main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One What was your reaction the first time seeing the Vader hallway scene?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Blue 5, May 9, 2017.

1. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    The hallway scene was the first time we saw a truly bad arse suited Darth Vader doing serious damage to an enemy force on screen. It was indeed a scene I've been wanting to see for 40 years!

2. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    When I first heard about it, I thought what's the big deal? It's just random rebels.

In the theatre, jaw drop.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I'm pleased that I had no idea it was going to be in the film and to be honest the whole ending was probably the best of any Star Wars film.

redxavier, Avnar and Ricardo Funes like this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yup. And those "random Rebels" are now memorialized in a way that no other "random Rebels" are. It was a demonstration of pure heroism. They all knew they were going to die. And we'll never forget those faces as a result.

5. richardfromnyc

richardfromnyc Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2017
    to quote Freddie Mercury, the scene 'Sent shiver down my spine'

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I still get chills from how they go from "help us!" to "take it!".

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes! I love that, too.

Gigoran Monk and EHT like this.
  8. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    First time I saw the hallway scene, I thought... my childhood is now complete a decade plus later.

Trikuza23, Gigoran Monk and Sarge like this.
  9. vit

vit Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2016
    My very first time seeing it in theater:
    - Oh boy oh boy oh boy here he comes
    - Holy **** he slammed him into the ceiling and sliced him in half so casually
    - Badass shot of Vader looking at that ship

Ricardo Funes, Snafu55 and themoth like this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like how it matches up with the angry Vader choking Antilles in ANH.

11. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Yep he definitely seemed to mellow since.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  12. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    For 39 years, I thought Antilles drew the short straw, boy was I wrong.

13. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    i had been pretty unwell and in hospital for a while but got out the night the movie came out so my mum took me to the drive in and i was just totally amazed my jaw hit the ground and beaming ear to ear and jumping around in the car even though i wasn't allowed to weight bare on my foot. my mum totally didn't get why i was so excited but did tear up for the jyn/kassian death

Lady_Misty and Gigoran Monk like this.
  14. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

[​IMG]

15. Kladdagh

Kladdagh Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 9, 2017
    The movie is REALLY good ... But the entire end is AWSOME ...
    Loved Vader entry !!!

16. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017
    People don't seem to ever bring up how great the acting was from the guys who were playing the Rebel Fleet Troopers during the Vader rampage scene. They did a phenomenal job of emoting anxiety and stress during all of that intense mayhem. Truly splendid performances from all of them.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Totally agreed, but it's been mentioned in this and other threads in here before. These guys even have a collective character arc: they go from understandable concern for themselves when the door gets jammed ("help us!") to accepting their fate and just wanting to get the plans out of there so someone after them can do something with them ("take it!"). That line still gives me chills.

Bor Mullet, Trikuza23, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  18. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    \o/

(except I didn't jump, squeal and wave around in a full movie theatre, my arms'd been broken, but you get the point)

19. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    If you think that, then you clearly didn't bother to read the entire thread.

20. samlecompte1994

samlecompte1994 Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2017
    Personally, I loved it. It was well done and portrayed Vader much closer to how he is in Empire than had been seen in years. It also works for two other reasons. First, it gave the film a lightsaber scene, as Vader is the only character in the film that is a force user(although Chirrut is force sensitive) and second, the fridge brilliance was only one of these Rebel officers had to survive.

21. The Wagonmaster

The Wagonmaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2017
    It's a harrowing scene and I'm glad I saw Rogue One a couple of months after the hype went down. Supposedly, people were cheering, applauding and generally going nuts during the scene, which is entirely inappropriate. It's supposed to be scary, not "badass", and, in that sense, it was very effective. Also, there were some reviewers such as Jenny Nicholson and Red Letter Media who were using the fact that people were cheering during the slaughter as evidence that the film wasn't good. This is unfair. You can't hold it against the film that people cheer during inappropriate times.

Lady_Misty and Sarge like this.
  22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    RO Vader is so good because he's treated as both theatrical and scary. That's when he's at his best.

Lady_Misty and samlecompte1994 like this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I just realized I haven't posted in this thread.

I was completely spoiler free for Rogue One, so I had no idea Vader would be in it as much as he was. I figured that after his scene on Mustafar, that would be it - and I was fine with that, even though I of course wanted more. When he showed up and said "prepare a boarding party" I still didn't expect much, as I figured we had already seen that boarding party in ANH. It wasn't until the hallway went dark that I realized what was to come. Then when the lightsaber was ignited I was completely incapable of both blinking and breathing until the scene was over. It's both one of the most terrifying and awesome scenes I've ever seen in the cinema. It totally blew me away. Still does, as a matter of fact.

24. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It was needed. Now we have a proper reference to what a fully trained Force user can do with trained regular soldiers.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  25. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    He was a boss during that scene. Never seen him so violent and unbound before like that.

Lady_Misty and Ricardo Funes like this.