main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    What is this creature?

[​IMG]

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    An "illuminated being" according to Yoda's statement in ESB.

(Sorry for the pun, couldn't resist)

Other than that I really have no idea, saw this somewhere with a comment that they were trying to use that for a VFX effect and creature that ultimately didn't make it into the film.
    I'm rather wondering what Threepio is doing behind that creature, it almost looks like a walking torch illuminating the dark passageways in Jabba's Castle.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  3. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    I don't know what the creature is, so I just guess: maybe he was never intended to be a creature, but just a technician to give proper diffused lighting and reflection for shooting C3PO in a such dark set.

4. Kivine

Kivine Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2017
    In ROTJ there is a deleted scene of Luke while he's hiding from Vader throwing his lightsaber to him which is why in this scene, he's holding an unlit lightsaber in his other hand. 3:09

Is there a video of it somewhere?

5. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    None that I'm aware of, we discussed the issue in the thread wondering if Luke made himself somehow invisible.

6. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    After 37 years, it just occurred to me; why doesn't Luke contact Han & Leia and make sure they made it off Hoth alright, while departing for Dagobah. And for that matter, to let them know he won't be at the rendezvous and not to worry about him.

Also, didn't anyone know there was a large asteroid field near Hoth?

;)

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think they knew - hence checking out meteorites that had been ejected from the asteroid field (or in this case, what turned out to be a probe droid).

Han just didn't realise they'd reached it, while he was trying to repair the Falcon - hence him getting caught by surprise when one hit it.

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Maybe Luke just assumed they'd all made it with the fleet. Luke saw them depart in the MF, and was then distracted for a long time with his training with Yoda.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  9. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I guess the only one worrying about Luke would have been Wedge who thought he'd see him at the rendezvous point. In the deleted scenes, that almost made it into the film, Luke told Leia in Hoth's medical center that he wanted to go to the Dagobah system (not far) which she didn't like along the lines "First Han, now you".

So Leia had a good idea about Luke's whereabouts. Strange that Vader didn't ask either of them about Luke's whereabouts.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "They never even asked me any questions".

Presumably, Vader was having both of them hurt, because he knew Luke wouldn't tolerate that for long - thus, instead of having to find Luke, Luke would come to him.

11. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Yes, that was the point of the torture, yet, it's still strange that Vader had no interest to learn what Luke had been doing in the meantime.

12. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    Probably he does already know Luke is going through some kind of intense training in the Force, because it alters the Force enough for Palpatine feeling it, while apparently Luke's use of the Force in the battle of Yavin was enough light to be felt just by Vader who was right behind him. Now, if Palpatine felt Luke's changing in the Force, that should be more obvious for Vader who is obsessed with his son's whereabouts. Plus, at some point, he probably felt Luke's nearing Bespin, so it would be really pointless to waste time with questioning, while he had to prepare the "welcome" for Luke, such as checking if there's a way to block him and then testing the machinery on expendable someone, choosing what to do with Leia whether she could be an useful tool on the Executor to blackmail Luke, etc... If Vader's plan went well, then he would have all the time to question straightly Luke. So, in Vader's bigger picture, questioning Han and Leia about that looks probably secondary at Bespin.

13. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I discovered a great source with plenty of OT BTS images today, among these (from a video?) a table with genuine masks / heads from the Mos Eisley Cantina and among these the head of an Ugnaught.

AFAIK the Ugnaughts were a unique new design for ESB and what I apparently mistook for an Ugnaught is actually a "wild hog". Although I thus far didn't spot it in ANH, it noticably sticks out from the 'real' Ugnaughts:

[​IMG]

(Second from the right is noticably different from the 'real' Ugnaughts)

[​IMG]

(Ugnaught to the right, 'Wild Hog' to the left)

Has this other species next to the Ugnaughts ever been identified?

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Those are all 'real' Ugnaughts, including your 'wild hog'.

