main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 4.01-4.02 - Heroes of Mandalore - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 15, 2017.

1. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I really enjoyed the episode. I wanted Mandalorians and I wanted Sabine, got plenty of both.

I know the episodes weren't perfect but if there's one thing I think it did a good job on, it was showing us the general state of Mandalore during the OT and bringing Sabine's backstory in full light when not long ago we knew so little. In my eyes, the episodes were successful for that.

La Calavera likes this.
  2. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I can understand that, I mean, that’s how I feel about ROTJ when people criticize it
    As for the Sabine story, I think they could’ve done a lot better without Bo-Katan, but I may have ranted enough about this subject anyway. :p

MandoArtist likes this.
  3. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    ROTJ was the second-best SW movie after ESB, IMO.

4. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    But what other materials would it need to target? Not many groups/organizations besides stormtroopers and Mandalorians wear a consistent type of armor. Maybe some crime syndicates use armor made of the same material. But in that case, she should have mentioned what exactly she wanted the weapon to be used for.

I get that this was Sabine's arc. Doesn't mean I have to like her, or that this story was centered on her. And do you mind explaining in what ways Sabine has improved? The only "improvement" I can really see in her character is that she'll talk to her family now, when she wouldn't before (and even then, Kanan and Ezra had to work hard to persuade her to return to her family).

5. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    She made amends with her fellow people, she no longer has to feel like a disgrace or outcast. She learned leadership qualities and took the responsibility when previously she never even wanted to pick up the Darksaber. She learned when to use mercy when many times she wanted revenge and little else. She destroyed the weapon that was a great source of guilt for her and therefore cut a tie to the past.

And there's what you just said. Yeah, I'd say Sabine has developed a lot from what we saw of her in Season 1.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Don't get me started on "super jumps" by Jedi; because that's all I remember hearing from critics of the "Future of the Force" episode with Ahsoka. :rolleyes:

7. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    I've rewatched season 3 Sabine-centric episodes. There are details to point out that may help understand the whole Superweapon plot.

-The Empire did not have total control of Mandalorian clans even after occupying Mandalore.
    -Sabine's weapon was very important in their conquest for domination
    -Sabine stressed that her family abandoned her, while also acknowledging that they will see her as a traitor. Though she feels she is not a traitor in actuality.
    -When talking with Ursa, she says The Empire "made her" do something regarding the weapon. She also didn't think The Empire would use the weapon against Mandalore.
    -Ursa believes Sabine is selfish, and suspects she willingly worked with the Empire regarding the weapon.
    -Saxon only came into power AFTER the construction of The Duchess and its use on The Mandalorians.
    -Other ruling clans see Sabine as a traitor and have the power to destroy Clan Wren. Clan Wren sided with The Empire to gain some status to protect itself, but had to give Tristan up to the Supercommando programme and Alrich was taken captive.
    -Sabine believes Ursa cares more about politics than her family. Ursa tells her that family is everything she considers.
    -The Empire still need Sabine to finish her work.

With these details, it helps me form together an analysis or theory on this plot:

Sabine is an enthusiastic and competitive cadet serving The Empire, clearly not on her family's behalf ("So selfish"). She constructs a deadly weapon capable of destroying specific matter, likely with the idea that it'll help with Mandalore's future. The Empire challenge her or make her programme it to target Beskar ("After what they made me do!"). They begin using it on The Mandalorians once she complies. Sabine speaks out against the actions ("I spoke out! I spoke out to save them!") but her reputation is already scolded by other clans ("...the other ruling clans from seeing you as a traitor"). Clan Wren is also disgraced ("We lost everything!"), and is vulnerable to other clans. Clan Wren does not stand by Sabine due to her Dar'manda reputation ("My family didn't stand with me...they left me"), forcing Sabine to destroy her work and flee Mandalore if she wants to escape The Empire or not be killed by the other clans ("Sabine, when you ran it saved you!").

Once the conquest is over, Saxon is made governor in service to The Empire, he presents the clans with a choice to serve or die. ("Mandalore was on its knees before the Emperor. After he put Saxon in power we were offered a choice..."). The clans all choose to serve for survival ("Everything I do is protect my family, Sabine!") despite all that The Empire did ("After what they did to our people? After what they made me do?"). Sabine is wanted by The Empire so she can finish developing her weapon ("You will finish what you started!").

Sabine is very against taking The Darksaber due to her knowing she has a disgraced reputation ("How can I lead my people? How can I go back and face them!?"). When she arrives on Krownest, The Wrens want to take her prisoner to be held on trial for her actions with The Empire ("Take her to a cell! She'll be held for trial").

The rest is straightforward. I personally think it fits quite well.

godisawesome likes this.
  8. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    After the Kanan/Hera moment in part 1, Chopper's line sounds like "Get a room!"

The tall Imperial facility in the middle of a plain reminded me a little of Ezra's tower from the start of season 1 - I think it may have been deliberate mirroring.

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Overall agreed, but I do notice that there seems to be some inconsistency as to how infamous Sabine and The Duchess are; none of the Protectors know who Sabine is, with even Rau himself still seeming to show no knowledge until Trials of the Darksaber, and there's some implication that The Duchess is only reactivated and confirmed to exist once Tiber takes over. This would imply to me that The Duchess may have been only a rumor among most of the Clans, with Sabine's disgrace coming from her officially deserting the Academy, and then her proclaiming that her reason was she invented a Mando-killing weapon used against her own family only made the situation worse. Gar Saxon's lines imply that his administration covered up The Duchess's existance, considering he only ever refers to Sabine's desertion as her disgrace, and he and his men's use of Beskar'gam armor, and may even imply he sought to kill Clan Wren to remove all witnesses of The Duchess's existence.

It also feels like there may be more chaos and separation between the clans. Clan Wren and Rau both imply there *is* comparative peace, but only just barely, with the Protectors being given autonomy and treated as hired guns and apparently functioning as defacto rivals to the ISC under Viceroy Gar Saxon, and a clear likelihood that Clan Wren could be wiped out by other clans with very little fuss. Heck, Clan Vizsla breaking out a new sigil and being reduced to common status is on itself a sign of deep fracture in the clans. Perhaps a good analogy using Game of Thrones (since they love using that) is that what was a clearly united political structure (The Iron Throne under the Baratheons/Mandalorian Government) was dissolved, and only a defacto hegemony exists after some infighting (Westeros after the Red Wedding), a recognized honor guard with no allegiance to any single faction (Protectors/Night's Watch), and enough remnants of older factions to cause serious issue (Starks/Bo-Katan), and a member of one faction seeing the light (Tyrion/Sabine).