main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 2017 Fanfic Resolutions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Dec 27, 2016.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Since I have just begun to attempt writing Star Wars fan fiction, I refuse to expect too much of myself to begin with. But I do want to:
    1. Get enough work done on Serenity (my planet) that I can use it.
    2. Write and post some of the fic that demanded the invention of Serenity.

2. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I decided to take some thought of my resolutions for 2017 and decided:

- Read a book a month. (i need to start on the new canon, but as well read other books), may start on Sklar's book Dream It! Do It!
    - Write a paragraph a day. (not very good at making resolutions like write a book. If at the end of 2017 translate in a book, then yay for me. If not well there is lot of stuff I want to write aside from a book, like fanfiction and online PBP, alternate earth history :p )
    - And achieve the goal of completing a nanowrimon, but i need to start writing a sort of timeline of the story later then September or October. If I wing it, i will be hit by writers block.
    - Start playing more games (Console, PC and Tabletop RPG), it something I very much enjoyed, but stopped for whatever reason. I intent to correct that...
    - Take more minimalist approach to my life and my belongings. I have way too much stuff that I don't use, and some of them are dust collectors. :p
    - Be a kid again and enjoy life as it is and stop complicating things.

I think that is for this year.

JediMaster_Jen and Kahara like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    So far, I failed so badly. Sure, it was a consequence of having been medicated with an extreme tranquilizer that killed my creativity and could've probably killed me had I continued to take it, but still...this feels...carppy.

I still owe Kahara her prize fic from...last year.

I still owe leiamoody the rest of her holiday fanfic exchange story - OK, that one was on hiatus because, yeah.

I still owe a cover to leiamoody.

I still owe a book to Findswoman, but I made the cover, at least.

I still owe a book to JadeLotus, but she's MIA and she never sent me the files, so I have no control over this, I guess.

I owe MandrinaQ this year's prize. I told her that I was in a bad state both physically and mentally back in May, but I think that I will be able to do this soon. Plus, it's about Leia! <3

I owe Mistress_Renata this year's prize. That one could have been the easiest to get done, but I was out of humour for months. DONE!

EDIT: Apparently, I owe a prize fic to Raissa Baiard, too.

So, let's see...

- The Before story that I crossed out and requested for it to be removed from the index is just.not.happening, it seems. :/

- The Before story that's two stories is going reasonably well. I am aware that it was supposed to be done on the same day as the 2016 DDC, for the big reveal to take place...but yeah. Whatever. 3-4 chapters to go.

- The conceptual story with Anjie at his worst is finished. I just forgot to post the epilogue. O_O - DONE!

- The current DDC is finished, I just have a hard time with schedules.

- The second Ewoks epic has a couple of chapters written ahead, but I believe that I did not touch it in 2017.

- The other epic? Well, same.

- The Sequel Trilogy story? I actually wrote something this year, but nothing since March.

- The far future story? Ditto.

- The drabble challenge thread? Aborted halfway.

- The other drabble thread? Aborted when I entered the drabble competition, but wow...seems like I have something for it that I never posted.

The 2017 challenges and those remaining from the past?

- Movie Quote Challenge - have had the idea for about a year, never wrote it.

- The non-competitive Elderly Love challenge in the OTP thread - planning to incorporate it in the epilogue of one of the mid-length stories

- Fanon challenge 2 - see the bit about the Before story I crossed out.

- Fanon challenges 3-5 ...just can't see this happening :( I can see #5 happening, even if that happens after the deadline.

- The current OTP challenge - ACTUALLY WRITING IT. GOOOOO ME.

- Memorable Memories Roulette - ruminating on this. Will combine it with fanon challenge #5

- Sea Shanty/Ballad challenge - have the idea, need to develop an OC. - DONE!

- Current OC challenge - pretty hard, but tempting.

- Previous OC challenge - unless it can be combined with something, not happening.

#FAIL

Findswoman likes this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Heh. You shouldn't have brought this up, Ewok Poet, because my own goals... let's see:
    Nope. I started a few new ones instead.
    Nope. Again, I took on a few new ones, and it looks like I'll be writing the new ones first – although that may not be in 2017 either.
    This I've mostly managed to do, with some rather long hiatuses.
    Done (I think). I may need to go back and check though.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Chyntuck - I think both you and I have a habit of starting things and then finishing them...sporadically, when the inspiration strikes. :p

6. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    1. Get to the halfway point of "Ballad of the Winter Rose" which will have the long awaited wedding of Minerva Hektor to Grand Admiral Thrawn.

