main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would you wanna see a trilogy based off the Yuuzhan Vong storyline from the books?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015

If they had the idea of a possible re-unification between the Sith and Jedi arc taking place, the YV could be a villain that could be used for such a purpose. But that is almost an End of Franchise type of story. So Not sure how it would work?

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Was referring to the Aiing-Ti, Jennasaari, Fallanasi, etc.

Hmm. I think one more super trilogy after the NJO series could work.
    A revamped and planned out from the beginning DNT/LOTF/FOTJ.

Killiks rise up to destroy the galaxy now, so that several more decades of war don't wake up Abeloth.
    The Sith (Krayt leads a coalition of Sith, and then the Lost Tribe) rise up and cause another war.
    Their actions eventually cause Abeloth to be awakened.
    Jedi and Sith have to unite to stop Abeloth.
    Then to defeat her for good the remaining alive Skywalker and Solo's go into the Force to defeat Abeloth with help from Anakin Solo, Anakin Skywalker and whoever else died.

Anyway, the NJO series is the end of my saga.
    Fan-fic it is.

3. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    hmmm do I want to see a film based on the Yuuzhan Vong.... this is an easy one to answer...

I never thought the Yuuzhan Vong fit well in the "style" of Star Wars...

they seem more like a Star Trek deep space nine villains or Babylon 5 antagonists/villains...

So I would say.. its not at the top of my "want" list for star wars

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think that's why I like the concept of them. The fact that they don't "feel" like SW is great IMO, since they are from a different galaxy. The idea that things are very different outside of the GFFA we know...something completely alien and exotic.

Who knows what's lying out there?? :cool:

Taylore and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If they take the Extra-galatic space invasion concept and the name, I could be down for a very loose adaptation of that story. but Vector Prime was the reason I bounced from the post-ROTJ era, I think I got like two more books and bailed so I wouldn't want to see a beat by beat adaptation but the idea of the space aliens from outside the galaxy named the Yuuzhan Vong could be interesting. A long form story could work maybe not a movie but could make for an interesting arc on a TV series or something.

all that Legends stuff is in a locker, feel free to use it but not be beholden to it, which is how it's been going so far.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  6. Finland Skywalker

Finland Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 13, 2016
    I know nothing about the storyline you are talking about

7. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Not a fan of the Vong. I'm not opposed to a "force resistant" species or something similar from outside known space, but the Vong were "meh" to me.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I am opposed to a "Force resistant" species. Life creates the Force, and makes it grow, binds the universe together, luminous beings are we. In my understanding of the Force, all life is part of it, there's no way to be alive without the Force. (I don't like ysalimiri either.)

Bazinga'd likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ulic Qel Droma and the Exile from KOTOR 2 lost their connection to the Force for a time.
    With the Ysalmiri its natural selection to survive being hunted by the Vronskrs.
    The Force is an infinite mystery. Who says that we know everything about it.
    Not that the Vong are outside of the Force.
    Star Wars Traitor.
    There is no life without the
    Force. The human eye does not register electromagnetic energy outside
    the tiny band of frequencies called visible light--but even though you
    can't see them, those frequencies exist. The Yuuzhan Vong and their
    creations must participate in a part of the Force that is beyond the

range of Jedi senses. That's all.

Sudooku likes this.
  10. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    Not really for me. The Vong felt like an attempt by writers of less caliber than Zahn trying to inject organic ships into the SW universe since Babylon5 made it then popular for sci-fi in the mid-90's.
    However, the Vong were not really far techno-superior nor a billion+ year old race like the vorlons. So it was partial Alien grossness and insect muck. Then they had to do a reprise
    of more insectizoid muck with the Killicks now with mind control. I kinda wished they would have just pulled out an ol Death Star/suncrusher core out of retirement and bug zapped
    the whole boring icky lot.

For another extra galactic invader, another try could be something like Fred Saberhagens' Berserkers, relentless and intent on destroying all life. Not so much startreky borg, but good for a big war.
    https://www.amazon.com/Berserker-Wars-Fred-Saberhagen/dp/0523485204

Sarge likes this.
  11. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000

First of all, how would they include Princess Leia, after recent events? Unless they did it as an animated series. They shouldn't pull a full-length Rogue One. That being said, something could be made of that story, especially since it connects to Jacen's turn into Darth Caedus--maybe Kylo Ren could have had a similar experience?

12. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    No, I feel like it's too long to have as a movie story line.

13. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I'd like to see the basic concept used somehow, since I think that it's a nice changeup from the usual Jedi/Sith (or similar light/dark) stuff. Assuming that the current trilogy deals with the Force in a satisfying, relatively conclusive manner, then a group of antagonists who don't fit the mold, and who require different thinking to oppose, could be just the thing for Episodes X-XII.

That being said, I don't think that it would follow the NJO books all that closely. Just the concept adapted.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would imagine the Vong could be used as the main villain force that plays out over an entire trilogy, like perhaps that could be the main motivation for Episodes X-XII. It would offer a refreshing turn of pace from the constantly re-emerging Sith/darkside threat, and has the potential to bring a conflict on an epic, galaxy-wide scale. Then XII could end with the whole "we've all overcome our differences and come together after fighting for our very existence from this interstellar enemy," blah blah blah. I agree, maybe don't take the adaptation of the Vong to closely, but IMO it could definitely work-and would bring a fresh take to the saga, instead of more of the same. Not to mention if they wanted to end the main saga there, it would be a great and epic way to end things after 12 episodes...

15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As to the original point, no, thank you. From the NJO onwards, it seemed like the EU was locked into TESB mode. The only point in reading the books was to see what unutterable tragedy would befall the heroes this time. It was so downbeat that I finally gave up on it.

However, if you want some extragalactic threat to the GFFA, one that will unite former enemies and put everything at risk, then let's not fool around with sado-masochistic, insectoid bozos. Let's go all out with...

[​IMG]

16. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    If they removed the Vong's fanatical religion based around pain and suffering and made them a race who abhors technology and uses living tools for everything, that'd make a decent enough movie series

However, given the sheer scope of the NJO, you'd have to trim a lot of content - even without the S&M, there was a lot of stories told from wildly different view points and offered glimpses into the deepest workings of both sides

A TV series would be leagues better

I'm also sorely tempted to make it set in The Old Republic era so we have more time to mess around with it

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    As good as I find that idea, I seriously doubt that Disney will do it next time. Not when the fashion of bowing down before the OT is that strong, giving us one humano-centric standalone movie after one, including the ST, where the non-human villain Snoke is yet to make a credible and in-the-flesh appearance.

In current times, where the PT is bashed constantly as a digital animated abomination, a Yuuzhan Vong film, let alone a trilogy, would stand no chance, even though the current state on earth is yearning for it.

18. Finland Skywalker

Nov 13, 2016
    Seeing how this fandom tends to dislike CGI. I can't see it working out very well.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Again, you are making a blanket statement about an entire fandom, which consists of millions of people. You seem to have trouble understanding that it is made up of individuals, with differing opinions about almost every aspect of these films. So with that in mind, stop making baiting generalizations, or from this point on it will be considered trolling.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  20. Finland Skywalker

Nov 13, 2016
    Sorry. I did not mean for that to come across as trolling.

21. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    I would love to see a trilogy based on the Yuuzhan Vong invasion. I really enjoyed the biological aspects of the YV stories and I think they make interesting foes.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ah yes, the chicken people who are immune to the Force. Aren't their bad guys called the Whysalami as well?

23. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I honestly can't see Disney featuring the Yuuhzan Vong (or similar extra-galactic species) in any future movies. The arrival of the Vong irreparably changed the face of the galaxy and Disney are unlikely to want that. Tha GFFA has a certain aesthetic that cinema goers have come to expect.

A force from outside the galaxy would be very different in look and feel. This would impact the tone and appearance of these movies which may similarly impact future movies set further along the timeline. I honestly don't see Disney taking that big a gamble. Star Wars is a guaranteed money-maker and I can't see Disney tampering with the magic formula.

24. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    It would take more than a trilogy to adapt NJO.

25. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Vong have always been a divisive issue among Star Wars fans, but I would like it. Maybe not until like 10 years down the line though.

Darth Voorhees likes this.