main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If you've ever wondered what it would be like to take a personally guided tour of Mandalore, Lit's Galactic Travel Guide would now like to give you that chance.

Enter the Star Wars galaxy, and embark on a journey from Coruscant to the Outer Rim, as you take on the role of a tourist traveling to the planet Mandalore for the first time. Spend a few days on the Mandalorian homeworld, seeing the sights, sampling the food, and experiencing the day-to-day life of its citizens in cities like Keldabe, Sundari, and smalltown Enceri, with a knowledgeable local guide—and skilled bodyguard—at your side along the way.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know when did the removal of colonists from Qiilura happen?

3. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The initial attempts would've taken place over the course of a few weeks in 21 BBY, but between the hostilities that broke out near Imbraani when several of the colonists refused to leave, and the Confederacy's subsequent attempt to annex the Qiilura system the following year, the exact timeframe and chain of events is left a little unclear. However, by 19 BBY, the Gurlanin Valaqil notes that the planet is "now recovering from the human occupation," so we can assume the colonists have all been ousted by then.

Bardan_Jusik and Gamiel like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, then they most likely was dumped on Kebolarin 20 BBY, right?

5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Cross posting this from our vod fanclub in SWC, but there is quite a bit of Mando action in the Season 4 trailer of Rebels.

Sinrebirth and Mia Mesharad like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Several of them have the same color as Boba Fett....hmm

7. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    And now this (warning some spoilers for Rebels season 4 appear in the following video)

Where Filoni mentions his responsibility to the fans of Mandalorians as they appeared in the EU (publishing, games and so forth). So thanks Dave for preserving what you could!

8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Mandalorian Civil Wars everywhere. It seems that it is more about the Mandalorians vs the Empire by this stage though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Lets see what parts of the oEU's Mandalorians they chose to use. Personally I'm hopping more for the really old stuff, as in Marvel. I want to see the trone suits!

11. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Only really got one large nerf over the portrayal so far. . .they are all human or so closely humanoid one cannot tell the difference, with each house seemingly made of a single distinct ethnic group. This bothers me outside deathwatch and the Dutchess' groups.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have no problem with that, but that's probably because the media I read that formed my picture of the mandos all had them as humans or so closely humanoid one cannot tell the difference (ignoring TofJ which take place 10.000 years earlier)

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It bothers me a lot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaster Vhett likes this.
  14. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Kinda makes me wonder if we should be doing a Mando'a role call write in to give Disney and Filoni a swift wakeup call, the Mandayiim and vode is bound by honor and beskar, not blood.

Jaster Vhett and Sinrebirth like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe beskar don't exist in the NEU

16. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe beskar don't exist in the NEU. I mean the NEU are not in any way bound by the OEU, any reference to old lore is only because somebody decided to use it in the new EU, do a research mistake and believe something written for the OEU also is true for the NEO or was involved in the OEU and forget that thing they just used is no longer canon.

Maybe they decide that mando's don't have space-mithril that can stop the most iconic weapon of the francize without any problems or special effects.

18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Force Ghost star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    Su cuy'gar!

Any more room for a fellow Mando?

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  19. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Su'cuy! Always room for another vod!

TheAdmiral and Sinrebirth like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  21. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    According to the new Rebels episodes beskar exists.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Intereting, now we just have to see if it will be Anaxesed or keept as space-mithril

23. TheAdmiral

Mar 28, 2004
    Not sure whether I should keep the spoiler tag... Anyway

From what they showed it was special, since it warranted to have a special superweapon that will neutralize it. Also they kept the tradition of having ancient armour, just adding modifications by the current wearer.

24. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    No need for the spoiler tag, the episode has aired. For things like movies or even books we try to keep things spoiler tagged for a bit (like two weeks) unless otherwise noted, but the episodes we're discussing no longer need a tag (even if it hasn't been that long).

I loved the mention of beskar, and yeah it's noted for it's toughness though at this point nothing has reconfirmed it's lightsaber resistant properties. I'm going to keep assuming those until it's been proven otherwise though. Closer to the original intention of this fanclub, I loved yet another mention of True Mandalorians. I mentioned earlier that I was hoping for that groups recanonization, and it looks as though in a way we have it, though as with many other Legends it's been altered.

From this episode and the one before it that makes use of the term, the True Mandalorians seem to be more of a way to encompass all of those Mandalorians who remained true to their warrior roots, and Death Watch would be the terrorist sub set of those warrior Mandalorians. I think some other material has called them Old Mandalorians, but I like this much better as it's not just "Old" and "New" and let's us bring the True Mandalorians back into the canon in some way.

25. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    I'm back.

Beskar - it's never explicitly stated that it's resistant to lightsabers, but the iTunes exclusive featurette "Sabine's Mandalorian Roots" has Filoni explicitly mentioning beskar's "invulnerabilities". What those invulnerabilities are exactly we don't know yet. I will note, however, that we have not seen a lightsaber penetrate beskar plating besides a single panel in "Son of Dathomir" and we already know that Mandalorian armor is sometimes made from durasteel (Jango's - Ultimate Star Wars) and we know that Death Watch's armor at that time was mass produced (the mines on concordia as opposed to the more familiar forging mentioned by Sabine). I will also add that, in Legacy of Mandalore, Sabine's disarming of Gar Saxon involves the blade striking his vambrace with no visible damage to the armor at all besides sparks. I broke the scene down literally frame by frame, I even made a gif that's somewhere on my computer. I am quite positive of this.

However, my conclusion is that the question will never be explicitly answered one way or another as a compromise to the EU beskar fans without damaging the reputation of the lightsaber. Additionally to this, Mandos do have those vambrace shields and I strongly believe that is intended to be a Mandalorian's canonical defense against lightsabers as it is mentioned in the "Return to Mandalore" featurette during the segment about Mandalorian's developing ways to counteract Force abilities. We know energy shields/energy fields definitely block lightsabers in canon anyway so I think the point is moot.

Alien Mandos - Matt Martin of the Storygroup had this to say when asked on Twitter about alien Mandos - "The Mandalore system encompasses a lot of worlds so it's probably not a safe assumption that ALL "Mandalorians" are human."

I liked the concept of True Mandalorians vs. Death Watch but I always felt the name "True Mandalorians" was way too vague for a factional name.