main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books From a Certain Point of View, [A New Hope] 40th anniversary anthology novel (#OperationBlueMilk)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017

So now I'm a "not-fan?" Hahaha. What? Someone who owns every Star Wars novel (including The Crystal Star!), DVD/Blu-Ray, and has seen every film a million times over is a " fake fan" because he happens to think that Ackmena's orientation was a shallow box-checking exercise?

This is the exact kind of toxicity/nastiness I'm talking about that oozes out of this place at times. Where are the Mods telling this guy to stop trolling, abide by the previous requests to move to another thread, and have some modicum of respect for other human beings?

My Lord--we've probably been at the same events before. Sheesh.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Let us handle it instead of adding your say, please.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    We're not omniscient, it's easier to respond when one reports the post as you did.

However, we certainly do not appreciate grandstanding as you also did, especially when it should have been clear that we had not yet seen the post instead of us ignoring it as you implied. So knock it off.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Is it too much to hope for a Legends 40th anniversary anthology? We could get Legends stories made canon, Revan, more Thrawn, somehow Leia has a dream of having twins instead of Ben and wake up confused...

I would love to see Set Harth show up in canon again, he was the best. I think an anthology book like this would be good for that.

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Interesting idea, but Lucasfilms/Disney probably want to give the big stuff like Revan and Thrawn their own stuff, white the smaller references get slotted into other stories.

revan772 likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if anyone else or anything else who was named in the costumizable card game could get a new name in the future.

7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I finished a few days ago. I was engaged and enjoyed the stories a good deal. I liked how some were a departure from the Star Wars norm and more experimental, in ways. And I liked how the stories took you through ANH...but from different points of view.

I'm glad the book is being received well. It deserves to be, and I would love to see more like this.

But I also think it is not as great as seems to be portrayed. Sometimes, the same scenes or general time periods from ANH were re-portrayed too many times, IMO. Or the stories were a bit drawn out...like the alien spy story (forgot the name).

I think short stories work well in the SWU. I'm a fan of short stories in general, and I hope to see more. I'm saddened they aren't happening in SW Insider anymore.

Like I said, a really solid short story collection. Very great. But, IMO, not great.

8/10

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

8. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    I did have a bit of this problem with the Death Star battle stories, where one author would feel the need to take up page space listing every pewpew and barrel roll from the movie and then the next one would do it again. That was the only area of the book where I started to skim.

9. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    It wasn't bad, and I'd like to see another one done for ESB (and ROTJ). However not really at the expense of a different original novel, if that were the trade-off.

10. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    There was no trade off.

11. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Must admit that this book has been telling many tales from Mos Eisley and Luke and the droids must have entered the cantina at least 5 different times by now lol.
    Plus the various versions of Docking bay 94. Boba Fett's story cracked me up. So cocky and flippant.

This is a very creative book and the concept is outstanding.

Although it's been fun, I'm looking forward to leaving Tatooine at this point. :)

12. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    ok?

13. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Smh. The correct response is thanks for the info.

You just got a direct response that there was no trade off on this book (instead of a full length novel), which was your stated fear about future books. If there wasn't a trade off here, you can probably be assured that there won't be in the future, especially as all the proceeds are going to charity from this book and Del Rey probably wants to pay their bills with regular books.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

14. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016

That's not a safe assumption at all tbh, and regardless I wasn't fearing that there would be a trade-off, just stating my preferences in the form of speculation.

I didn't know this whole book was for charity though, that's interesting

15. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
  16. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yeah, it actually is. If this book, the first of any line of anniversary story collections, wasn't a trade-off, why would any other books of the same type be a trade-off.

17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Apologies for the double post, but I think this is a question that deserves to be answered:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/confused-about-official-canon.50020025/#post-51500124

As of this book, they are.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, that was a blast from the past. Almost immediately post-reboot, everyone (including me) concerned about canon and with no idea what the Story Group was supposed to do.

(though I do still think we have canon levels without having canon levels but in any event it doesn't matter)

19. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yeah, i've been spending my night looking through threads created right after the Disney buyout and the announcement of the new canon. It's a roller-coaster ride.

20. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

The Biggs story felt like too much of a straight retelling of the battle for my tastes, but maybe that's because I was waiting for him to mention his father by name or throw a reference to his obnoxious little cousin Gavin.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  21. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

I never found Gavin to be obnoxious. I found all pictures of him to not match my personal description though.

22. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    No it really isn't. There's no reason you can safely assume any further stories would follow the same sort of publishing plans. You may think it's more likely given the past situation though.

Stupid thing to be arguing about anyway

23. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    And there's no reason to assume otherwise either. It's moot either way.

24. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Exactly, so why on earth are we arguing about it

25. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Fun fact. We don't ever consider "oh if we do book x it means we can't do book y". That's not really a thing.

If we decide to do more FACPOV books they won't come at the expense of another idea. It's not an A or B situation.

The end.