main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Sea Shanty/Ballad Challenge - all songs taken

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 15, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey! What’s my favorite kind of relationship fic that involves villainous characters?

A PIRATE SHIP!

*Dodges rotten fruit*

Welcome Aboard to the Sea Shanty/Ballad challenge!

Sea shanties came about in the mid-19th century as a distinct style of work song sung on sailing vessels (so, yeah, I am very aware all my pirate jokes are misplaced, but evidence does suggest that pirates and privateers would have used music as entertainment, so meeeh on all the haters). Sailors would also sing ballads or sea songs during their pleasure time. Modern artists have also taken their own spin on the style of sea shanties and ballads (or songs about pirates). I was listening to some one night (because Briannakin was actually raised by pirates) and thought: what better than a bunch of songs about drinking, true love (or perhaps not), fighting, amputation, death, hell, and sailing the vast seas to get the muse swabbing the decks!

I have collected 15 traditional… and not so traditional, sea shanties/ballads/songs for people to challenge themselves with.

Keep in mind: I have ordered the songs with some logic. The lower numbers (1 to about 7) are the more traditional shanties and ballads and higher numbers (8-13) are more modern folk takes on sea songs, as well as from modern movies. Finally, numbers 14 and 15 are of a particularly… evil nature.

You may either pick a number using this information as a guide, or roll an 18-sided dice for something totally random.

Rules:

1. Keep it within the ToS, please. A few of these songs are a bit suggestive, but none are explicit (there’s nothing above PG).

2. Post what number you want (or roll a die) and I will reply with your song in this thread (and include some background information).

3. Do whatever darn well pleases ye landlubber’s heart with these songs. Retell the tale. Write a songfic. Just use a verse or the title. NSWFF is welcome as well.

4. If you find you just can’t come up with a fic, just tell me and I’ll give you a second chance to pick a song.

5. Right now, I’m stetting the limit at only 1 song per person. I’m not going to add more (sorry, I know 15 is a bit on the lower end when it comes to these), but once all the numbers are taken, if people want to throw a die and get a random song someone has already done, they can. If a couple months go by and not all the songs are taken, I’ll let people have another.

6. There is no rule 6. I just wanted to warn you guys that, honestly, some of the best recordings of the more traditional shanties are from Assassins’ Creed IV, so I went with those for some of the recordings, but there often are other covers of the songs and slight alterations of lyrics. Use whatever version you wish.

7. There is no deadline. Because dead men tell no tales.

8. Post ye bootie here once it is plundered so we can all enjoy it.

1 – Go to Sea once More - RX_Sith

2 - Don't Forget Your Old Shipmate - Alexis_Wingstar

3 - The Mermaid - Pandora

4 - Leave her, Johnny - Findswoman

5 - Drunken Sailor - Raissa Baiard

6 - Whiskey-Johnny - galactic-vagabond422

7 - (Rolling) Down to Old Maui - WarmNyota_SweetAyesha - An Unusual Playlist

8 - Barrett’s Privateers - Seldes_Katnes

9 - My Jolly Sailor Bold - Ewok Poet - A Stranger in Someone Else's Dream

10 - Hoist the Colours - earlybird-obi-wan - Hoist The Colours

11 - In All My Dreams I Drown - Briannakin

12 - Ready for the Storm - mavjade

13 - The Last Shanty - AzureAngel2 - You Want It Darker

14 - The Last Saskatchewan Pirate - leiamoody

15 - The Pirates who don't do Anything - Chyntuck

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Challenge related to music and/or songs of a historical nature? Oh, you know I'm there. :D

May I ask for no. 4, please?

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Aw, what the heck...I need more challenges in my life ;)

I be rollin’ the dice and letting Fate decide...

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You got....

4 – Leave Her, Johnny

Info: Johnny must leave his love for a job on the high seas.

Recording:

Lyrics: http://shanty.rendance.org/lyrics/showlyric.php/leaveher

5- Drunken Sailor

Info: The classic sea shanty nearly everyone knows. It asks the most important question: ‘What shall we do with a drunken sailor?’
    Recording:

Lyrics: http://www.metrolyrics.com/drunken-sailor-lyrics-irish-rovers.html

Also! Fun fact involving this song: I once preformed this song as part of a drum line (accompanied by two violins) using snare drum sticks on the floor of the Pearson International airport.

