main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    ......when you start wondering...what if everyone in SW had a cat? and are cats related to loth-cats and tookas or are some kind of lost descendants or subspecies? Is there like, a planet with only cats on it? Only fanfic can answer these crucial questions....

2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
  3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I always like to put cats in fanfic stories! I'm sure they're Force sensitive.

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you have to re-read your own stuff to remember where you left off before something had melted your brain. [face_hypnotized][face_beatup]

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Of course they are. Mine are always doing a Jedi mind tricks on me. Why else would I buy $10 boxes of kitty treats all the time.

gizkaspice and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

...aaand you stay up to four in the morning and then you can't fall asleep because it's too warm. D'oh!

7. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Yep. and "going through old stuff for continuity reasons and realizing that you really should have kept a bible for your works...

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    ... when you're writing a scene that takes place in a cave and you realise that you completely lack the vocabulary to do that in English.

Which brings me to:

... when you best friends are Donald D. Dictionary and Thomas T. Thesaurus.

9. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    ...you swear (at least mentally) using GFFA swear words. Caught myself saying “this is such a karking pain in the shebs” this morning. However, it works well if you have kids you don’t want to hear the usual words. ;)

Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

It's never too late...I suppose? Or am I trying to encourage myself since we're in the same poodoo here. :p

11. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    When you're browsing Pinterest and a generic writing prompt makes you go, "OMG! Plot bunny attack!"

Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I guess so! :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm a native English speaker and the thesaurus is my best friend, I'm constantly looking for a different word than the one I'm using. The dictionary would be as well, but even the dictionary can't usually figure out what I'm trying to spell so Google is my best friend there. :p

BookExogorth and Chyntuck like this.
  14. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    *suggests the book "The Complete Idiot's Guide for a Smart Vocabulary" in place of Donald D. Dictionary and Thomas T. Thesaurs for Chyntuck * It pretty much has a word for....EVERYTHING (or at least most topics when you're stuck and I didn't even know words for some things existed!).

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when you are playing Star Trek Timelines and can't help but want to write fics about the odd, cross time and space and race crew members who are put together to complete missions.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  16. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    :oops: sorry for the double post!

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you find ~500 words of a rough outline for a story people wanted you to write when you finished your first epic back in 2015 and it seems to be matching two current challenges.

Findswoman and Sith-I-5 like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you lose your PERFECT read & comment list, which even had the stories ordered by length and priority.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.mp3

Findswoman likes this.
  19. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when being stuck in email mode instead of prose leads to interesting things in the rough draft that may or may not end up in the final, but at least it's forward progress... of a sort. (I blame the counties-wide fire thing, and personal familial dramas. I didn't know how stressed out I was until I finally started to come down the day of funeral #2...)

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Hugs, DaenaBenjen42. Still, writing is the best therapy. If it helps you get through these hard times, so be it! Don't question it, at all. @};-

...when you should be banned from this thread for dominating it.

...when you FINALLY have the right plot bunnies, but you've had two types of headaches, nausea and whatchamacallit within less than a day. Kriff this, LOL. :p

DaenaBenjen42 likes this.
  21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when your muse spends all day providing material for one of the challenges, plus an incidental baby delivery system, when you finally find twenty minutes to write something, you spend it trying to un-truncate an old OTP origins fic.

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Doub- no, triple post.

23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Sith-I-5 Were you trying to find a story on the Wayback Machine? If so, I can look it up for you in my husband's magic spreadsheet.

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Chyntuck - I sort of mis-spoke.

It would appear that in 2009, I created a fic post which tried to recover an old RP post which served as the origins for my OTP.

The fic post was called "We Will Always Have Iskalon", but I think it was the RP forum post that suffered the original truncation.

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    ...when your muse decides to show up at 1:30 am and you are already in bed and your partner is asleep beside you so you try to type very quietly. Have you ever noticed how loud keys are when the room is very quiet? :p