main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi New to JCF. Hello! (Colin Cantwell - I Modeled the Film Death Star!)

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Colin Cantwell, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin Cantwell

Colin Cantwell LFL Concept Artist and Ship Designer VIP

Feb 6, 2017
    Hello everyone. Back in 1974 I was brought into a small project with a big dream. I would go on to concept and build the models for the original ships. I created the: X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, Star Destroyer, Sky Hopper, Blockade Runner, and Imperial Shuttle. I also built the models for the Death Star and Millennium Falcon with input from Lucas.

I haven't been very involved in the community or project since the release of the first film, but have recently reached out online and at conventions. It has been such a wonderful experience to meet all of you and to share a love for Science Fiction and Star Wars.

I'll try my best to check this forum several times a week. Please ask me anything using this thread.

Some basic questions can be answered via my Reddit AMA's -https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5kkzu7/i_am_colin_cantwell_death_star_creator_star_wars/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...ar_creator_star_wars/?st=j8treq4w&sh=8969de49

I would love to get to know you on Social Media -
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ColinCantwellCB
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/colin_cantwell/

I also offer autographed prints of my original concept designs. I've maintained the copyright on them (somehow), making this the only source for these very first ships designs -
    http://www.cantwellcollection.com

[​IMG]

2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Good to meet you! I believe our mods have to check to make sure you are him. If you are, though, you'll join the Wookiee (PeterMayhew) as famous people on here.

Enjoy!

Sent using Tapatalk this was!

KyloViral and Colin Cantwell like this.
  3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Its Confirmed. Mr. Cantwell also has a thread going in the CT.

4. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Hello! It’s awesome that you’re joining in the discussions here. :) Please let us know if you need assistance finding anything.

5. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Welcome! Thank you for joining us here on the forums!

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's an honour having someone on this board who's contributed so many iconic Star Wars ships! We hope your time on here is pleasant - this certainly is one of the best Star Wars fan communities online

7. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Colin, your image looks very familiar. Maybe I have seen you in documentaries before. Are you in some of the early documentaries?

The force is strong with your designs.

<<<X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, Star Destroyer, Sky Hopper, Blockade Runner, and Imperial Shuttle. I also built the models for the Death Star and Millennium Falcon with input from Lucas. >>>

Those are all of the major ships from the first film. It's an honor to communicate with someone who has had such a great contribution in the period from 74-77!

KyloViral and Colin Cantwell like this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Welcome Colin!

Great to see you here amongst us.

Tython Awakening and KyloViral like this.
  9. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    BTW, @Colin Cantwell, I still use the original explosion of the ANH DS as an example of really good, practical FX!

Tython Awakening likes this.
  10. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    Welcome to the forums Mr. Cantwell - I have been a huge fan of your work for many years and I hope you will enjoy it here :)

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Welcome, @Colin Cantwell! I hope you have fun checking out the forum.

I do have a question for you. When designing these iconic ships what were some inspirations you pulled from? Also, did George Lucas ever give you directions on what to do and what not to do? What other sorts of interactions did George and you have?

See you around.

12. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Welcome Good Sir! I bow to your brilliance as an X Wing Lover!!! You Sir @Colin Cantwell are a God in my eyes!!!

13. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Greetings to you, my dear Sir. Welcome to JCF. :D If you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)

14. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    @Colin Cantwell Congratulations on having one of your original ship designs in Solo:A Star Wars Story. I can't wait to see the Imperial Arrestor Cruiser on the big screen.

15. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Any Comments on This? Colin Cantwell is mentioned in the article with Ralph McQuarrie.

This newly discovered McQuarrie piece was apparently drawn by McQuarrie in 1976!!!

This is a great discovery!

Rare Original Star Wars Concept Art Unseen For 35 Years May Bring $100,000 At Heritage Auctions

http://www.theforce.net/story/front..._Bring_100000_At_Heritage_Auctions_182001.asp

DALLAS, Texas (Sept. 24, 2018) – A painting of rebels preparing a hanger of Y-Wing Fighters for a battle against Darth Vader’s empire – a rare piece of Star Wars movie concept art created by artist Ralph McQuarrie to help George Lucas create his space opera – may sell for $100,000 at auction Oct. 12. The auction marks the first time the original 1976 painting will be seen by the public in 35 years.

Titled Y-Wing Fighters in the Rebel Hangar, the gouache on board is one of just a handful of original paintings and drawings McQuarrie and fellow artist Colin Cantwell produced in 1976, as Lucas perfected his idea of good vs. bad set against space as a battlefield. “Ralph’s contribution to the Star Wars world is incalculable,” Lucas once stated, identifying McQuarrie’s art as instrumental in securing 20th Century Fox’s financial support for the first film. 

“McQuarrie’s early Star Wars concept paintings are extremely scarce and highly-sought after because they played a key role in bringing the film to fruition,” said Barry Sandoval, Director of Comic Operations at Heritage Auctions. “When we first examined the artwork, we could barely believe it was an original by McQuarrie. It was produced the year before the Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope was released in theatres.” ​

[​IMG]

16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.