main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Black Panther (Wakanda Forever)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sith_Sensei__Prime, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm really looking forward to this movie.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not. This looks terrible, and I'm only saying all of this because I'm waiting for Rylo Ken.

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Eh, the trailer doesn't seem all that spectacular to me. I'm sure the movie will be good and entertaining, but as far as the trailer goes, it just looks like some pretty generic action scenes, some generic talk about being a king and whatnot. Anyway, it's not like Marvel needs trailers to sell tickets at this point.

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Looks like the highest budget blaxploitation flick ever made.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It looks like it has some decent scale to it and I'm hoping there's more than a few scenes of Freeman and Serkis so we can basically do Biblo / Gollum riffing again.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Didn't see the official poster release in here:

[​IMG]

I didn't care for the Ragnarok poster, which seemed to be popular.

Footnote - I think this one is about a million times better. Lots less neon.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They're both good for their respective films. The awesomeness of Ragnarok's poster matches the 80's tone of the film and trailers, thus the neon. This has the cooler tones of an advanced society built upon a special metal.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

http://www.theroot.com/wakanda-forever-on-the-importance-of-black-panther-1820459283

Some reading material for y'all, especially Wocky since they cover Hancock...

(but also Blade)

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    dp4m, thanks for posting the article above. As a person of color myself, I understand the importance and value of having a positive and strong character of the same skin color take the lead in a big budget Hollywood production. And the hopes and desires of Black Panther is that not only he'll be a character beloved by people of color, but by all people. That people won't think of him as a "Black" character but rather a fan favorite like most of the characters brought into the MCU.

For the record, let it be known that the Marvel character Black Panther was created before it hit the stands on July 1966 which predates the formation of the Black Panther Party which is October 1966.

Additionally, the comments about tokenism and Black exploitation film is in really poor taste, especially in light of Hollywood's historical practice of "White washing" characters. Such comments belittles and undermines the work and integrity of the Black Panther film. It's like saying Hong Kong Kungfu films and Bruce Lee films are exploitative of Asians. Thankfully, Bruce Lee and his films aren't revered in terms as tokenism and exploitation and I hope the Black Panther character and film won't be either.

I'm so looking forward to Black Panther and it's world building of Wakanda. The color pallet of the film reminds me of House of Flying Daggers, where it plays a part in the film as much as the soundtracks and special effect; just visually stunning.

International Trailer:

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I saw my first trailer before Thor Ragnorok. It looks good.

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It looks like another smash hit for Marvel - and much lower on the humour than T:R and Guardians 2 (both of which I enjoyed, incidentally), which is good as it suggests that Marvel isn't just going for the laughs all the time..

Sarge likes this.
  13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Thanks for the MCU commercial. Speaking frankly, Spawn and Hancock were disgusting in exactly the same way: the “shocking” and outre premise was that a black person could be heroic. It was as counter-intuitive as a heroic demon from hell or public drunk.

Her brief reference to Blade is basically correct. But it’s more than a little ironic that in a discussion where she also imagines denouncing “capitalism” she cheerleads form-fitting a generic black superhero into a story which, judging by the trailer, hadn’t even bothered to root itself in much knowledge of Africa, despite its cast and supposed mission.

We’ll see what happens. But she’s right: black people aren’t a monolith. And as one that has lived long enough not to describe 20 years as “my whole life” I don’t see anything particularly exciting here and much to be skeptical of.

14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    What little I know of T'Challa, I've thought of Black Panther as the hero of his people and the world at large. The cast is the hands down the most gorgeous cast Marvel has ever put together. Chadwick remains of one of the top highlights of Civil War for me, so I am looking forward to this film.

There's so much world building in the trailer alone, I feel like this will be one of the best Marvel films to date. Wakanda looks and feels more organic and real than Asgard and the various realms and I love the idea of a society that is build upon advanced science, traditions and some mysticism. I get such a regal and beautiful vibe from the visuals. I love that. You can feel the pride the people of Wakanda have for their nation and culture without it feeling like a PSA. Wakanda just is. That's all I ask for any characters, that I can believe in them and their world.

Most of all, it looks like fun in a way that isn't comedic or bleak. I think it's awesome that people can see themselves as superheroes, everyone should be represented. And if it's done in a way that entertains, embraces and enlightens without any baggage, even better. This looks like that kind of film.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    After seeing the Infinity War trailer, I'm more excited to see Black Panther as Wakanda and the characters thereof are featured prominently. Moreover, is the Soul Stone hidden in Wakanda. Will there be appearances by other MCU characters like Steve Rogers or Bucky?

I posted the MCU proper thread, that I could see Black Panther take over as the new Steve Rogers type of character based on character arc of T'Challa in Civil War and in the Black Panther trailer and now with the Infinity War trailer.

The cast of Black Panther is amazing. The movie is going to be LIT.

Master_Lok likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The smart guess is...
    The Mind Gem is in Wakanda and that's what drives the "the current Black Panther can talk to the spirits of all of the previous Black Panthers" in this universe... possibly meaning when it's taken, that there's the real possibility that T'Challa is the LAST of the Black Panthers (either entirely, or simply with that ability)...

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, last night I watched the most recent episode of "Robert Kirkman's Secret of Comics" which featured the raise and fall of DC's subsidiary "Milestone Comics," which documented the inspiration and inspiration for the company that wanted provided an authentic Black perspective in comic books told through the creations and characters.

It was noted early on in the episode that Black Panther was very inspirational to them, stating that the character was not a side kick, thug or some kind of comic relief like Whitewash Jones, which was incredibly racist as shown below.

[​IMG]

Therefore, when Black Panther appeared on the comic book scene it was truly revolutionary. Moreover, Black Panther was king of the most technology advanced country on the planet. The episode also noted that it was truly sensational to see Black Panther take down the Fantastic Four in issue 52 for the F4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black Panther played a significant role in comic books, both in between the pages and in the real world as the character inspired and open the door for Black artists, writers and editors to emerge and make an impact on the industry. Moreover, the cinematic iteration of the character made it so that Black Panther would have universal appeal. There's a clip in the episode that shows a White kid being really excited about getting a Black Panther costume. And I've searched YouTube and found kids of all color thrilled about wearing a Black Panther costume. And I think that's the most amazing thing about the MCU's Black Panther, in that, kids just see the content of the character.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    International trailer:

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I can't believe the film is just a little over two months away. As such, I'll be trying to avoid any more new footage.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000