main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Mantis128

Mantis128 Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2016
    So my nephew's 11th birthday is coming up and I was thinking of getting him a book. His reading ability is very high so he just blasts through books targeted towards his age group. I was thinking of getting him one of the new canon books like Tarkin or Aftermath; something big that will take more than 1-2 days for him to read. I was just wondering if the new canon has any really dark themes. He should be able to read basic mature themes but I don't want to get him a book that has rape or detailed torture scenes. I highly doubt a SW novel will have that, but just to be safe.

2. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017

Tarkin is a good book since it helps to explain his backstory and why he is the way he is in ANH, I don't recall any really bad torture scenes in it either.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

It tends to keep the horrible events offscreen. Like when Tarkin sends a pirate ship into the sun - we're told that their screams and pleading were broadcast to the entire system - but we're not shown burning pirates.

4. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I remember A New Dawn had a character I liked get pushed into a pit of acid, where they basically dissolved to death. That is the only book of the new canon that sticks out to me as having anything disturbing that made me cringe. For a younger reader I'd suggest Catalyst and Tarkin, I found them both interesting and they go together well. From what I remember Dark Disciple and LostStars were both romace-heavy with light sex scenes/references, probably not what an 11 year old boy is looking for. Lords of the Sith might be another good one. The two Battlefront books were both grittier war stories, if he enjoyed Rogue One I would highly suggest those two.

5. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    That
    Even that death scene wasn't graphic at all, the feeling you get there is sadness from their loved one's grief, not disgust or revulsion. A New dawn is fine for an 11 yo.

6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Does anyone know what this page is from?:

[​IMG]

spicer likes this.
  7. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Off the top of my head I'd say it looks like the ROTS adaption, but I could be wrong, I dont remember Anakin using a red ship in ROTS.

8. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    He takes a red ship from the Temple to Palpatine's office after Mace goes there.

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Are there any officially published RPG campaigns or adventure ideas for a pre-Clone Wars Jedi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It can't be ROTS, because Anakin still has his AOTC hair style, with his Padawan braid. I'd say it would be shortly after AOTC.

11. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
  12. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

I found your answer here
    http://kazaikos.tumblr.com/post/54940403586/this-single-page-is-known-as-the-sample-page-and
    It was a confusing one knowing from wookiepedia that Wheatley hadn't done anything with Padme in before the RotS comic, although it's clearly an EpII Anakin.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So I asked this a long time ago, but the preview for Poe Dameron 20 made it relevant again: what the heck eventually happened to Lott Dod in Legends? He seems to have just disappeared. I always assumed he was one of the guys Vader slaughtered on Mustafar, but that apparently isn't actually said anywhere.

14. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Besides the Thrawn trilogy (which I have read) and the X-wing series of novels (which I have not read) is there any post-ROTJ Legends from the Bantam era that would be considered "essential" for going into the New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series?

15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    He probably wouldn't have been on Mustafar. So far, all of his appearances in the movies and TCW show him as separate from the Separatist leadership, either in the senate, or on diplomatic missions. He's not seen in ROTS at all as well.

16. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Cheers for finding me an answer mate. Very interesting.

17. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Anyone read "From A Certain Point of View", yet? Didn't see anything about on here. A casual acquaintance who I didn't even know was a fan, read it, and told me they loved it. Wonder how the superfans feel about it. Thanks.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There's actually a thread on it here.

19. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Thanks, not sure how I missed it.

20. browser

browser Jedi Master

Jul 6, 2002
    I cannot for the life of me find the Phasma novel thread in the forum. Can someone post the link? Thanks.

21. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
  22. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    What's the deal with duros in the title?

23. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh well you see a while back we revealed to the whole fandom the truth; that thrawn was really a sub species of duros and apparently someone thought Cad Bane was NOT a duro or something. Regardless we are now in a constant state of calling things Duros and coming up with conspiracy theories partly just to annoy people.

Anyone got the link to the original thread the joke comes from?

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    vncredleader and BookExogorth like this.
  25. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    God every time I go back to that thread I cannot help but laugh hysterically