main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Horizon Series: Zero Dawn (PS4) and Forbidden West (PS4/5)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JEDI-SOLO, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I can guarantee you that it'll be nominated for GOTY, and it wouldn't surprise me if it won. But from what I've heard, it looks like the latest Zelda game will take that title.

2. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    By tying them down with a rope caster you can override them. Same way I overrode a Stormbird.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I'm sure that the latest Zelda game is great by all the reviews it's been getting, but you can't tell me that it's as original as HZD is.

I've gotta try that.

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I totally agree with you there. It's the most original game I've seen in a very long time.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I find the Zelda / HZD comparisons quite intriguing as, for me, the two games are quite closely matched:
    • HZD has the more original world and creature design, but does have quite a few well-known game mechanism albeit in new form e.g. tallnecks as map towers
    • Zelda is a bit more freeform, in that you can climb any surface to a degree, but weather has an impact. You can customise a map -HZ D does this too, to a further degree by allowing a fully customisable HUD too.
    • Zelda goes for environmental effects a bit more than HZD, though HZD's combat system is built around both stealth/traps and elemental weaknesses.
    • Both also demonstrate their creative teams desire to rip up the paradigm: Just as BOTw departs greatly from past Zelda games, so too is HZD a major departure away from the Killzone series for Guerilla.
    I've played and greatly enjoyed both, though both had their flaws: Zelda had the Divine Beasts "puzzles" that I loathed, plus too fragile weapons, while HZD didn't exploit its robots to the full, relying on human enemies to much for my liking.

HZD's best cards by far are the robot design, the densest game world we've seen in ages and one of the best female game characters created yet in Aloy.

(Nor can I say I'm a fan of trying to tear the one game down to raise the other up.)

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    There was two main points stopping me from giving HZD a perfect 10/10 score, and that's the story and characters. The story was definitely great and had me hooked all the way through, but I feel like there could've been more to it or told in a slightly different way. And for me, all of the characters except for Aloy were quite bland and not memorable. But everything else was absolutely incredible. This is me being picky since we're taking about the best game of the year here. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy has my vote, and I really hope it gets nominated. Also, I haven't played the latest Zelda game as I don't own a Nintendo Switch.

TX-20 likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    An interesting article on the updated skill tree that comes with the new DLC. I'm certainly digging this new "Traveller" set:

There are eight in total for this new set, including the following abilities:
    Mounted pick-up: allows you to harvest and loot without having to dismount
    Shard salvager: allows you to deconstruct items that you find in the wild without needing to find a vendor or drop them on the ground to make inventory space
    Expert carver: Increases you chance of getting rare loot
    Hoarder: Gives you increased inventory capacity
    Dismount Strike: Once you've unlocked all the Traveller skills, you'll get access to Dismount Strike. It's a move that allows you to leap off your mount and perform a devastating attack that will kill smaller enemies and wound larger ones.
    http://www.gamesradar.com/horizon-z...-is-focused-on-making-your-mount-more-useful/

TX-20 and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Great additions. They sound very useful.

9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Meet the Scorcher

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Oh yeah. It's so annoying when I've hunted a handful of powerful machines and have some exceptional resources and mods there for the taking; and I have to go into the menu to drop things to give me some room.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I wonder if it has any weaknesses.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's guaranteed to have weaknesses, but will Aloy stay alive long enough to find them?

The DLC seems to have quite a new ambush technique for some robo-monsters.

TX-20 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Another question is, can you override it? I mean considering the cauldrons were already available in the base game and most people have conquered them by now, would the Scorcher be among those machines?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably not without doing a FW-specific quest?

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Yeah that would make sense.

16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Cauldrons are all complete

Vantages all complete

Metal flowers all complete

Banuk figures all complete

Just hunting grounds to go now (ugh) then all the key parts are done.

I'm not one for achievements but I'm going to look up the remaining hidden ones and sort the fighting dummies and see how achieved I can get on this game

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Just saw the news - a 15-hour DLC! Now that's how you do an expansion!

18. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Wow! That's longer than I expected.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    9.3GB download too. That is pretty hefty.

Clearly Guerilla took notice of Blood & Wine.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I don't get how some people have been complaining about it. 15 hours is no slouch for a DLC. Some full games are less than that.

TX-20 and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, also, given how dense Guerilla made the world, there will be a ton of stuff in this expansion.

So they're saying 15 hours but some will do a speed run and do it in less, I'd expect to take far longer.

CDPR said 10 and 20 hours for their two expansions but I'm certain I got far more than that out of each.

TX-20 and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The initial reviews for HZD: Frozen Wilds are all very positive.

As it's a 9.3GB download, probably will buy tomorrow night and give it a run Weds.

23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013

"Only 15 hours for $20!? That's crap! It should be a thousand hours and they should pay me to play it!" - Not an actual quote, but wouldn't be surprised to see some variation of it on some thread.

It's perfectly fine for me. Looking forward to it and the eventual full sequel.

Ahsoka's Tano and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That they've done one big expansion says to me they're already working on the sequel.

EDIT: Also, the Polygon review makes a neat point that HZD had the most unfortunate timing ever, so HZD: TFW should give the main game a boost in registering with the wider audience, who got distracted by Zelda before.

TX-20 likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

Between you and me, I still don't see what the hype is all about regarding BOTW. The other day I was at a local electronics store where a kid was a playing the game on a setup Switch system. For the better part of 20 minutes or so he was doing nothing but trying on different pieces of armor. Fun.

TX-20 likes this.