main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Forces of Destiny: New Animated Shorts Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Taalcon, Apr 12, 2017.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's not like the Freemakers Adventures are exactly canon, though. They're made of LEGOs. They remove their hair. They lampshade that they have no fingers. The stormtroopers buy the Emperor mugs for his birthday.

Daneira likes this.
  2. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

True, but the "general" setting is canon. Also, Lucasfilm wouldn't allow Hera to be in the Freemaker Adventures as a supporting character if she's going to die in Rebels.

I'm actually surprised that Hera seems genuinely happy in both FoD and LEGO FA. Granted, these are cartoons aimed at very young children, but I would assume that if Kanan dies (or Hera believes he died) in Rebels, she wouldn't be as jovial. But people do get over deaths of their loved ones and she may still be hurting inside. Or Kanan doesn't die and he's with the Rebellion the whole time and we just haven't seen him yet :p

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

It's reasonably plausible, given the way she issues orders on Echo Base. Even Rieekan appears to answer to her, on occasion. It might be the first time the term has been used though.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    W
    Will cooking them in their armor seal in the juiciness?? [face_devil]

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, they made everyone else a general, so why not?

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Just how many generals does that army need anyway? Too many cooks, if you ask me.

AV-6R7, MercenaryAce and DarthSienna like this.
  7. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

I'm not saying its not plausible, however I always preferred Leia to be a civilian leader of the Rebellion, similar to Mon Mothma, rather than just another high ranking military officer, albeit with royal blood.

After all, the Rebel Alliance wants to restore democracy and abolish Imperial tyranny, therefore it only makes sense that Rebel civilian leaders actually outrank military officers, like in our own real world democratic republics. The military answers to the civilian government, not the other way around. And we saw in Rogue One, that the Alliance actually has a standing civilian government that outranks the Alliance military. Its more realistic and also creates nice contrast with the Empire, which is pretty much run by the military.

This whole Leia being a general during ROTJ created by this FoD episode is in my opinion another reason why this show should be completely decanonised. I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason why they called Leia a general in this episode is to tie it up more closely to TFA.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    She's consistently shown going "In harm's way" in the comics and novels - as well as being shown to be a very good fighter. "Leia the soldier" rather than "Leia the politician" is what we tend to see - might as well give her some rank to go with it. She acts like Luke's commanding officer. And threatens to "bust him all the way back to moisture farming" once.

Jedi Knight Fett and Daneira like this.
  9. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
  10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Ugh, I didn't need to be reminded of how Marvel made new canon Leia such a jerk. [face_sigh] Not your fault though, it's new canon's.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Even in Legends, OT-era Leia could be pretty harsh when it came to Luke disobeying orders.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Whenever this criticism comes up, I'm prompted to wonder what people think Leia's reaction to Han and Luke disobeying orders should be. She's their commanding officer in a military unit, and was established as early as ANH as having little tolerance for fools. For the same princess who demanded that Han "get this walking carpet out of my way" in the Death Star, I'd say it's entirely in line with her character to dress them down as she feels necessary.

14. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    So, I guess this takes place sometime before TFA, it also has to take place before "Before the Awakening", because Rey doesn't have her goggles?

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I reviewed the morals of these episodes so far, and I'm definitely sensing a pattern...

Sands of Jakku & BB-Bandits = friendship is magic
    Ewok Escape = friendship is magic. And dresses.
    The Padawan Path = know your priorities
    Beasts of Echo Base = sometimes you think your friends are slacking but really they’ve been eaten
    The Imposter Inside = Arthurian knights eat with their hands
    The Stranger = friendship is magic
    Bounty of Trouble = friendship is magic
    Newest Recruit = friendship is magic
    Tracker Trouble = Unkar is an ***
    Teach You, I Will = teach you to be you, he will
    The Starfighter Stunt = the magic was inside you all along
    Accidental Allies = friendship is magic
    An Imperial Feast = sometimes you have to suck it up to your smarmy friends to get things done
    The Happabore Hazard = friendship is magic
    Crash Course = friendship is magic but it requires a sacrifice

Sarcasm aside, I do think it's cool that they're focusing on that as a theme. But intriguingly, that theme is used primarily with Rey, Sabine, Ketsu, and Jyn -- the LEAST social of the bunch. That's probably on purpose.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This is a life lesson I wish I'd learned a lot earlier.

17. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Crash Course was perhaps the most pointless one yet. Its the equivalent of watching characters get out of bed and drink their morning cup of coffee. Their was no reason for it to exist. It adds absolutely nothing to canon. Also unrelated: What the hell is wrong with Ketsu Onyo. She purposely crashes a speeder and jumps off it, and then also destroys Sabine's speeder. Is she drunk? Does she need to watch that Star Wars PSA on drunk driving made in the 70's

Also strange, after Onyo holds up the handlebars of the second speeder she destroyed, Sabine goes for her, but Hera puts her hand on her shoulder and says "Don't do something you'd later regret." Was Sabine going to punch Onyo. I certainly think so. I guess Sabine has a temper. We saw it in Trials of the Darksaber, but she quickly recovers. TBH, it would be better if she punched Onyo. It would make the short more interesting

18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Video is no longer available.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Heheh I actually didn't mind that one so much because the moral was relatable for kids (you need patience with your friends sometimes), but the way they went about it was awkward. It's exactly like those kids' books and shows where you've got a group of friends, like Sesame Street or something, and one person sucks at something, making life difficult for the rest of the gang. "Oh so-and-so likes to cook but their food sucks" or "so-and-so likes to play music but it's like nails on a chalkboard" or whatever. But Ketsu and Sabine are like, quasi-adults and delivering warplans. So the implications of "Ketsu can't drive" are... um... a little more of a serious matter... and I would argue for herself more than the vehicles...

Daneira and Yunzabit like this.
  20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I won't be reading too much about it. This show is clearly meant to slowly introduce kids to the wider SW universe. Yes, there is simplistic morality but I don't think kids care about that as much as older fans, they probably just want them to be enjoyable. Not everyone is ready to watch a 2 hour movie or even TCW and Rebels. Could they be slightly longer? Maybe.

21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Lesson for kids - It's OK to borrow your friends stuff, treat it carelessly and wreck it. Your friend will be expected to forgive you instantly.:oops:

22. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    It would have been better if she said imperials had shot it or something, but Ketsu here just looks like she's recklessly breaking something of Sabine's. Why borrow something if you don't know how to use it?
    I've never seen a Rebels episode, but I've been following FoD, and most of that show's characters' representations here are less than flattering.

23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I agree that compared to Rebels, Ketsu's portrayal in FOD is less reluctant.

24. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Also, is Maz Goldilocks?

25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Im pretty sure the implication is that Sabine is just happy that her friend is safe, even if her bike eas wrecked in the progress.

Vthuil and BookExogorth like this.