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Oooooooooh! Briannakin I need a pirate song right now, so this sounds perfect for me! Just to confirm, would it be okay to combine this with another challenge fic I have in the works? (This challenge being non-competitive, I assume it is, but I just want to check.)

6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, it's fine.

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I really don't need another challenge on my plate, but I certainly do want one!! I'm going to leave it up to chance and throw a die.

8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I'll go with #15 please. I need an evil song [face_devil]

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    (I know the feeling)

You got:
    12 – Ready For the Storm

Info: As far as I can research, this song was first written in 1981 and has been covered by a number of people.
    Recording:

Lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/r/rich_mullins/ready_for_the_storm.html

bwhahahaha. I was really hoping you'd get this one:

15 – Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything

Info: One of the most classic songs from the VeggieTales (a series of children’s animations), this song was later turned into a full length movie. The song is about lazy pirates. That is all.
    Recording:

Lyrics: https://genius.com/Veggietales-the-pirates-who-dont-do-anything-lyrics

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I too also do not need another challenge, so I almost thought about not participating, but I HAVE TO!

Edit: I got:

7 – (Rolling) Down to Old Maui
    Info: A song of the tropics from the point of view of whalers of the artic going down to old Maui.
    Recording:

Lyrics: http://shanty.rendance.org/lyrics/showlyric.php/maui

Hmmmm. Not the one I wanted, but maybe something will spring into my head.

11. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    LOOOOOOL! This is what I expected at all, but I'm definitely writing this one in the same 'verse as the other fic I have in the works! Thanks :)

12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am behind on everything, but I just can't resist. Yarrrrrr, matey! [face_skull] And #15 is PERFECT crack!fic material - I'm jealous of you, Chyntuck, and I can't wait to see what you'll do with it!

(Bri, you might want to type Enter before pasting a video!)

EDIT: Looks like the Force just can't accept that number 7 is not mine this time. Okay...9 it is. :p

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    9 – My Jolly Sailor Bold

Info: A merchant’s daughter falls in love with a jolly sailor bold. From Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
    Recording:

Lyrics: http://lyricstranslate.com/en/Disney-Soundtrack-My-Jolly-Sailor-Bold-lyrics.html

14. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    14 if possible.

15. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    I should have gotten in on this sooner. I can't promise that I will get anything written soon but, Sea Shanties I've spent too much time coming up with ways to integrate them into Star Wars (I actually have a version of Drunken Sailor called Drunken Spacer with lyrics and everything.)

I'm going to take #6

Also this is my favorite version of Old Maui

I highly recommend this band for any of your Sea Shanty needs.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oooooohh BOY!

14 – The Last Saskatchewan Pirate

Info: Chalk full of Canadian references (if you need explanations, I can help), this song is about down-and-out farmer who takes up piracy on the Saskatchewan River. Originally by The Arrogant Worms and later covered by Captain Tractor.
    Recording:

Lyrics: http://www.metrolyrics.com/the-last-saskatchewan-pirate-lyrics-arrogant-worms.html

6 – Whisky-Johnny
    Info: This shanty will kill your liver just listening to it.
    Recording:

Lyrics: http://shanty.rendance.org/lyrics/showlyric.php/whiskey2

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh man, those evil songs are evil. I can't wait to read what you guys come up with!

Whaaaa....?? [face_laugh]

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Because Canada.

19. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I have always loved that song! I cannot WAIT to see what you come up with!

20. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Oh, well, I think I'll just skip the protestations (I shouldn't! and etc) and go for it: #3.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    You got a dark one!

3- The Mermaid
    Info: A Mermaid appears to a ship and the crew now knows of its doom (NOTE: THIS IS NOT “The Mermaid Song” – that song is just a bit too… fishy for this challenge)
    Recording:

Lyrics: http://shanty.rendance.org/lyrics/showlyric.php/mermaid2

22. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  25. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Please give me number 13! Perhaps I need something totally different to put my mind on at present!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.