main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit William Shakespeare's Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I went to see a live reading of some excerpts from The Force Doth Awaken at NYCC and it was just the greatest thing ever. Sean Kenin's BB-8 was especially amazing and hilarious.

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

It really was!! I'm glad someone asked him how he approached that, even though he still doesn't seem to sure other than hours of sitting on it and working on it ;)

I've been looking for pictures and/or videos of it other than the pics I took. Would you by any chance have any?

3. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Additional spoilers for the audiobook and story of The Force Doth Awaken:

I loved the short conversation with the FO character who was a former Imperial stormtrooper from ANH. I laughed with each back-and-forth comparison between "then" and "now."

The afterword by Ian Doescher was fascinating, especially the little tricks and nuances he included with Finn's and Poe's lines. I want to find a translation key for BB-8's lines. During the story I'd been wondering if his language was scrambled "real" words or something coded since the words were different and more intricate than R2's "beep squeak whistle beep"s had been. Now I need to find the cipher thingy, darn it.

In the afterword he also said that this was the first time he'd translated for Chewie. I still go back and forth on whether I liked that.

All in all I really enjoyed this, just like I really enjoyed the OT Shakespeare audiobooks.

On to Rogue One! (....pleeeeeeeease?)

Revanfan1, Barriss_Coffee and SWpants like this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    For those who haven't read SW: From a Certain Point of View, Doescher's story in there is in the Shakespeare vein and has Palpatine as the main character. It's not bad.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I do! I'm not sure when I'll upload them, but I'll be sure to post some here when I do.

6. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Started this one. Not as into it as I thought I would be.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

7. BrendonWahlberg

BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2001
    BB-8's lines in The Force Doth Awaken are understandable if you simply write down each 8th letter of his lines. An example, with the 8th letters in bold caps, would be as follows: flit fllIblik bliCrooq bloOflir zooMblav bleE. So his line is "I come."

BobaMatt, AV-6R7, Gudenruben2 and 6 others like this.
  8. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Awesome, thanks for the info! I really want to translate his lines. Looks like I'll be getting a hardcopy of the book as well then...

9. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Wow. I never would have thought to try that.

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

THANK YOU!!!!

11. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Is there a trick like this for R2? I've been meaning to read these.

12. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    One is also planned for The Last Jedi https://jedi-bibliothek.de/datenbank/literatur/the-last-jedi-9781683690375/
    Personally I think these are silly. It was okay for A New Hope to try something out, but why do adaptations for all the Star Wars movies? Future generations are going to look back and say "WTF?", or god forbid, they'll get confused and think these are the originals. I'm talking about in the year 2150, by the way.

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think it just good practice for them to consider what perceptions will be in 2150 before the decide to publish every single Star Wars book.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Sith Iratus, Revanfan1, Sarge and 5 others like this.
  15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Shame they seem to have skipped "The One Rogue"

16. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    I've read a few of these. They are an interesting novelty and definitely different.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I was coming to check if they had announced the last Jedi version of this. I am glad they are going to make it. These books make reading Shakespear like language fun and enjoyable.

18. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I would go with "The Foremost Rogue."
    Do you feel that, after reading these, you might give Shakespeare another try?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Revanfan1 and Sarge like this.
  19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Primary Scoundrels

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Prime Knave

EDIT: Oh, I have another one: Blackadder's First

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  21. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I hate to break it to you guys, but Shakespeare would have likely titled "Rogue One" as just "Rogue One". Since it's not about a singular scoundrel but a callsign representing a group of people there's no need for the weird faux-Shakespearean-english embellishments.

EDIT: I'm really fun at parties. Particularly Star Wars parties.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I was down on the idea of them doing an adaptation for each one of these buy honestly part of the fun - if you can call it fun - of Shakespeare's histories is that taken together they're this massive multigenerational saga where you get to see characters develop and change in each installment in the same way you'd expect them to in, like, the MCU.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Reminder that Jedi the Last is out today (according to Amazon UK).

Sarge likes this.
  24. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    I very much agree with this line of thinking. In 2150, Star Wars will probably be gone (at least in the media eye) and will only be referenced in terms of history aka "1977-The first Star Wars movie was released". However, like someone digging up daugerotypes or vaudeville recordings, Star Wars will probably be re-discovered by some quirky neo-nerd. Even though its done by 2150, A LOT of Star Wars material will be available and with our luck, our friend will dig up something in the LEGO Star Wars vein which will taint his first experience with Star Wars. My first Star War memory was Luke in the wampa cave in good 'ole Empire Strikes Back, and it imprinted its awesomeness on me. If someone reads the Shakespheare Star Wars books, he may be tarnished and unable to truly enjoy the real thing.

Unrelated I think Star Wars will fizzle out in the 2070's and then will be resurrected AFTER 2150 as retro vintage.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yunzabit. Do you need coffee? I think you need coffee.

Stymi, Sarge, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.