main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Ron Howard to Finish Han Solo film

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jun 22, 2017.

1. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Baron_Papanerd and Luke02 like this.
  2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Makes sense. Initially I thought he was only going to do two weeks of shooting but it seemed to go waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy longer than that.

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I believe the intention was for Howard to do some reshoots and complete production by early September, but that clearly got stretched by another month and a half.

6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If that's the case, and judging by how long production under his directorship went on I'm going to assume it is, then I'd fully expect him to be the sole credited director for the movie.

Corellian Blue likes this.
  8. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Being not at all a fan of Ron Howard's films, this doesn't increase my confidence in the film. I was hoping it might be more of a wacky hybrid of L&M and Howard's style, with Howard functioning more as a tweaker or a fixer. But it's looking like this is going to mostly look and feel like a Howard film. And that strikes fear (and boredom - perhaps fearful boredom) into my fragile heart.

my kind of scum likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It's a Howard film, based on the Kasdan script. It's unlikely Miller/Lord will get any credit.

10. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    They should've got taika waititi to direct Solo

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Something tells me that would've ended badly.

12. The Wagonmaster

The Wagonmaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2017

I remember people were speculating if this could be the first time in history three directors get credited on a troubled production (Directed by Ron Howard, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller) but that would've been WAY too awkward. It was probably that reason alone that Ron Howard made sure to reshoot 51 percent.

13. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Good. This makes me feel better. I just couldn't see how the movie would have good continuity, if Ron was only Shooting half the movie; and combined with Lord and Millers sensibilities. Besides, I think Ron Howard is a great Director. He has always been on my list to Direct a Star Wars movie. He will give his own perspective, while respecting the
    Source.

14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I think it is obvious from the amount of time it took to film he basically re filmed the whole thing. The Screen Rant article was a joke mostly just picking on Ron Howard. I am sure Ronny will hit a grand slam out of the park he is a great film maker. and then Screen Rant tried to say that Solo has stiff competition at the box office this summer and they think it will be a box Office flop:rolleyes: the Star Wars brand or Name sells itself I am sure it will put up similar numbers as Rogue One which would be fine with me!

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  15. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Ordinarily I'd be concerned, and it's something I've thought about, but hopefully my conclusions can give you some peace of mind.

First, when Lord & Miller were first brought on, I was mostly excited about what that tonally meant for the film, rather than visually. None of their live-action works feels particularly inspired in that respect, but that fear was assuaged pretty much entirely and replaced with enthusiasm when Bradford Young was brought on board. Considering he's still there, I'm still expecting the film to look gorgeous regardless of who's directing. However, returning to tone, that's one of the two main things it seems like Lord & Miller dropped the ball on, and I'd rather have a film that's tonally consistent than a tonal mess, even if it's different.

Second, the script is supposedly fantastic, and I personally feel Howard is the kind of director who's strictly as good as his script. Some directors are able to infuse even a poor or mediocre script with inspiration, which isn't a strength I feel he possesses. On the other hand, if you hand him a good script he's consistently able actualize its quality and bring it to the screen. This is less about him directing a Ron Howard movie, and more about shooting a Lawrence Kasdan script. That's the other main thing we heard besides the tonal issues, and if Howard was brought on board to do justice to that script and make sure its page-to-screen transition is authentic, I'm going to take that as a positive for the time being.

Third, a lot of Lord & Miller's weirdness was going to come through in the designs more than anything. All of those are retained, which is exciting since Jason/MSW described them (or at least the costumes) as being "really weird." Further retained are what I'm assuming would be the vast majority, if not the totality, of the CGI effects sequences. Lord & Miller have experience with that from directing Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and The LEGO Movie, so there very well be some genuine imagination and inspiration there, complimented by Howard-shot live action scenes in which the tone is consistent, the performances don't veer wildly all over the place, and the story flows properly without excessive improvisation taking the film off course.

So I'm thinking we're going to get that nice mixture after all, but it could also be a snooze fest. We'll find out in just under sixth months.

16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015

That is really disappointing and unfair given the fact that they did a great job and Ron had to "adjust" only 80% of it.

17. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017

They did such a "great job" they were fired....

Baron_Papanerd and Darth Smurf like this.
  18. Corellian Blue

Aug 21, 2017
  19. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Seems obvious he reshot most of the movie since he spent 3 months 1/2 shooting it (Lord and Miller shot during 4 months). And everything was already set up so it must have gone faster....my only question: Are the 20% left the rushes shot on location (fuertaventura island, italy, uk power station)? It seems they didn't go back there so maybe that's the footage from Lord and Miller that they will use? Very likey don't you think? Since exterior location scenes are for long shots that show the landscape it can be edited with close-ups re-done in studio.

Anyone know if they returned to these locations? i don't think so. Therefore these are what will remain of Lord and Miller's initial movie (but edited of course, locations scenes are always a mix of location/studio set, the tone will be easily fit to Ron Howard's vision)

20. Corellian Blue

Aug 21, 2017

Sounds like this is what probably happened, as we never saw RH post from any of those locations.

21. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    The more of the film R Howard was involved with, the better.
    If he did indeed end up re-shooting most of the movie, that definitely increases my confidence.

22. Dead Chiznuk

Dead Chiznuk Your Friendly Neighborhood Living-Impaired Mod star 1

Sep 28, 2016
    I'm not a fan of Howard but I also wasn't a fan of Abrams before TFA. We really need a trailer soon though just to get a feeling for the film.

PymParticles likes this.
  23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm hearing August 2017 as a likely release window.

24. Dead Chiznuk

Dead Chiznuk Your Friendly Neighborhood Living-Impaired Mod star 1

Sep 28, 2016
    I'm never gonna live that down am I? :p

PymParticles likes this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    You have the power to single-handedly allay my fears. Thank you, Sir.

Directing styles aside, I am a little concerned about the location-shooting being entirely canned and replaced with studio sets. All the post-production trickery in the world can’t match the authenticity of on-location footage.

Good call. The Chiz has never been wrong before, so August 2017 is a really solid bet.

PymParticles likes this.