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Did you really have to bump this? :p I was hoping to hide my epic fails for another 2 months.

BookExogorth and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes, I did. To share my epic fails. Now you have to share yours, because we say so. :p

9. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    So, how did I do?

1. I got some stuff done, but not a heck of a lot. Worldbuilding is hard.
    2. Nope.

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, is there anybody who didn't fail at all, or is 2017 in fanfics like 2016 in celeb deaths? :p

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey, there's still two months to go. Not that my muse is being cooperative. But at least I got 2 of my 4 resolutions done. I actually started the other two, but the muse had other plans.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Maybe I didn't get the things done that I wanted to, but I wouldn't consider myself to have failed. Because I did write and post something.

My fanfic goals for 2018:

1. Finish 2017 drabble challenge
    2. Write story for Movie Quote Challenge
    EDIT: 3. Attempt to organize waiting plot bunnies

I refuse to expect more of myself. If I get those done, anything else is gravy.

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    BTW, we will do a proper 2018/"how badly did you do in 2017" thread closer to new years.

14. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Oh wow, I'd forgotten I actually made resolutions this year. Wow. This should be fun. :p

I actually did this!!!!!!!!!!!! [face_dancing]

Oh dear.

It's a work in progress -- which is to say that it is a thing that could someday progress, if I would work on it. Whoops.

Well, you never know. It could happen before January. Maybe.

15. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Heh, not really. I normally write only one thing at a time from start to finish, then I move on to the next one, but between rotten 2016 and a dormant muse in 2017 I kind of broke my pattern on these boards. But now I'm mostly on track with my current stories and I half-wrote a few one-shots, so there's progress. As long as I don't start another epic things should be fine (edit: in 2018, of course).

Nehru_Amidala and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I'm the same barely touch writing. Curse you... netflix... so many good shows. I do hope that nanowrimon, next month gets me started again.

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Didn't even think about that! I failed miserably in 2014 and never tried again...could be just what the doctor ordered.

[face_whistling]

18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    While we're at it, here are my own:

Well... this did not happen and isn't likely to, given that not much time is left in this year. Some other projects got started instead. I'll probably add this to next year's list again, just to make sure it stays on the radar.

Did this. One is running right now, as a matter of fact. :)

Ah, now, there's still time for this one! Paging Ewok Poet —let's get this off the ground! :D

I'm all for keeping the bar low on these things and just aiming for two, maybe three, basic things over the course of a year. This is supposed to be a fun hobby, after all! :D

Raissa Baiard and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Findswoman ....I'm up for it, leeeeeeeeeeeet's do it. =D=

Findswoman likes this.
  20. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I also never thought about until my brother asked if was going to do the "nanorhino" (his words not mine), this year. Basically I'm scrambling for ideas for stories, that fit of simply wing it and not complicate things. The idea i have sort of a female Blade Runner and her veteran Blade Runner, but instead hunting replicants, they hunt force users or simply a cop story. But the idea is exploring the distopian world that Coruscant is in the lower levels.

21. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'd forgotten I'd made a resolution, but apparently I did. To finish at least one fanfic.

DONE!!!

But I did deliberately set the bar low. Too early to make them for 2018.

Nanowrimo... I keep wanting to try it!

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    By now, LAJ_FETT would usually start a thread about it...?! And that person with the Rebel tattoo who never posts in any other thread would be the first to reply. :p

Findswoman likes this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not actually doing it this year - I've had a rough one, plus I had a nasty cold and cough from mid-September that didn't really clear up til mid October. I think somewhere in that my muse got on the first plane out. I can start the thread if you like but it might be better if someone who is doing it did.

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    If you give me instructions on how to run it, I'll gladly keep a tally, whether I'm doing it myself or not. :) @};- I can put it up before midnight in our timezones.

Like of sympathy for you. Sorry to hear about the rough year. Same here, but the muse shall be forced to cooperate!

Findswoman likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Normally in the first post I give a brief explanation of what NaNo is, along with a link to the website and how it works.. I ask who's doing it this year and keep a list of participants and their word count. as the month goes along. When people get past the 50K I generally turn their count purple to highlight that they won. Also for those in the list if they put their NaNo user id up I add that to the list. So it ends up being something like

LAJ_FETT - nano id lajfett - word count.xxxxx.

I put the list in the first post as well.