main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

1st ship concepts - I submitted these to George in 1974

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Colin Cantwell, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Colin Cantwell

Colin Cantwell LFL Concept Artist and Ship Designer VIP

Feb 6, 2017
    These are the first Star Wars ship designs ever made (to my knowledge). I drew them to cheer up George, who still didn't have a studio and was starting to feel like the project may not get off the ground. It took me 4 days to draw the first one (X-Wing). After that, the Star Destroyer, opening scene, and Sith fighter all flowed out of my imagination rather quickly.

I honestly believe that each ship has its own personality and that these personalities helped to create the others. I would go on to model them all - including the Death Star - and made sure that everything down to the movements of the ships during filming was in-tune with their personalities.

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    If you dont know who Mr. Cantwell is and his importance to the Star Wars Universe, please take a look HERE.

3. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Where are the pics at?

5. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Check the links in his signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

I'll continue to insist, that Mr. Cantwell also contributed the essential Super Star Destroyer design. Although the above concept art appears to suggest that we are looking at the bow (to the left side), it features the essential shape of the Executor and others. ;)

And also note the artillery emplacements on the top and bottom fin (before the parabolic dishes).

[​IMG]

Looks to me as if the ship designers of the Profundity in Rogue One equally relied on Mr. Cantwell for "inspiration".

7. Colin Cantwell

Feb 6, 2017
    Having a hard time getting the pictures back up, but here is the X-Wing concept. Hope you all will friend me on Facebook and come out to shake hands at conventions!
    Autographed copies of the 1st Star Wars concept art is available from my website www.cantwellcollection.com

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Certainly inspired work. We're indebted to your contributions, sir.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Wow. I want to see ships like that some time in the ST or Anthology movies! Very cool design inspired by the space opera shows George Lucas has expressed enjoying as a kid

Bazinga'd likes this.
  10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Colin Cantwell I actually like your original design of the X-Wing fighter better than what was finalized. Was there any reason why George (or anyone else) modified it? Or is that standard practice in the industry that the original design tends to always be modified for some reason.

11. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016

Mr Cantwell i have been a Star Wars Fan since the late 90's and can i just say i think your work on those ship designs was brilliant. I know the credit must go to all the people at the studio that made all those ships possible but those designs of yours still leave a lasting impression on me.I thank you for your work and may the force be with you.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  12. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Those fighters at the bottom right have to be the inspiration for the Naboo N1, again just the front and weapon fire now being the N1's tail. They are almost identical outlines.
    [​IMG]

Tyber Zann's Consortium ships from Empire at War: Forces of Coruption are also inspired by Colin's designs I believe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Colin Cantwell, is this one of yours? I always liked it as an earlier era Star Destroyer. The tall superstructure at the stern gives it the aura of a galleon with an ornate poop deck at the stern. Kind of a retro SW ship, IMO.

[​IMG]

14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ One of the things in the above prototype design for the Imperial Star Destroyer is that the lateral big guns do make practical sense, because they cover a range of 180°+.
    This was (unfortunately) limited in the VFX model built for the film (and I shall say nothing about the ridiculous gun gerformance / range visualized in Rogue One).

But I do have one question for Mr. Cantwell: The black markings on the main hull - did you consider these to be solar panels or (abstract) ship markings? [face_dunno]

Colin Cantwell likes this.
  15. Colin Cantwell

Feb 6, 2017

Although it seems a bit archaic now, they were originally intended to be unique identifiers visible over long distances. They would serve as a redundant method of identifying and tracking ships within the fleet during live tactical situations.

16. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Colin Cantwell wrote

Although it seems a bit archaic now, they were originally intended to be unique identifiers visible over long distances.

Wow! That's rather fascinating (IMHO) considering that it wasn't before June 26, 1974 that a pack of chewing gum with the Universal Product Code ("Barcode") was scanned for the first time in Ohio, and that was just the prototype test. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Product_Code

It appears you were ahead of your time, as these Star Destroyer identifiers do resemble a UPC, and there wasn't a widespread commercial implementation until the early 1980's (I vividly remember that my ROJ novelization from 1983 was one of the first items were I noticed the UPC on the back cover).

17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

I think it's more than obvious, that the "new" Imperial arrestor cruiser, supposed to show up in the upcoming Solo anthology film is just slightly altered from Mr. Cantwell's original design:

[​IMG]

I can only hope that the cast and crew credits will at least show Mr. Cantwell's name.

@Colin Cantwell

Lulu Mars, Snafu55 and Kalio_Dynkos like this.
  18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I'm sure they will give him credit. The Arrestor cruiser is almost an exact recreation of @Colin Cantwell 's design in this picture. Only the forward hull and rear bridge section are wider now, and the two hangers smaller, relative to the size of the ship.
    [​IMG]

whostheBossk, Lulu Mars and Lt. Hija like this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
  20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear that!
    Rest in peace, dear Colin @};-

BlackRanger likes this.
  21. Saturn830

Saturn830 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2019
    Damn, I had no idea that Mr. Cantwell had actually posted here. His impact on the franchise was massive and I was sorry to hear about his passing.

22. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

In tribute to his work, this is well worth a view.

23. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I miss the dreamers in Mr. Cantwell's generation.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Same here.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Wow , it is in good condition . Must admit I'm curious how much they paid for it.

there's a new doc on ILM coming up on Disney+ I believe.

Did George keep his archive of models or did Disney get those too?