main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Each of the two times the Death Star fires in Rouge One , the target site is missed by a wide margin.

while it is true that the DS was specifically designed as a planet killer, from the dialogue t is clear that the intent was only to destroy a small area on the planet.

Especially with the plans for the Death Star at risk why not just put the cross hairs right over the actual target area? .

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Merged threads.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Doesn't it hit Jedha city directly? I thought that was the target.

As for Sacrif, the Death Star is positioned so it can only make an angled shot, and re-positioning itself would put it in the middle of the battle.

4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    The way I thouight I understood it was that the Death Star would have needed more time to align for a precise shot, but since time wasn't on their side they went for the angled shot we saw.

5. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    If anything the Death star could be argued to be TOO accurate at the end blasting dish off the top of the citadel tower to try and halt any transmission.

6. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    1. I don't think the movie dove far enough into this idea of Rebels and Imperials whose morals aren't black/white. Cassian and Bodhi could have had some disagreements or conversations regarding their factions, and I think this moral grey area should have been at the forefront of the film all the way up to the climax. For the first spinoff, where it clearly wants to be operating on a different level than the traditional Star Wars film, I think it could have been appropriate to have a Rebel be the main threat to our hero in the end. Like maybe have it so Cassian's task of executing Galen only comes into play after they beam the plans out.

2. I think some of the characters could have used a couple more scenes. Jyn's change from apathetic survivor to self-sacrificing speech giver could have used a little more attention, and Yen's character could have used a scene about his past or something to give his character a little more direction/purpose, because as is, I found the inclusion of this monk like character a bit random and unnecessary beyond his cool action scenes and one liners.

3. K2SO didn't always work for me. Just didn't find some of the lines particularly funny, and they become a little annoying and forced on rewatch. I don't find the movie 'dry' or anything, so I actually could have done without the majority of his lines.

7. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    I think those "grey" areas do feature pretty prominently Smoke. I would not have minded having a bit more setup for the mission to Scarif though, a scene or two more between Jyn and Cassian.

8. Tristan the Trilobite

Tristan the Trilobite Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2017
    Generally speaking this is a good film that, if not as creative and original as the Lucas films, adds gravitas to the franchise by providing war drama (7/10). It also hold up on repeated viewing. I have a few criticisms though
    • Foremost, the infamous plot hole (logical inconsistency) due to the rushed reshoots: In Rogue One Vader kills the rebels while they physically bring/hand over the plans on Leia's ship, and Vader watching the ship escape. However, in ANH he claims several times (vis a vis Captain Antilles, Leia, Imperial Officer) that the said plans were "beamed" on Leia's ship and that he found them by tracing these transmissions back to the ship (so what is correct now, has he gone Force senile?).
    • Some fan service goes overboard: the Bar Thugs and droid cameos were so forced and unnecessary. Same with the AT AT walker scene: these vehicle were just ineffective and forgettable here, just for show. If you bring something back, make sure it leaves an impression and adds a layer. And did we need another Akbar-like Calamari commandeering a spaceship fleet just like in Jedi...imagination, please!?
    • The scene where Jyn beats up several armored stormtroopers and shoots an Imperial droid was forced and awkward, completely tonally misplaced in a war film. Same with the silly droid-catches-and-throws-grenade nonsense (what happend with the Trooper throwing it btw, did he just give up?). If you make the enemy soldiers dumbed down cannon fodder and jokes like this, that does not effective war drama suspense make.
    • Some pacing issues, especially in Act II.
    • Also, from a graphic whore perspective, the CGI Tarking and Leia were...ah, know what, forget it...iz just fine!

9. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015

But in the end (the entire last act, the mission), isn't it just the good guy Rebels thwarting the bad guy Imperials with none of the prior complications or characters' moral greyness factoring in?

10. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    That's because the progression of the film is from moral grayness to moral clarity. There's an arc. Both the characters and the visuals reflect this. Had that moral grayness carried through the end of Act 3, the film would have felt much more static, IMO. In my view, RO creates a perfect transition from the murk and despair of the Dark Times to the clarity and hope of the OT era. And from a mimetic to a mythic mode of storytelling. From Apocalypse Now to Star Wars, if you will. Edwards literally showed us a progression from early 70s to late 70s cinema. Brilliant on many levels.

EHT likes this.
  11. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Vader having his cape draped over himself like Dracula looks stupid. Why? He never appeared like this before.
    [​IMG]

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Is it that much different from...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ?

Dr_Cthulhu, EHT and Snafu55 like this.
  13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Oh it's definitely different. He covers up pretty much everything except the control panel. It just looks awkward. If his arm didn't pull it back here we'd only see a thin stripe of what's underneath the cape.
    [​IMG]

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Eh, he looks a bit more snuggled up, but he did just get out of the bath tub. :p

Avnar likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Maybe he's cold. The air conditioning on Mustafar is up too high. :p

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    In all of the scenes in the OT, Vader is at work. He's on the job on the Deathstar, on his Star Destroyer, on Hoth, on Endor. It's basically between 9 and 5 on a weekday.

In Rogue One, he's just chilling at home on Saturday afternoon. This is his comfortable look. All snuggled up in his capey wapey.

Wrenegade likes this.
  17. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Or the button that calls his mother is shorting out his climate controls.
    (Think Triumph interview)

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Or 1 is a size larger (like my work shirts!) for some stupid reason!

Maybe...um...er...what's his name? Vaders man slave! Vanee! (spelling?) accidentally ordered tha wrong size :cool:

19. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Nah, Tarkin was aiming right for Krennic's face.

20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Tarkin was there to prevent the Death Star plans from being beamed to the Republic. So he took out the big satellite with a direct hit.

21. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Wasn't long enough! :p

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

Lord Vader looks sensational in Rogue One! :D I love how his tunic is pleated, it's a nice touch and as far as his cape goes it looks fine to me! :D

Avnar, mirrorbright and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. Finland Skywalker

Finland Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 13, 2016
    I didn't like watching all of my new favourite characters that I just met die.

coervus and Avnar like this.
  24. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

Then buh bye.

25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I only saw this movie once in theater so I'm only going by memory.

- One of my biggest complaints is how they handled Saw. This spent the whole first act looking for him, speaking of his extremism, showing it and then,suddenly, he decides he no longer wants to run and he dies? I think I missed something because I definitively got that he was a mirror of Anakin in the side of the good guys.

- Some of the character's motivations are not really explained like Bodhi. He's a pilot who defected from the empire, then get tortured by a tentacle thing then is mostly a background character doing nothing really relevant until his death. I kinda fell the same for Baze who is basically just Chirrut's sidekick and the muscle of the story (since we have to get some spirituality in a war movie).

- I know for some, killing all the main characters may seem like a bold move but to me it felt like the safest hing they could do because "why else couldn't they be in the OT?" is the norm apparently. (It's supposed to be a war movie after all).

- Soundtrack was pretty forgettable beside one or two tracks.

-Some pretty pointless cameos (these two guys from Tatooine's cantina on Jedha specifically).

That's all I can really remember so far. I'll have to watch it again soon.