main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info The Last Jedi - The Second Trailer [Warning: Video, Discussion and Pictures within]

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Oct 9, 2017.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    The theatrical trailer is here! :D

What are your thoughts? What did you like? What did you hate? What are your speculations?

Remember - this is the No Spoilers Allowed forum. No rumours or leaked information in here.

Jolee Bindo and CowMoo like this.
  2. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I am wickedly in awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCF-1138 and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  3. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    looks great. The trailer seems to suggest that I may have been correct with my intuition some time ago that:

- Ray may do battle with Luke

- Ray becomes closer with Kylo Ren

It could be misdirection, which was the case during the Force Awakens trailers, but I have a sense that I am not far outside the ballpark.

I do sense a more serious tone, a couple of Empire Strikes Back homages with the walkers.

The only distracting moment - the screeching of the bird, and Chewie's growl. For some odd reason, I found myself thinking that maybe the Millenium Falcon flew into a zoo or something.

4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Very Star Wars-y.

Felt spoilery. Hoping that what we've seen is just the tips of many icebergs.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Looks great. Keen for a big space battle, and Hamill's work in the trailer looked excellent.

Also, can I say that I actually really like the porgs?

jaqen, The Bops, Martoto77 and 3 others like this.
  6. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    First off...I still don't know what this movie is about, other than apparently picking up where we left off. The visuals are spectacular, and I can't really think of many shots that were repeated from the teaser trailer. I think this is all I want to know about this movie before December 14th.
    They're just about perfect as far as fictional birds go.

B3, TCF-1138 and Jolee Bindo like this.
  7. Jolee Bindo

Jan 5, 2016
    Also I love Luke's hand. Brilliant work on the CGI there.

I also find it interesting that apart from Binary Sunset at the end there, they mostly went for musical motifs from TFA rather than more iconic ones from the OT.

Dak Oolron, Tho Yor and TCF-1138 like this.
  8. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    Well...

That trailer has done a fair job at tempering my expectations, it seems. I didn't care for most of the dialogue used - all seemed a little cliché in the writing. Only Poe's line felt good to hear.

It's perhaps not possible/fair to do a direct comparison, but my initial thinking is that the TFA trailers did a better job of getting me all riled up and ready.

While generally not bad for spoilers, there is one moment where we see Leia that I'm sure everyone will know what I'm referring to, that feels a little too much. I know it's just a cliff-hanger glimpse they've given, but I'd have preferred not to have seen that cliff-hanger until the movie.

Don't go thinking I'm not excited though - I've just booked my TFA/TLJ IMAX 3D double-bill =P~

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  9. woj101

Feb 19, 2000
    So...

The people who argued after TFA that Finn was a lead character in this saga... this trailer suggests not (as I'd assumed myself after TFA), and instead reinforces the idea that Rey and Ben are the main characters. Rey is looking for guidance, but Luke won't give it to her...(?), out of fear of what happened to Ben. Ben meanwhile, is advancing the cause of the First Order before perhaps having some sort of change of heart. Finn and Phasma hook up and make babies. Got it.

I'm guessing the 'something truly special' that Snoke saw was the combined power of Rey and Ben if he could master them both... even if he didn't know who Rey was back then.

10. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    "It does now."

Perfect. Absolutely perfect. It feels like that's the only part of the trailer I can think about.
    Also - how's this for misdirection: what if Luke is speaking to Ben and Snoke is speaking to Rey in the trailer?

jaqen, BigAl6ft6 and Dak Oolron like this.
  11. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I sense the misdirection is strong with this trailer. That being said, it looks so awesome. Surprised to see Snoke interact with Rey, but also surprised by the absence of some characters. I saw no sign of Holdo, Rose, or Hux.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Indeed. And I was really surprised we got more of Poe than Finn in the trailer. Didn't see that coming.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm wondering what that location is in the opening shot? Looks like Rey is looking out on.........some kind of shipyard platform?? :confused:

It actually kind of reminds me of the shipyard in ROTS where Obi-Wan says goodbye to Anakin before heading to Utapau....

