main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Getting the US through the Hex is totally different than the current coach's job, build up a new team for 2022.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    San Jose has a minus 21 Goal Differential, and controls their own destiny to qualify for the playoffs.

I dunno. Maybe that's what people are referring to when they say MLS players/clubs don't face pressure?

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    In a much needed shot-in-the-arm for US Soccer on the men's side, the Baby Nats are currently dominating Paraguay in a World Cup Knockout game, up 4-0 - wait, make ti 5-0 as Tim Weah finishes his hat trick as I'm typing.

Weah's second goal was an absolute stunner, and the kid has already signed a professional contract with PSG.

Josh Sargent had another goal and an assist in this game, continuing his stellar tournament, on the heels of an excellent U-20 World Cup. He's got a pre-contract with Werder Bremen.

Sergino Dest is another name to watch. The young fullback is signed with Ajax.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen. The US U-17s started three players today in a do-or-die game that are with European Clubs. The same number the senior men's national team managed in their do-or-die game vs. T&T (Wood, Yedlin, AmericanSoccerJesus).

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yikes re: news about Crew potentially moving to Austin without a stadium. That'd be a shame.

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yup. My terrible Sports week continues.

In one sense, you could say MLS has "arrived" with this. An owner holding a city hostage, threatening to move if they don't get a new stadium? That's a page right out of the NFL playbook.

In reality, it's terrible for the sport and the league. Columbus is not only an original franchise, they are the original franchise - the first awarded for the 1996 season. Provided MLS with its first Soccer Specific Stadium. Hosted so many memorable USMNT moments.

Hopefully, it can be averted. But I wouldn't blame Columbus for not subsidizing a Billionaire and footing the bill for a stadium. Tax breaks, perks, and incentives? Absolutely. Pay for everything? No way.

solojones and heels1785 like this.
  6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Seriously. if this happens, I might be done with professional sports.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

fat sam

everything about him fits right in with where we are as a country atm

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That would be magnificent. And don't forget, he has a 100% win record at international level.

[​IMG]

heels1785 and yankee8255 like this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    against the slovaks, no less - 100 times better than trinidad

what do we have to lose at this point

fat sam in

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He even drinks wine by the pint, ensuring a positive endorsement from anakinfansince1983

[​IMG]

And if you have that, you are a shoe-in

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't disagree with anything he said. the arrogance of not just the team but the entire organization has been baffling.

And I assume you mean outfield player.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    He'd be popular on name alone. I imagine that there are many more capable and qualified candidates.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    First requirement to get my support - not being Sunil Gulati

dp4m likes this.
  16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Which keeper, Howard, Keller or Friedel?

As for Donovan, does he have any managerial experience? What’s he been doing since retirement?

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I tend to rate Friedel the highest, but that's because I have the most emotional connection with him. He was the keeper for La Guerra Fria - The Original Dos a Cero - and for the 2002 World Cup run. And, he is from the Cleveland area.

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I tend to lean toward Keller because he played in the BuLi.

But yeah, I’d keep the discussion between outfield players and keepers separate.

19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I tend to lean toward Keller because he played in the BuLi.

But yeah, I’d keep the discussion between outfield players and keepers separate.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Baby Yanks getting dismantled in the U-17 quarterfinals.

Still. A tournament in proud of. US didn't just get results, winning three of five games, they also showed good composure, technical skills, and calmness both on the ball and in situations. There's hope this won't be another lost generation

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Columbus the five seed in the East, but would host MLS Cup over ANY Western Conference Team. Even the NBA thinks that's imbalanced.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    it is glorious to watch the bloated, uninspired galaxy at the bottom of the league

below minnesota, basically a beer league team

glorious

gg today Inty. tie seemed appropriate.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Vermes would be a very good choice... But you/we can't have him. Move along

Seriously, though, without the US or the Netherlands I guess I'm rooting for my next most prominent heritage that's in the World Cup... England.

That will end well for sure!

Well, at least I've got that German great-grandfather to fall back on.

yankee8255 likes this.
  24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Splitting the points was probably appropriate, heelsy. Fun match to watch. David Villa is such a class player.

Steffen giveth and Steffen taketh away, right? Terrible howler to let the second goal in for NYCFC, but then ice in the veins as he denies Villa the winning penalty in stoppage time.

I'm a little bitter that the referee didn't whistle play dead immediately, as the rule book instructs, for the head foul to Jonathan. NYCFC played on (can't blame them, this is on the ref), earned a corner, and then scored when our tallest defender was off the pitch getting treatment during that corner. Soccer as a whole needs to do better about head injuries.

Oh, well, onto Atlanta. Worst case scenario for Columbus. Would have preferred Chicago, or either New York team if we had to play in the knockout round.

Meanwhile, Bill Hamid, the former presumed heir apparent to be the #1 US Goalkeeper has signed with FC Midtjylland in Denmark, leaving D C United on a Free Transfer. Maybe that Steffen kid should get a look with the US?

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Heart attack

Screaming

Crying

Oh my god

I hate sports. I love sports.

Glory to Columbus. #SaveTheCrew

26. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005