main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The ice creature does look more vulpine than lupine to me.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I can also see why people call it lynx like:

Lynx

Fennec fox (the one with by far the shortest snout and longest ears:

Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Many of the Central American countries use the term "gato de monte", or "forest cat" for the gray fox. In parts of Guatemala, many people think the fox is a type of cat. (Interestingly, they think otters are a relative of the dog.)

In the Andes, there was a more clear distinction between cats and foxes, in terms of language to distinguish them and the overall conception in the culture. This is because they had the Andean mountain cat, among other small feline species, that people as far back as the Moche were raising in captivity (there's a cool series of pots where the leader is riding in on his throne with a cat in his seat). So distinguishing between cats and foxes was more significant. In Central America there are all these cat-like creatures that cross the boundary between fox and cat, like the ringtails and kinkajou (mostly in the family of the raccoons), so they generally identify everything as a type of "cat".

(my dissertation was related to this topic and ethnobiology... sorry for the ramble...:p)

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They do sometimes fill the cat's ecological niche (night-hunting mouser)- especially in the case of the grey fox, which is the best climber in the canine family (it is also a very basal canine - no more closely related to regular foxes, than to, say, raccoon dogs, or wolves.)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
  6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Good eye!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm more interested in Finn's plot in this than Rey and Luke's only because the Finn/Rose plot seems to take them in really weird directions... like Han and Leia in ESB... they get eaten by a big space worm and end up on a gas giant manned by mini pigmen in overalls.

Actually I take it back; the Finn/Rose plot hasn't gotten that weird yet.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well we're getting tiny slugmen in tiny tuxedos manning gambling pits in one plot and tiny penguin things in another, so we're already on the fast track to weird.

Plus this dashing fella-
    [​IMG]

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I was going to say, from TFA at least, it wouldn't surprise me if the big twist in IX is based more on what the public consensus of a Star Wars expectation is, more than what the movies actually depict.

The Snoke Monster?

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, for sure. That's a very real possibility.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    TLJ has an official site as of this week: http://www.starwars.com/the-last-jedi/

Of note: "an epic adventure that unlocks age-old mysteries of the Force and shocking revelations of the past".

Random speculation here, and also trying to move away from the who's-related-to-who game: up until the last trailer I've been a little concerned they were going to walk all over Lucas's ideas of the Force and his reasoning behind light/dark with their own Disney-ified opinions, but it might be they're taking a page (ok well clearly they took half the script) from ESB. I think, and my hope is, that this movie explores Yoda's quote: "Control, control! You must learn control!" And I really don't think Luke ever properly learned that. I don't think he had time. He ran off before he allowed that message to sink in.

I've wondered if it was Yoda raising the X-wing that leads him to say "I’ve seen this raw strength only once before. It didn’t scare me enough then. It does now." We're meant to assume he's referring to Kylo screwing up the academy, or Vader, or Luke himself (either fighting Kylo or when he let loose on Vader in ROTJ, I guess). But Yoda's demonstration sort of freaked Luke out, although at the same time it reinforced his opinion of Yoda's power. But did he truly understand what Yoda was getting at during that defining moment? That he was demonstrating control, not incredible feats of power?

Again, I don't think so. Luke knew enough to control himself before cutting Vader down in ROTJ, but did he know at the time that was his defining moment becoming a true Jedi? Did he know that's what being a Jedi is about? The Old Republic Jedi clearly didn't before the end, even if they meant well. It's not enough to have good intentions; it's the control of one's own emotions that defines the Jedi as opposed to the Sith, who would rather control the Force and, from there, other individuals.

Luke's problem right now might very well be that he's confused the defining principle of being a Jedi with that of a Sith.

12. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Still, when Yoda talks about control it was about controlling your emotions so you won’t break concentration or make something stupid like trying to save your friends. Controlling your “(physical) raw power” it’s more in the lines of superhero movies or that kid from Looper, but such an approach to the Force was never part of the Star Wars narrative. Because you still need to learn, to train, to have faith, and have a will to be able to actively use it, it’s not just a glorified superpower that randomly activates by itself without the user knowing what he is doing. Jedi Masters fear their apprentices would give in to their emotions and fall to the darskide, not that they have "raw power". That sounds like X-men.

Also, I don't think Luke was "freaked out" by Yoda. On contrary, Luke's character development was about him winning by inspiring others with his bravery and his idealism. This is a guy who tossed away his saber and refused to fight the Emperor, who refused to give in to fear, and won because of that. The man in the TLJ trailer is not the same Jedi he was in ROTJ. I know a Jedi Order destruction reboot happened, but still, it’s not like Obi-Wan had a complete personality swap after Order 66. I do hope the trailer is just a bunch of misleading scenes and we see the Luke we know in the movie as Rian keeps promising in interviews though.

Abadacus, Jedi Ben and Gamiel like this.
  13. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    So, according to a Star wars quiz on the website of the fruit company Dole
    Fin hails from Artorias. Like Finn Galfridian in Legends. Probably just a mistake by whoever wrote the quiz and doesn't know the difference between canon and Legends.

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I think you're probably right, and it's just a mistake.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Since the question is honestly pretty irrelevant, it's possible someone official could have done that as an intentional easter egg. But given the source, I doubt it.

16. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Mind you, nothing actually prevents it from being an intentional tongue-in-cheek Easter Egg. But yeah, given the source, I was the first to doubt it.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    For what is it worth, the world is located right in area that is most likely under FO control or adjacent to their holdings in the Unknown Regions. K3 on the Atlas map...

--Adm. Nick

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Hey, if they end up making it a tongue-in-cheek Easter Egg, maybe the "family I'll never know" Finn was taken from was...a royal family?

19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Sigh. How could they confuse that name? Did they even watch TFA? FN's name isn't even Finn!

Sorry to drag you into this thread if you're avoiding spoilers AncientWhills, but I got something to say about this:
    DJ means "Don't Join" -- so literally everything in that interview is a play on words. Also an interesting case of when an author really *does* know details of a movie plot months in advance. Often they're not allowed to go this far in an interview at this stage. Especially on SW.com of all places.

20. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Wow, a huge SPOILER
    [​IMG]

MrDarth0, Jedi Ben and Dawud786 like this.
  21. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Eh, I'd assume that's just for aesthetics.

22. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I dont know. They've been pretty shy of depicting Old Luke with a
    lightsaber
    at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

23. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Oh, I thought he was just talking about the fact that the blade appears to be blue.

24. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Rey and Luke fighting the First Oder with 1 saber, throwing it back and forth to each other when needed.

25. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Like Pintel, Ragetti and Elizabeth Swann against Davy Jones's crew in Pirates 2? ;)