Darth Dnej likes this.
  14. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    The shot of Kylo leading the 1st Order Storm Troopers into the Crystal Cave is a nice homage to AnaVader leading the Clone Troopers into the Jedi Temple during Order 66.

Dak Oolron, jaqen, Alienware and 3 others like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Kylo being crazier and more conflicted in TLJ than in TFA (which is quite saying something) is very probable because, as mentioned, this kicks off the second that TFA ends so Kylo is literally still healing (he wears the cool black space bandage earlier on in the film as you can surmise since we see him without it later and in all the merch it's sans space bandage) and obviously killing his own father caused a ... situation. In his brain. To be all crazy like. (see. TFA: "We're not done yet." line delivery as he was completely off his freakin rocker by that point. Moreso!) So basically his crazy conflict is probably going to worsen and we'll see how Kylo Ren grieves for killing his father which probably involves a whole lot of murdering Resistance folk. Personally, I would hope for Kylo tapdances with the light and redemption but then goes full bore evil even more because unlimited powah.

I also support the notion that the Kylo reaching out to Rey bit at the end is utter base trailer editing trickery. Which I'm totally okay with! The outfits / Kylo lack of space bandage doesn't match. Basically, Rey is wearing her Resistance outfit when she says she needs someone to help her (which we can tell is from the beginning of the movie so she's probably talking to Luke) and Kylo reaching out to her he doesn't have the space bandage (which it seems he'll have at the start) so it's later in the film. And the backgrounds don't match. So it's just a trailer bit and I was miffed if the trailer gave away such a big moment but the shot continuity doesn't match. HOWEVER, that being said, it doesn't take away the notion that at some point in the narrative, Kylo does reach out to ... help someone. Probably a hero. Maybe even Rey. And there's fire in the background. So stuff has been going down. Third act hand reach, definitely.

I still think Leia could be killed off way at the start by Kylo. Poe is emotionally chattering about how they are the spark that will ignite the flame that could burn down the first order, so he's definitely trying to motivate them after a big loss. Which could be Kylo blowing up Leia. And, to go back to outfit detective game, we haven't seen a lot of Leia footage or different outfits. There's the grey one and the brown one. That's about it. Maybe two costume changes from brown outfit to grey outfit and then Kylo blows her up. Maybe.

Calling we're getting closure on Finn v Phasma: Dawn of Justice in this movie at least. I don't think they're going to have an epic confrontation complete with sparks flying everywhere if it's just going to end on a wash to be continued in Episode IX.

Also note Finn is wielding TR-8R's Holy Riot Baton so maybe he gets to holler "TRAITOR!" on her as a switch. (and he'd be right too!)

Sarge likes this.
  16. Jolee Bindo

Jan 5, 2016
    I also noticed Rey's dive into the pool - callback to Obi-Wan on Utapau when Order 66 begins?

17. woj101

Feb 19, 2000
    I can't help but think that Luke's line "This is not going to go... the way you think" is almost being used in the trailer to break the fourth wall and signpost the misdirection. But then I get confused, because the plot as hinted in the trailer seems kind of logical, so if it's not going to go like that, how on earth is it going to go?

Certainly an excellent way to create uncertainty and anticipation.

18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

That would be funny if when we finally see TLJ, we find that Luke's "way you think" line was just some random passing line in a dialogue for that one scene, and doesn't bear any significance to the story at all...:p

Dak Oolron likes this.
  19. woj101

Feb 19, 2000
    I've been thinking the same ever since Luke's line in the first teaser - "It's time for the Jedi.... to end" - expecting something else to either precede or follow it in such a way to as to completely change the sentiment. I almost want to rip Mace Windu's "This party..." from his "This party's over" line in AOTC and tack it on to the end of Luke's line.

20. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Was a legit trailer. :)