main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Ron Howard to Finish Han Solo film

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jun 22, 2017.

1. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I wonder if the retained weird designs are wholly from the minds of the concept art / design team, and merely hand-picked by L&M to be included in the film, as opposed to L&M coming up with some of the weird designs themselves and having the art team polish them. George would periodically go into the art department and basically go shopping for designs to put in his films. George would also describe what he had in mind, and the art team would interpret his vision. It could take a few tries until the team achieved what was in his head. I'm curious to find out if L&M had original designs, and if any of those are retained. Also, I wonder if there was enough time for Howard to add designs from the concept art collection that he felt were missing from the scheduled reshoots.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    You know how when some kid pees his pants on the first day of elementary school, and his classmates still remind him about it at high school graduation?

That's like this :)

Gigoran Monk and Dead Chiznuk like this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Really? Not even a little bit of a fan?

2016 Inferno
    2016 The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years (Documentary)
    2015 In the Heart of the Sea
    2013 Rush
    2011 The Dilemma
    2009 Angels & Demons
    2008 Frost/Nixon
    2006 The Da Vinci Code
    2005 Cinderella Man
    2001 A Beautiful Mind
    1999 Edtv
    1996 Ransom
    1995 Apollo 13
    1994 The Paper
    1992 Far and Away
    1991 Backdraft
    1989 Parenthood
    1988 Willow
    1986 Gung Ho
    1985 Cocoon
    1984 Splash
    1982 Night Shift

4. Dead Chiznuk

Dead Chiznuk Your Friendly Neighborhood Living-Impaired Mod star 1

Sep 28, 2016
    I like maybe two of the movies on that list. :p

Wow... you went all the way to pee pee boy. That hurts man. :p

5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The most important part of that list: his recent output.

2016 Inferno
    2016 The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years (Documentary)
    2015 In the Heart of the Sea
    2013 Rush
    2011 The Dilemma
    2009 Angels & Demons
    2008 Frost/Nixon
    2006 The Da Vinci Code
    2005 Cinderella Man

None of which are good movies, IMO. And out of his rest, I think Apollo 13 is the only very good one. Can’t stand the melodramatic mediocrity that is A Beautiful Mind, for example, and am still baffled by its Oscar success.

Yup. Basically, you pissed yourself in August 2017 and we will never forget.

PymParticles likes this.
  6. Aroooo-Dion

Aroooo-Dion Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 27, 2017
    I love Apollo 13 and remember enjoying Night Shift, Splash, Cocoon, Parenthood and Backdraft. But I haven't seen anything since Ransom, including A Beautiful Mind. I just can't be bothered. But I still trust Howard to deliver a great film with Solo.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked the ones in bold, but admittedly haven't seen the rest. Still, I've liked the majority of his output, which is what matters most to me. And, if the Solo script is as good as is rumored, then I'm not worried.

8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I like almost everyone of the Films listed although I never saw Night Shift, Gung Ho, The Paper, Frost/Nixon, or The Dilemma, The rest are really good the Beatles Documentary Is an Instant classic for anyone who loves the Beatles! The Beatles Documentary could easily win some kind of an Oscar or at least be Nominated. Willow, and Apollo 13 are easily my favorite on the list but there all good IMHO Willow could be some kind of Star Wars planet and I love that Warwick Davis Is the star of It! Besides Wicket The Ewok and His Harry Potter roles Willow was Warwick's best!

I am wondering If Ron Howard re filmed most if not All of the Film. It appeared Ronny did all Studio Filming. Did they save some of the Out Door Action Lord and Miller scenes? or Did Ron Howard do some Out Door shooting as well?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  9. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I don't believe Howard did any outdoor location shooting. So I very much hope the footage L&M shot on-location makes it into the film. Would be a huge shame if not, and detrimental to the look of the film, IMO.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    While I think Howard can be a bit bland at times, he has directed two of my favorite movies: Willow and Apollo 13. I'm a lot less worried about Solo now that he's in the director's chair, than I was before.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  11. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I love Rush, I think it is fantastic, very humorous in the right places, and dark in the bad part of the story bits. He did a remarkable job to capture the look of the 1970s in that film as well.

12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    The way I see it, Star Wars movies are formulaic, but not slick. There’s a weirdness to them that keeps them memorable.

Howard’s movies are formulaic and slick. There’s a pervasive conventionality to them that makes them deeply unmemorable.

Which is why I hope some of L&M’s wacky style shines through the Howard crust.

13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Pre-judging it heavily based on Howards previous films whilst thinking L&M's bits will jump out and save the day may just lead to disappointment.

14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    No. Probably the opposite, as my expectations are quite low.

15. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I think Judging a Film by the standards of the Film Makers previous films Is fair to do which Is why I am hopeful For Solo! Also Disney's Star Wars track record, Everything they have touched Star Wars has been gold!

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Loved, loved Rush.
    Heart of the Sea is... well, it's interesting. It's just more downbeat than I went in expecting.

The Da Vinci movies... really Ron. Why you making them?

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I thought the first Da Vinci Code was really Good although the book was better the movie was really good! The Da Vinci Code movie had a definite Indiana Jones Feel to it!

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The Da Vinci Code had about as much of an Indiana Jones feel to it as the National Treasure films do. None whatsoever. :p

19. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017
    [Looks at watch] Is it nearly August 2017??

20. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    My brother and I commented way back that Howard loves 1-word titles. Now we got Solo. The Red Cup was too long, I guess.

I don’t know where I heard it today, but I heard RH nearly reshot the entire movie.

Well, I just found these.

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/www.ga...roves-that-ron-howard-should-have-shot-first/

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/collider.com/han-solo-movie-reshoots-thandie-newton/amp/

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am no less amped for this film but my order of excitement for Solo: A Star Wars Story by Ron Howard is definitely A Star Wars Story, Solo, by Ron Howard.

Mostly Handless and B3 like this.
  22. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
  23. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014
    Are you sure that Ron didn't do any on-location Shooting? I didn't think about the logistics of going back to those Locations again; but I assumed that Ron would be able to go back, and Shoot more Scenes there. If this is true, it has me a little worried. :confused:

24. Baron_Papanerd

May 1, 2014
    Edit: about the triple Posts. I am having a little difficulty here. 8-}

25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'd say mine is Lawrence Kasdan presents Solo: A Star Wars Story, directed by Ron Howard.