main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #7-12: The Dying Light/ Legacy's End (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I personally hold out hope that while the Inquisitors were probably "officially disbanded" the emperor kept a few back in secret for if/when he ever lost control of the empire. So, when the empire fell and Jakku happened they were taken in by the first order and became part of the knights of ren...or something like that

Ithorians, spicer and kalzeth like this.
  2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Agreed, it would be a shame if the last inqusitors were those that were killed in Rebels on Malachor.

Ithorians, SilentGuy66 and kalzeth like this.
  3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I think it's better to leave he Knights of Ren as just normal men, no darksiders (other then Kylo). Have a surviving ex-inquisitor have his own identity not tied to the First Order.

4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The Inquisitors are all dead. The last of them died on Malachor. Mark my words, we shall not see any Inquisitors active after 3 BBY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  5. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    As seen in an episode in Season 2 of Rebels, we know that the Inquisitors kidnapped Force sensitive children. We may assume that they have successfully kidnapped other children in the past as well, which begs the question, what were they doing with them? Were they trained to be the next generation of inquisitors? Or were they used for something else? Is it possible that there is a younger generation of inqusitors not yet seen in any story?

revan772, Ithorians and kalzeth like this.
  6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    It's my hope your wrong.

It would sure feel like such a lazy path for the powers that be if the last Inquisitors died on Malachor.

Removing world building elements in a post-RoTJ setting. Obviously their should be a few darksiders existing between RoTJ and TFA not named Snoke and Kylo. Take some notes from dark forces 2, with a "jerec" like survivor going for a power grab in the Empires wake. No need to recreate the 7 man dark jedi squad, but passing on some knowledge/training to an apprentice or 2 (who don't wielding red blades but stolen jedi ones) could have the legacy survive after the death of the "Last Inquisitor".

As spicer mentioned above about wondering about what happened to kidnapped children, that background could be used for a "mara jade" like character post-RoTJ. Never a former Jedi, but basically "born" into the Inquisitor world and trained with a saber at a young age. Still young when the Inquisitor Order fell apart. She could later take the long path of redemption and act as a unlikely ally to Luke in the post-RoTJ stage. This is especially important if it turns out (besides Ben Solo) that Luke's Academy never went through the process of saber training/building their own. Also in the years preceding the creation of the Academy, a way to give Luke a force/saber wielder ally (preferably not a love interest) without resorting to bringing in another Jedi left over from the Old Order (or the horror that is Ezra).

7. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I share your feelings completely. If something is a little amiss for me right now, is that I have my doubts about the Inquisitorius being such a contained organization (what, 7, 8 members, maybe less?). I very much understand Vialco ´s position, because they have been showing us such an exclusive organization, and we already know 5 of them are dead by the time of the OT. I´m still hoping that the Inquisitors that haven´t been mentioned in the comic (2nd, 3rd, 4th, if that Dowutin one is 9th) are being left out until now to maintain some kind of opening to further roles for them to fill in other stories.

I sure hoped, at least when I first learned about them, that the Knights of Ren had something to do with the Inquisitors, even if the idea of them not being Force users is interesting too. Still, since canon has such a limit on Imperial dark siders (gone is Palpatine´s interest on an Empire ruled by darksiders from Legends) I hope they start to reaaally care and develop the very few ones we´ve got, and keep their options open; I certainly agree, a surviving Inquisitor could make an excellent antagonist post-Endor, just like Jerec was in Legends...

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Good issue.

Indeed, as predicted, Jocasta seems intent on recovering the holocron containing the identity of Force-sensitive children.

She has established a school; she just needs her students. And Palpatine seems really to despise her and views her knowledge of the Sith's dark secrets as a particular threat, but also an asset.

Really hope she manages to kill herself rather than fall into the hands of the Sith. That's dark. But so is the comic. They will do unimaginable things to her.

No word on how she managed to escape the Temple, though.

And, one last thing: her recording into her private holocron was almost identical to Shaak Ti's. I think.

Anyway, keen to see how this unfolds.

Edit: always felt, as a history major, a fondness for Jocasta. So it's nice to see her back and to see her resourceful, full of energy and determined to alter the future rather than to wallow in misery.

9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Someone translated the Aurabesh in the Emperor's list of order 66 survivors. Apparently there is Quinlan Vos, Yoda, Jocasta Nu, Kirak Infil'a and Ahsoka Tano on it.

10. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    After reading issue #7 my blood is boiling at the possibility that Quinln Vos could be turned into cannon fodder for Vader, or worse the inquisitors!!!! :mad:

[​IMG]

SilentGuy66 and spicer like this.
  11. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I loved every single panel of this issue
    Fantastic issue, probably my favourite so far! First I'll start with saying that I loved the place Jocasta is hiding - very idyllic. Gar seems like a nice guy, and her two-headed ferret-like animal friend is awesome! It was also cool to see Jocasta's starfighter and droid, and her fondness for tea makes me want to drink a cup myself :p As predicted in previous comments here, she's protecting holocrons and not younglings, but, it is possible that younglings will appear in future issues. If that is the case, I only hope that it won't be a similar story to the three we have seen in Legends (or maybe we can recanonize and continue one of them? please Marvel?).

Seeing the Jedi Temple was chilling, and I can't wait to see what Jocasta does in the next issue as she returned home! I really like that Palp's wants Jocasta alive, as that should give us something different than the derivative Vader fights Jedi and the Jedi die. The conversation between the two old Force users should be good.

As for the list of Jedi survivors, here's my best shot at translating Aurabesh:

- Kayce Beradun

- Yoda (obviously)

- QUINLAN SURFIN' VOS (MARVEL, GET OSTRANDER AND DUURSEMA ASAP!!!!)

