main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007

Oh daymn. That's a major K-wing nerf. Disappointing, they'll be a lot weaker in competition now with the deactivated weapons.

Not sure it affects SLAM otherwise though, most ships using it aren't bombers anyway.

2. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

It will need a quick repaint to turn that unsightly black trim back to the traditional red, but otherwise I'm thrilled. Once we find out the costing on the non-Kylo Silencers, I'm excited to put together a LucasArts' Revenge list of a Defender, Gunboat, and TIE Avenger Silencer.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

It's unfortunate that the Silencer means we'll definitely never get an Avenger, though. :(

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

TheRedBlade and MercenaryAce like this.
  5. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Not impossible, but definitely no time soon.

I think EU-wise, Hunter, Droid and Scimitar are the next likely ones in no particular order

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So long as there's no Stealth-X, I'm happy.

If there's a YT2000, I'm VERY happy though.

7. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007

What's wrong with a Stealth-X? Rebels do kinda need a ship with cloak (as do scum).

I want my Blasted Skipray dang it.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

It was a lazy deus ex machina/crutch by a fifth-rate writer too lazy to create inventive solutions to problems?

Everything about it was bad.

YT2000 by contrast is glory. It's also in Fly Casual! So maybe, one day, pls FFG?

Edit: oooh, customs:

[​IMG]

TheRedBlade and Gorefiend like this.
  9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Man, tie names are getting too poetic.

In my days, TIEs were named after their tactical roles - what is wrong with having some of those with a Mk2 or model-G or something.

/oldman

TheRedBlade likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The YT-2000 is hideous. I hated having to fly it in XWA.

I was happy with the classic YT-1300, even if technically inferior.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You're hideous. [face_plain]

Take dead Emperor:

[​IMG]

TheRedBlade likes this.
  12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Was it the ship, or the fact that the pilot was a Rebel from the merchant class?

Ender Sai and TheRedBlade like this.
  13. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007

Huh. I'm not seeing it. But each to their own.

Stealth fighters with propulsion-less bombing technology have been around for years in the real world. The Stealth-X seemed a natural fit in Star Wars to me to fill that role.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The Stealth-X wasn't really poorly conceptualized - except perhaps in the sense of being a X-Wing variant instead of a new starfighter - but it was very poorly executed.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

But it's not fantasy, and that's the problem. I hated things like Luceno's X-box thing in Millenium Falcon or the war on terror allegories in LOTF. It's taking WWII style fighters and making them 1970/80s craft, like the "Frisbee" in Red Storm Rising.

16. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Ah, "How much 'real world' things is it acceptable to have in Star Wars?" the never ending battle.

On the one hand, characters having cell phones or modern slang like "bad ass" can feel out of place.

On the other hand:

"This jackass just said that something can go "through a ferrocrete bunker like a neutrino through plasma." I get it, man. It says Star Wars on the cover. I know I'm reading about Star Wars. It's like, do they not have butter in space? Or hot knives to cut it with?" -Gabe, Penny Arcade

17. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
  18. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007

I agree that the political allegories don't belong.

But If you look at the starfighter combat in Star Wars its very strongly based on WWII era dogfights which simply do not occur anymore, and most likey wouldn't in an era where there were starfighters either. As such, the extension seems perfectly reasonable to me

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok sure but TFA showed the official version of events, and it correctly shows stagnant tech development. Bad authors will try and extrapolate tech change in SW based on tech change since WWII here, without realising a) it's fantasy, not sci-fi and b) they're at a peak tech setting, as KOTOR/SWTOR showed us. Tech is literally background, not foreground here (like it is in Trek). And TFA's battles were still WWII style dog fights. Having things that mirror Predator drones and stealth technology is shoehorning stuff in that doesn't belong.

And, it was done because the author was lazy and not especially talented and couldn't think of a creative way around the problem in, Dork Nest I think it was, where they had to fly their invisible fighters past some sort of giant spotlight which Jacen then shut off with the Force. That's entirely, right there, why the EU needed to die. But, another discussion.

I would never let my players near a Stealth-X if the RPG for some reason took a quality dive and did stats for it. If you want to get close to a target, guys, you'll have to think of a creative plan or just wing it and hope for the best.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  21. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I've been having great fun with my friends with the Star Wars FFG RPG system in the last 10 months or so.
    Or old D&D DM, now a player in my campaing, is in love with the Star Wars dices.
    Too bad we can't play as often as we would like too!

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Man, I hope that seventh wave of Armada is on track for delivery by EOY. I've been dying to get my hands on the Profundity, plus I've been playing Rebellion so much that I am ready to switch back to Armada.

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I need to order the new wave of Armada. I preordered the new wave of X-Wing, but not Armada yet for once. Spent too much money on 40K at the moment, and going to be spending more soon :(

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Are you gonna get one of each? I don't really see the need to get two of the Chimera, but I am kinda tempted to get a pair of MC75's. I need to play soon with the Hammerheads and light carrier, as I'm not sure if I want more of them for game purposes (though the collector in my loves more ships, lol).

--Adm. Nick