main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why do people think Disney is going to stop making books/comics?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Outsourced, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Well, I did claim that. More than once. I guess I'm clearly wrong. Lol.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

2. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    If you can't tell the difference between the YA novels and the Adult novels, then that's understandable and fine, of course. But most people should be able to as there is a significant difference in the language used, depth of concepts etc. I'm no writer but if you really want to know in more detail I'm sure there is plenty of information easily found on the internet.

I'm sure that interview where Claudia Gray was explaining the differences between YA and Adult writing, using her SW books as examples, wouldn't be too hard to find and would be exactly what you're looking for.

revan772 likes this.
  3. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007

I had wondered about that. I don't know if you are able to answer this, but was Tarkin already on the table? Because the rapid release of the first four suggests that the authors at least already had contracts for something even if the specific books were not in process.

Also, can we ever find out what the big plans were for the Kemp duology that was teased?

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to know that too.

5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Forgive me but I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make with all this. Even if this distinction you're making between the "adult" novels and the "YA" novels -- language, concepts, and so forth -- exists, what difference does it make? Adults read the YA books, kids read the adult books, and in the only ways that really matter in the end -- the quality of the story and the writing -- the YA novels more than hold their own.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    What point are you trying to make? None of what you just said has anything to do with anything I've said.

My only point was that there is a difference between the writing in YA novels and adult novels. That's it. I never said or implied anything related to differential quality, or value, or appeal. Which was pretty clear clear if you read exactly what I said.

7. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Lol, you'd be surprised how fast we can put together an author contract (particularly with authors we've worked with before). Also just sort of the way publishing works, we're always working on stuff based on info that isn't public, so things were in the works for awhile.

As for the duology, nope, can't tell you anything more than what you know.

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't see how people could think Tarkin was written before the new canon. There's so many things it introduces that are incompatible with Legends (Palpatine has a first name, Mas Amedda is Grand Vizier, the Imperial Palace is the Jedi Temple, Armand Isard is head of COMPNOR, Tarkin doesn't have a brother or a wife).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I did read exactly what you said. My point is, if the style of writing in a "YA" novel is not connected in any way to the "quality, value, or appeal" of the overall novel, why is the distinction relevant?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I'd imagine the appeal is connected for a certain percentage of the audience (of which I'm not a part).

Actually, and maybe this is a little off-topic, but I'm wondering why we haven't seen any short stories from Insider lately. A couple of years ago they were intent on putting original fiction in every issue, but I feel like it's been a year since we've seen anything. Any thoughts on whether that's a temporary thing or something that will continue going forward?

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It was confirmed by DarthInternous that no more short stories will be published in Insider.

12. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    huh. I wonder why. That was always my favorite part of the magazine.

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Definitely peeved about it. The only reason I subscribe, and I have more than half a year remaining on my subscription.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

my kind of scum likes this.
  14. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Did you see what I was responding to? I even directly quoted the post. It was a post denying that a distinction even existed. Why you think such a point wouldn't be "relevant" to the discussion is beyond me. It couldn't be more relevant with what was being discussed.

Literally all I did was correct a disturbingly ignorant comment. It really is not that complicated.

15. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Mountains out of molehills...

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

16. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Yeah, If it's going to be rudeness and condescension rather than polite conversation, I'll just step aside now. The point I wanted to make isn't worth arguing over.

Stymi and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    exactly. One simple point shouldn't require a page-long discussion.

You never should have stepped in in the first place.

I apologise if I offended you but I'm sure you can understand my annoyance that such a simple concept could be so comprehensively misunderstood and questioned. It's absurd really. There was nothing even remotely complicated or ambiguous about anything I said.

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Yeah...I think we're all seeing the absurdity here.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

The_Forgotten_Jedi likes this.
  19. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I started this. Its my fault. I however, feel better now. We have 2 adult novels for 2018. TLJ novelization and Thrawn: Alliances, and according to jedibibliothek, Join the Resistance 3, an Untitled Middle Grade Chewbacca Novel (written all in Shryiwook:), an Untitled Han Solo YA novel, and an Untitled Padme YA novel (which I am strangely interested in)

20. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    It's reasonably safe to predict hardcover adult and junior novelizations for the Young Han Solo movie as well, though if the film gets moved to December (which seems likely) those could possibly get bumped to 2019.

Yunzabit likes this.
  21. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

Good call. Yeah, they might push back the Han Solo movie but I actually don't like that Star Wars now comes out in winter. I loved it when it was in the summer. At least how I remember the prequels. Star Wars should be in May, to kick off the summer (okay maybe June), but still

22. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Wishful thinking?

23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I actually don't mind the winter releases at all. It coincides with the time when I get back from France to Belgium for the holidays, and thus going to see the new Star Wars with friends is becoming something of a Yuletide tradition.

24. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017
    Hmmmm.... strangely enough, SW movies have so far been released during summer in the SOUTHERN hemisphere. ;)

25. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Oh god, a book written in Shryiwook, that would be a pain to read. Also, Padme novel? More Prequel content? :D