the top of my head and if I had to go with the things I absolutely loathe...

1) Mission to Myrkr - everything about it!!!! and it's where my discomfort with Luke's ways in NJO turned to pure hate of him
    2) Vergere - bc she shows up for 5 mins after hanging with the enemy for 50 years and the entire NJO including Luke changes their beliefs to hers and cast aside Yoda and Obi-Wan teachings like they're crap
    3) Callista - just bc as stated above that storyline was infuriating to my brain and all normal human credibility...Luke, she is a computer, Luke that's the body of your former student!!!!
    4) Mara - whenever she's not written by Zahn bc all she becomes attached to Luke's hip and they act like teenagers with all the mushy scenes and concerning her Jedi status other authors almost always make her seem totally amoral and just agreeing to be a part of Luke's Jedi bc they're married but she always seems to still want to do it the old way and Luke just says no and move on like that's not a problem, Zahn seemed to show her able to be to walk the line with depth better to me

16. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    Danni made the explicit statement that Jacen was too young for her, I believe during the invasion of Dantooine in Dark Tide: Onslaught.

Now, what they could have done is show Jacen having grown into an adult by the time of Force Heretic, and let that be the precursor for their relationship - but it fizzled out into nothing. For no reason. That said, Jacen becomes rather stoic as you approach the end of the NJO so you could argue that a relationship would have been inconsistent with his character development.

OutsiderJediSam - you highlight the common flaw of secondary characters in the EU whereby they suffer from a complete lack of credible development. This is because post-ROTJ stories (in Legends) are built off of the OT which was not an ensemble cast. If you look at the PT, the stories are more diversified (not necessarily better of course)

17. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    I don’t like any of the Knights of the Fallen Empire characters, or even the aesthetic of the setting.

Not of a fan of Adren Lynn

Rosh Penin is irritating.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I didn't mind Arden Lynn and thought her whole 24,000 year stasis was fascinating. It's a shame she died so soon. She could have been a window into a bygone era.

19. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    I didn’t mind that aspect. It was more her persona I guess.

20. Your Pal Friendpatine

Your Pal Friendpatine Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2017
    Dash Rendar, Bria Tharen and Dev Sibwarra are the big three that come to mind.

Sarge likes this.
  21. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    1. quinlan voss
    2. the vong
    3. Borsk Fey'lya
    4. ziro the hutt
    5. jaxxon

Sarge likes this.
  22. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I actually liked Borsk Fey'lya.

I always felt that the author wanted me to hate him, which generated this strange sympathy within me.

Some authors were kinder than others to him.

Also, really don't like Norra Wexley, althought she isn't really EU.

Grievousdude likes this.
  23. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    My absolute least favorite character is Kal Skirata.

Kal is the epitome of "woe is me!" self-pitying martyrdom. He manipulates everyone around him and turns many conversations back onto himself, everything he's suffered, how he's trying SO hard, etc for sympathy. For example: he paints himself as a poor guy whose selfish wife took his beloved kids from him and left him with nothing. Others say he's a fool for not marrying within his community and given him love and sympathy for his "tragic past". But his recounting of the story is chilling: he left his non-Mando wife isolated in a community/culture she knew nothing about, with three small children, while he went off to war for long stretches of time. He then would come home, crying on her shoulder, promising to never leave her again. But he'd keep doing it. And the final straw was him trying to take his 8-year-old son off to war with him. She then leaves with the kids at the threat of her child being forced into battle. And somehow, the narrative--aka every character and action thereafter--makes her the bad guy in this incident. The story rewards him with the death of the wife, a call from two of the sons expressing regret for how he's been "wronged", and then his daughter returning to fall into place as a good little Mando. And Kal has the nerve to be up-in-arms about the clones being in an army as "children". In these books, 8 is old enough to go to war, 13 is adulthood in Mando society. So it's okay for a child to go to battle if Papa is holding his hand while he shoots?

That's just ONE example of many of Kal's hypocrisy and how he's just lauded as being the best man ever by the narrative. Not to mention how he threatens and coerced Etain--a scared and pregnant woman--who comes to him for advice.

So he is awful

24. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    1.Kaye Galfridian

2. Chantique (basically because she just ruined the KOTOR comic)

3. Whorm Loathsome (do i need to say more?)

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'd say I don't like Phasma, but that requires her to have a character to begin with.

Snoke is pretty stupid, too. Kylo Ren makes me long for the days of Darth Caedus. And if you remember my posting habits from before... yeah. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.