main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource The Fanon Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FanonSock, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I prefer shorter chapters before long-ish one-shots. As seen by my fics :p

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Anedon I was thinking of using one of the planets in your Teris sector,* can you give me a bit more information about Darvin, Learan and/or Asterian so I can decide which one to use? Stuff like architecture, culture, technology, infrastructure and/or animal Life if you have any.

* http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-fanon-thread-updates-and-fanon-horror-challenge-announced-9-26-also-brief-poll-on-challenges.50024318/page-29#post-54135062

Alos, a suggestion for your post about the Teris sector, maybe you should have some kind of marker between the planets and when you begin talking about Religion

Anedon likes this.
  4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Thanks Gamiel
    I've now underlined the different topics to distinguish them from the planets.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  6. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Gamiel Oh not many actually. The Athenar are very concerned with keeping a planets eco system intact and as we see on our own planet brining in new species into the habitats of others can cause severe problems to the eco system.
    They are called Invasie Species and the Athenar are aware of this problem. So they usually use their technonlogy to adapt to the worlds they inhabit instead of changing the worlds to fit their needs.
    Also given that most of the original colonists in the Teris sector are influenced by the Athenar I guess most of them won't do it either.Though maybe some of the less spiritual colonists might have brought in some species from other planets.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, do you have any suggestions on stuff I should be thinking of when creating a planets in your Teris sector?

I was planing to use older Swedish culture with Viking culture as inspiration for the culture with Scandinavia as inspiration for the enviorment.

8. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Hm, one thing that you should keep in mind is the naming theme in the Teris sector.
    Where I kinda went with Celtic/old English like for example Gaven. And for the culture as well.

Though in general I would say, the Terians are mostly humans, realtive egalitarian(though they hate slaver races like the Hutts), spiritual, pragmatic, Athenar influence, independent, a place where criminals and dark Jedi might flee to. Guess these are the central themes of the sector.
    As for the geography I would say that varies from world to world. There are certainly some places that look like scanfinavia but you have a wide variety of different climates.

Also if you want you can send me your ideas and I give you my thoughts on them.

Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, Anedon have you created any kind of universities/similar on Serian?

10. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Hm I guess there could a university there of some sorts but if so it would probably most frequented by the people of Serian itself and only a handfull other Terians.

Gamiel likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It seems my original idea don't want to be written, I have problem coming up with how the characters meet the horror :(

Do people have any suggestions on how to use your fanon in a horror story. I have some ideas for mine if people are interested?

Findswoman likes this.
  12. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Most of the horror I apply with my fanon elements are psychological in nature (sometimes with a dose of physical horror to go along with it).

On another note, I've added another mini-entry to Abnormal/Forbidden Force Arts and Anomalies - The Dangers of Force Hallucinations.

Gamiel, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My horror just made people laugh, so I'm the wrong person to ask.

14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I used my fanon in a horror story that I finally posted the last chapter of and it creeped people out, so I guess I did it right. [face_skull]

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  16. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    So, you want people to use these? Like, badly? Then why don't you just say so? :p ;) Search your feelings, you will know it's true...

Findswoman likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Well, I was more thinking that we have only seen two people here sayin that they have something (and Sith-I-5 have posted it) and at least I have a bit hard to come up with ideas how to use others fanon for horror or if something fits for horror, so I was thinking to point out the stuff in my fanon that might be of easy use.

Now if people use my fanon, it will be great but it will be just as good if it just inspire one of us how to use somebody else's fanon for this challenge.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Gamiel - I was literally in the process of alerting you, when your alert to me popped up!

What was your original horror idea, that isn't working for you?

Findswoman likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My original idea was to have a group of scientists/investigators/archaeologist on a Teris sector planet finding out about a taboo area and wanting to excavate/studdy it and then they find out that there was a really good reason to why it was taboo. My problem was to introduce the characters and why they was going to that place instead of working excavate/study someplace else. I have come up with a new version of the idea that I hope will be easier to write involve changing the planet, the horror and how to introduce the horror but we will see if I'm able to write it down.

Findswoman likes this.
  20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, my idea was to have the characters inside the horror, at the start of the story.

You could have the scientists onsite, read heiroglyphics or carvings, trigger heavy stone doors or other anti-intrusion devices.

Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  21. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Gamiel I don´t know if you are still intrested in having your story take place in the Teris sector, but if you do I could give you a few suggestions if you want.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think I wanted too much with my original story idea. I wanted to make a reverse version of that kind "strange and sinister land" that the Orient or Africa is presented as in some old pulp horror/mystery stories by having the natives and their land being based on Sweden (“the pale skinned and ice eyed natives was doing strange rituals at the outskirt of the town, to hunting pipe- and fiddle-music”) but the way I was planning the planet and the expedition I just could not get it to fit, nor why the characters would not already have gone to the taboo area, neither could I get a good reason to why the heroes/victims would go to where the horror was. My new idea fixes some of those problem and probably slim it down.

Yes please :)

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Does Sweden have any trolls?

Did your planet based on the country, have any large, semi-sentient, bipeds?

24. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Gamiel
    Well in terms of horror I think there are plenty of things that could be found in the Teris sector. First of is that the sector has always been a place where criminals, dark Jedi and even Sith went to hide so there is a rather strong presence of the darkside in some places. Especially on Learan where for a brief time a Sith academy existed until it was whiped out. The Phaeron is a rather sinsiter place as well though I´ve already explored it in one of my stories.
    But its entirely possible that there would be other place in the sector where the dark side is strong, for example the captial city on Asterian has been ruled over by darksiders several times and it the city itself has been razed to the ground and rebuild more than once. Today its pretty much a tainted place, where the darkside lurks in every corner and the people are harsh and dsimissive of everyone, think of Derry from Stephen Kings IT in terms of how bleak and dark it is. Not to mention that it is surrounded by endless forrests and swamps filled with an unnatural fog that rarely seems to go away.

Also to note is that before the humans came to the Teris sector the Athenar ruled over the sector in what was essentialy their "age of silver"(I´m actually working on an Athenar timeline at the moment) after beging driven there by the Rakata. So there might be still some great ruins/relics left. Also these ancient Athenar weren´t so disciplined and aware of the darkside as they are today so the explorers could come across the remnatns or product of some very dark experiments/rituals the Athenar held in these days. And there are still some Athenar left in the sector, small outposts watching over some of the ruins to prevent scavengers from going there.

Sith-I-5 and Gamiel like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Did I remember right that Athenar architecture was art nouveau-like? My new idea involves ruins and things hidden beneath them