15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Alexrd

Although the same reptilian head was used for the reptilians in the Mos Eisley Cantina ("Saurins") and for the bounty hunter Bossk ("Trandoshan") someone concluded they must belong to two different species because of different body heights.

[​IMG]

(interesting, pygmies do belong to the human species and originate from the same planet, despite their different body height...:rolleyes:)

Here we have two noticably different porci species heads, but because they have a similar body height they belong to the same species?

8-}

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Body height hardly justifies make it a different species. Two humans rarely share the same height.

Still, in this case they are all Ugnaughts. The one with more porcine features has been used as a basis for Ugnaughts in various other works for years, more recently The Clone Wars:

[​IMG]

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not just the different heights - the extra fingers. Bossk has less digits on his hands, than the Mos Eisley reptilian does.

Legends kept them as related but different. Like Neimoidians and Duros, in that respect. Saurins are basically "near-Trandoshans" in the same way as Neimoidans are "near-Duros" and many others, are "near-Humans".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Saurin/Legends

18. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Alexrd

[​IMG]

Comparing a Neanderthal with a Cro-Magnon still reveals both to be humans with slightly different features.

In the case of Ugnaughts compared to 'Wild Hogs' it's clearly noticable that the Ugnaughts do not have protruding noses and fangs, we are looking at two distinct species.

[​IMG]

Apparently the TCW producers didn't want to acknowledge two species and came up and out with a cross-breed.

Iron_lord

It's obvious you haven't heard the inofficial story:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:p

Other than that check out the other 'Saurin's right arm, looks rather 'Trandoshan long' to me and is covered by a glove.

[​IMG]

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Compare male elephants with female elephants. In Indian elephants in particular, the males have visible tusks, and the females don't.

Or wild boar- male tusks are often more visible than female ones.

The noses on the above image - vary - even the non-tusked Ugnaughts, have noses that vary in level of protrusion. The guy in the grey coat, on the far left, clearly has some "pig snout" in the mask design.

I think it's safe to say that the TESB scripts, don't mention there being multiple species present in the "Ugnaught scenes". So, it makes sense that, rather than there being multiple species, there's just one, with very varied (but always slightly porcine) appearance.

Rebels shows us more Ugnaughts - which seem to be a compromise - they have porcine nose and tusks,

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Terba
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Melch

but the nose doesn't project as far as in the above movie "tusked Ugnaught" image.

20. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Iron_lord wrote

Compare male elephants with female elephants. In Indian elephants in particular, the males have visible tusks, and the females don't.

[​IMG]

So you are suggesting we are looking at three female Ugnaughts and one male? Now, I realize that the female on the right is then probably carrying a handbag I had always assumed to be a toolbag (and she seems to be mad at the male: Why are you so giddy with excitement, wait til we get to our apartment!).

Looks like here's the reason for the poor fella's excitement: https://www.pinterest.de/pin/159877855492704450/

:p

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Or it's a case of very old Ugnaughts growing tusks long enough to show.

If Trandoshans can look radically different from one another (compare Gha Nachkt and Seevor to "regular Trandoshans"):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gha_Nachkt
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Seevor

why can't Ugnaughts have plenty of variety too?

The hypothesis that female Ugnaughts tend not to have tusks - may be supported by this - a canonically female Ugnaught, that doesn't have them:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Korin_Pers

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So is it true that Tosche Station was named after Detective Dave Toschi of the Zodiac Killer case?

23. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Kylo Ren time travel pic.

24. Beard_Esquire

Beard_Esquire Jedi Padawan

Dec 29, 2015
    So back in 1983 a magazine that I cannot remember held a contest. The objective was to arrange various photos in order that they occurred in the film. Various prizes were awarded to those that correctly submitted their results. I think a poster was one of the prizes.

Does anyone remember this and what magazine held the contest? Would love to get it to add to my collection.

Thank you.

25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Moving to Question thread.