main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #9-13: The Enormous Profit & Annual #1 (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 13, 2017.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    should be incoming anytime now.

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Damn no preview. Must be awesome if they didn't want to give anything away.

3. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Just read Issue 13...VERY FUN READ...

As we expected, Rur attempts to use his technopathy to control Vader's suit. Love the reference to Vader's experience with Cylo taking control of his suit in the DV series. "Safeguards were improved." Love it. Really expected Vader to destroy the crystal, but presenting it as a gift to the Emperor was cool. Also, enjoyed Vader sensing an "infuriating" presence that he hasn't felt in some time. The split pages of Aphra "returning" the artifacts to the Shadow University and the Museum of Bar'leth were fantastic. She earns some archaeology street cred and still manages to turn a profit. Also, BT and Trip's new endeavor of running a crime syndicate is fascinating. Best frame of the comic? Aprha in the wide-brimmed lavender hat with the golden shades and smoking gun. Beautiful frame. The frame of the close-up to the Emperor's face was a head-scratcher to me...over the top depiction that didn't work IMHO. This feels like the end of an arc to me. An excellent arc that was a fun ride. Can't wait to see what is next for Aphra especially in light of Vader knowing she is out there.

4. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Interesting issue. Almost felt like it could be the last issue in the series.

To nitpick a little, a cocktail named after Dantooine? Isn't Dantooine supposed to be a remote unknown planet? I know it was supposed to be a joke, but it sort of broke my sense of disbelief.

Also, nice reference to the old Marvel run with Zeltros.

kalzeth and Jedha John like this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Indeed very very fun.

And I loved this issue's take on Aphra. She's a rotten girl with some small hints of good, that's what I prefer. She's all twisted in her own fashion. When the chips are down, she'll use others as human shields no regrets.
    And boy, those droids are really something, something scary indeed!
    But the star of the issue has got to be Vader, man, that was badass dude. At first I didn't even realize that Rur tried to deactivate the suit, but Vader still destroyed him like it was nothing ... Aphra is in some trouble. But on the other hand, he could have caught her and let her slip away. A hint of mercy? Amusement?

6. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017

It did feel that way. Makes you wonder if this was written before knowing that we'd thankfully get another year of Aphra.

7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    This could have been the original intended end of the run because when you think about it EVERYONE gets a happy ending

Aphra gets a bunch of credits, is free of all her crippling debt/ murderous companions and now has time to relax in the shade
    BT and 000 are free to murder to their hearts content as the new leaders of the Pride
    Vader gets a pat on the head from the emperor for delivering the Rur crystal/ wiping out a large portion of the galaxies criminal contingent
    Black Krssantan gets to repay/ get revenge on his former captors

BigAl6ft6, Senpezeco and vncredleader like this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heh, I think there were two fun MCU/main Marvel comics references.
    One was what was most definitely the Infinity Gauntlet in Palpatine's collection of artifacts (plus Rur just getting filed away like that is pretty hilarious after all we've seen from him). Another was Vader smashing Rur back and forth against the walls just like Groot in GOTG 1 or Hulk in Avengers 1.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Really hoping that collection gets expounded upon at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    And what exactly happened to it after Palpatine's death?

Barriss_Coffee and kalzeth like this.
  11. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    I don't think that's something they really thought about when writing the issue :)

Palpatine's collection was more of a joke, with Thanos's gauntlet in there, and its also a nice insult to the Immortal Rur, ending up in some collection, never to be seen again.

Btw I wonder how many people noticed that Rur's name is probably a reference to R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots), a play by Karel Čapek from 1920.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's not necessarily just a joke, though. We know that, by the time of the Clone Wars, Sidious already had a collection like that housed in the Grand Republic Medical Facility, and that it was moved to the Jedi Temple after it became the Imperial Palace.

13. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

True, perhaps in some future story set after ROTJ Palpatine's collection will be mentioned again, however I don't think Gillen was thinking too much about that when writing this issue.

Actually, I just got an idea about a story involving Luke visiting the Imperial Palace/Jedi Temple on Coruscant and going through Palpatine's collection and the Jedi Archives. Unless Palpatine deleted all the Archives and destroyed all the Holocrons before the events of ROTJ, there's probably more information on the Jedi Order and the Force in the Imperial Palace, than Luke can read in several lifetimes.

Hope they'll one day explain what happened to the Imperial Palace and all the information stored in it after ROTJ. And what happened to Coruscant in general. I would love to see the planet in the ST (as long as they don't blow it up [face_laugh]).

kalzeth likes this.
  14. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Palpatine having an infinity gauntlet is no different than the Twi-leks having the ark of the convenanant or some trandoshan hunters having a crystal skull ;)

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Man for those that have the issues, are their scenes with some aqua lightsabers? I don't get this issue till next week.

16. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Yes, indeed. A lot of frames with red saber clashing against aqua sabers. The scenes between Vader and Rur do not disappoint. You are going to love this issue.

vong333 likes this.
  17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Good issue. Not quite as many Aphra quips to laugh at as normal but still very good storytelling. Yeah I'm sure this issue was written to where it could have been a end for the series if it needed to be. I imagine the only thing that may have been added/changed were those last couple pages where those people find her.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Maybe it's true that Gillen didn't think about it too much, but it is still an interesting question to ponder - and ripe with story possibilities. Consider for example the acolytes of the beyond. It is possible that some of them acquired the artifacts from the collection and were corrupted by them like the cat-people in the Lando comic book. And who is possessing the artifacts during the ST-era? Is it Snoke? Wherever they are, unless they're safely locked away they will lead to a lot of destruction.

19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I sure hope that the whereabouts of Palpatine's vaults will be addressed at one point. I can't imagine, knowing the Imperial Palace was once the Jedi Temple, that the New Republic and Luke didn't explore the building with a fine-toothed comb as soon as the Empire fell for good.

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm pretty sure the day after Order 66, Palpatine had a big Jedi book burning.

There's probably a whole department of COMPNOR devoted to removing all Jedi references from history.

BigAl6ft6 and Voltron64 like this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmm... that's actually a good question. I always supposed he kept that room mostly intact, only because I had 10 thousand memories of having to go back there as the Secret Apprentice in Force Unleashed. Like seriously it was getting to be every other level at one point. "Apprentice there's another 'ghost' in the library! You gotta go in and exorcise! And also exercise. Those lightsaber skillz."

But now in the new EU, there could be more to it. For sure he kept and sequestered the useful files/"books". Probably deleted/burned the useless ones. Although that could be a story in itself -- how much did he already know was there? Presumably there was something he didn't, because of that Jocasta comic. He wouldn't be interested in her otherwise.

vncredleader likes this.
  22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, it's not just what was already in the Temple when he moved there, but also what he brought with him and what all the later additions.

23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Honestly I would not be surprised if he moved all of the files to a safe place. After all you never know if some random Jedi text on a routine scouting mission could come in handy later. Palpatine might even let everyone think he burned them for show so only he had access., He may hate the Jedi, but I don't buy him making that big of an oversight to scrap anything that could be useful.

I bet at least one of the observatories had copies of all the Jedi files.

24. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if Palpatine had everything destroyed as part of the "Contingency" plan, so there would be nothing left for those who come after him.

And we know the Empire kept control of Coruscant until the events of Jakku, and even after that, there was the provisional government in charge, so Imperial agents had plenty of time to destroy or steal everything of any value in the Imperial Palace after Palpatine's death.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Wouldn't it have been easier to simply burn the Palace to the ground, though? We know it didn't happen.