main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The We're Bored So Let's Talk About Whatever Arena Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 16, 2006.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think usain bolt is a tremendous athlete. i wish he played sports. :p

DarthIntegral likes this.
  2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Ha, Chris Froome, Eliud Kipchoge or any endurance athlete would like a word.

I forget where I read it but they monitored the heart rates of Nascar drivers during a race and there were around 120-150bpm. Which is basically around what a runner will experience during a marathon (140bpm is normally the baseline for a runner). That's a pretty crazy effect on your body for sitting still for few hours.

Juliet316 and Luke02 like this.
  3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yep and IMHO you got major stones to get into a weapon (car) going 200 MPH and drive bumper to bumper for a couple hours. Only people with bigger stones are Formula One racers. That is just insanity and it's the one race I never been to that I always wanted to see. I been to a NASCAR race and I been to the Indy 500 even though I am at best a casual fan of both but I never been to a Formula One event so it's on the bucket list. I particularly to see one in another country.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My rule of thumb for "is it a sport"

Do I say "Why the **** is <sports channel> showing this" when it's on TV.

Track and Field and Gymnastics, in.

Poker and Bowling Out.

So, for the record, since it includes a ball, tom includes bowling where I do not, and excludes Track and Field, where I do not.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    nope, no defense in bowling so it's out. i told you my definition is narrow.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

So would MMA fighters like Ronda Rousey.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm not trying to be controversial. i don't think fighters or runners or cyclists or mountain climbers or speed walkers are unimpressive because they don't play sports. i just think they don't play sports.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

I think you passed that point when you said track and field wasn't a sport.:p

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    meh, i gave my definition of sports knowing that most wouldn't agree. i like it though because it eliminates a lot of the grey area like whether speed walking is a sport or bowling or poker or eating hot dogs, even though it also eliminates a lot of things that most other people agree are sports.

10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It's a matter of categorisation, in the line of Kant and Schopenhauer. Schopenhauer actually used sports as an example to describe categorisation.
    I guess tom's definition of sports is "competitive ball games". That's very narrow. But if you take the meaning of words like "sporty" and "sportsmanlike" into account, it makes sense. Just a matter of what you base your definition on.

Similarly, one could argue rap is not music :p

tom likes this.
  11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I do appreciate the simplicity of your stance (and admit I missed the "play defense" portion initially).

tom likes this.
  12. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I'm throwing cyclists into the mix, obviously outside of extreme sports. These guys have absolutely no fear. They're going a little under 60mph down the side of a mountain, sitting on the top tube with the only protection being a helmet. Anything goes wrong, you don't walk away from that. You probably don't walk again period and that's probably the best case scenario.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    the bike's obviously doing all of the work

Luke02 likes this.
  14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think it's a fun discussion and one i've had with others before, which is how i eventually arrived at my definition. i just can't find any other metric for determining what is a sport. it can't be physical exertion, otherwise things like aerobics and hammering rocks would be sports. it can't be danger, adrenaline junkies do all kinds of stuff that no one would probably call sports. so i'm left with my stance as simple and limiting as it might be. again, i would stress that i think many runners, high jumpers, gymnasts, etc. are very impressive athletes, i just don't consider those activities "sports".

Guidman likes this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't find a lot of fault in your definition. Because, while I want to include, say, athletics and swimming, I don't want to include, say, Chess and Poker.

i want to say the crucial element is an objective way to declare a winner, be it through a pre-defined way to score points, or an objective way to declare a superior effort, such as less time to finish the same task, or covering more distance with the same opportunity. While that means Gymnastics and Diving (subjective scoring of points) are out (I'm okay with this) and MMA and Boxing (again, you can go to subjective judges for scoring) possible are out as well (I'm mostly also okay with this) ... I'm not sure it actually dismisses, say, Poker, Darts, and Rifle Shooting.

And, while you could throw in an additional qualifying line such as "through the physical exertion of athletic activity" you are now going down the rabbit's hole of what an athletic activity is, or how much physical exertion is needed to qualify.

It's a fun discussion to have, but I definitely struggle to find one that is inclusive enough, but not overly exclusive.

tom - you include a puck to allow for the Hockey caveat without a ball, would you also allow a Frisbee caveat to allow something such as Ultimate Frisbee?

tom and Guidman like this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, ultimate frisbee definitely fits the spirit of my definition. balls happen to be used in most sports, but it doesn't have to be a ball. but yeah, it's really hard to narrow it down without going down one rabbit hole or another.

17. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    standard definition is

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

something like darts or poker dont really use any physical exertion, so wouldn't count even in this very lenient definition.

imo to exclude a host of sporting events, a large section of the Olympics for example, seems excessive; I mean what 'borderline'' sports are we even talking about? bowling?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't think it's excessive because it's not like i'm saying swimming and running and pole vaulting are inferior activities and no one should watch them. i have always loved the olympics. i just put those things in a different box than i do sports i guess. i don't even know why really, it's kind of pedantic, but arguments happen over whether such and such is a sport and this is the way i deal with it i guess.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My definition of a sport is “Does the activity build muscle to the point to the minimum of 75 percent of your body weight being muscle, and does the activity build stamina to the point where your resting heart rate averages 60 beats per minute?”

I’m not sure “heart rate increase due to fear of crashing into a wall and dying” as opposed to “heart rate increase due to aerobic work” counts as a “sport,” so at the moment I don’t count NASCAR.

As far as bicycling...anyone who does not think it’s a sport is welcome to bike 20 miles beside me, including several hills.

CT-867-5309 and Guidman like this.
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    the muscle needed to control a stock car experiencing up to 3 Gs while in a superspeedway turn is considerable.

i can understand the skepticism, but the sport is a lot different than it used to be when any bubba with a beer gut could roll his mercury cyclone out onto the flat dirt track and compete.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Are we all in agreement then that competitive eating is not a sport even though I find it truly fascinating at times? :confused:

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  22. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    So wait do the 49ers play sports since they have no defense?

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    solid burn. my only counter is thirty years old gifs.

[​IMG]

24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I still blame the downfall of the 49ers on getting rid of their uniforms back then. How do you mess with perfection? It's like the curse of the Honey Bears. Until the 49ers go back to the old jerseys, they won't win anything just like the Bears will not win another Super Bowl again until they bring back the Honey Bears.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    we were so close with harbaugh, jed york is just terrible. i wouldn't mind those unis back either though.