- Kirak Infil'a (I guess the list needs to be updated here)

- Jocasta Nu (obviously)

- Ahsoka Tano (obviously)

The last two are obstructed from the dialogue clouds, so I don't know what the names are. What I could translate is:

- Ku.....ar

- Na(?)......et

Obviously we haven't seen the complete list, as Obi-Wan and Luminara are missing on it, as well as a few other Jedi mentioned in one of the Insider stories and SW: Uprising IIRC. Also, I hope for Dass Jennir, K'Kruhk, Zao, Chase Piru, Kai Hudorra, Roan Shryne, Olee Starstone, Bol Chatak, several certain younglings and Tra S'aa but to name a few. Wishful thinking I know, but I'd be overjoyed if at least some of them are recanonized [face_praying]

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention Bultar Swan! I need more of Bultar Swan both pre and post Order 66!

12. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    They don't have to be killed since now it was confirmed inquisitors were former Jedi. But I suppose Jocasta Nu would prefer death to joining the empire.

"The Emperor has foreseen a new threat rising against him: the children of the Force. They must not become Jedi."
    "Yes, Lord Vader."
    "Hunt down this new enemy, and if they will not serve the Empire, eliminate them along with any surviving Jedi who would train them. This is my master's command."

Daneira and Vialco like this.
  13. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    I think there was a Master Uvell mentioned in the SW Insider short story- End of History who might have survived....as for Ahsoka, I guess this comic must be after the novel Ahsoka when she killed that inquisitor? I thought she faked her death and left her green lightsabers in a clone's grave.

[​IMG]

I also wonder when Luminara was captured and executed, what happened to Barris Ofee, as well as whether these comics will cover the jedi massacre on Kashyyk and the jedi last stand mentioned in one of the recent novels (I forget which one).

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  14. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Sixth Brother is in that issue and the Ahsoka novel is set 1 year after the formation of the empire so the comic is before the novel.

15. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Do we really need to wait 4 weeks for another issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth_Pevra and spicer like this.
  16. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    Thats an inconsistency then....because I thought Ahsoka was preusmed to be killed on Mandalore when the Empire rose.... [face_dunno]

17. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Clearly the list hasn't been updated since Vader already killed Kirak and he's still on that list and remember the comic is set right after Vader said "NO" in RotS so maybe news of what happened on Mandalore haven't reached the emperor yet.

Revanfan1, SilentGuy66 and spicer like this.
  18. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Yeah, there were Order 66 survivors mentioned in that short story. Also in SW Uprising if I'm not mistaken. It is obvious we the readers don't know everyone on the list (which leaves plenty of room for surprises :D)

No, this comic takes place before the Ahsoka novel. If my estimates are correct, all issues of this series published thus far take place in the first 10 days after Vader is put in the suit (HeatherAntos Jordan D. White if you can elaborate on the timeline here it would be appreciated :)). The Ahsoka novel takes place about a year later. Since this comic takes place so soon after ROTS, I am assuming that Ahsoka's fake grave is not discovered yet, otherwise she wouldn't be listed among the survivors. And also, Vader was kinda surprised in the first Season 2 Rebels episode when he found out that Ahsoka lives, so I'm guessing she'll be pulled off the list soon enough. As Ancient Whills said, the list needs to be updated

19. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It's interesting if Jon and Jan were brought back to work on Quinlan, they'd probably treat him as a completely new character than the one they worked on for Dark Horse. New canon's Dark Disciple basically made Vos a completely new character who just shares the name and psychometric power as Legends Quinlan.

As someone who enjoys Thrawn's recanonization, I'm thinking why stop there? Recanonize Jerec! Jocasta's aide here (I forgot his name) should have been her former apprentice Jerec, helping her for now--but who all Legends fans know will stab his master in the back and proudly join the ranks of the Empire's Inquisitors.

20. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I'd love to see Jon and Jan work on anything SW again, and especially Quinlan Vos - they are the only ones I trust handling the character. And if anyone has the right to spoil the character, it's them, as they are his creators.

I completely agree with recanonizations. I'm all for recanonizing the last three issues of Republic with Quinlan on Kashyyyk during Order 66. The first chapter of Thrawn is almost a verbatim Mist Encounter. If Zahn was allowed to (almost) literary recanonize his old story, why shouldn't Jon and Jan (who are Zahn's equivalent for SW comics IMO) recanonize these 3 comic issues? It is obvious that Quinlan's Order 66 story needs to be told now, so why not start with bringing back those 3 Republic issues to canon?

I think we'll be getting issue #8 this month as well? If so, we won't have to wait long :)

Vialco and kalzeth like this.
  21. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Yep. Two weeks from now.

Vialco, kalzeth and spicer like this.
  22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I agree Jan and John should be allowed to write new canon Quinlan Vos, but his character was so damaged by Dark Disciple I'm not sure how they can write the Legends version into canon again.

Pretend that before the new canon Thrawn novel, we had a new canon Thrawn comic written by Marvel where he hates art, doesn't feel the need to learn about his enemies before blowing them up, and feels research is a waste of time. He just orders Noghri to blow up every civilian city in sight until the Rebels come out of hiding. Then call up Zahn and tell him to write his version of Thrawn taking place after this story.

That's what John and Jan would be coming into writing their Quinlan taking place after Dark Disciple.

23. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    Quinlan Vos's relationship with Ventress in Dark Disciple has shades of his relationship with Jedi Shylar in the dark horse comics especially since both went undercover spying on Dooku, though Shylar died thinking him a traitor....I really want Vos to escape order 66 like he did in SW Republic though I wouldn't mind a new story of his escape since we don't have Vilmarh Grahk in canon anymore.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I can't help but be a little bothered by this "light side" stuff. I know I shouldn't be, I know the EU did it as well, and I know that TFA has people going "light, light, light" so it's "canon" and all but urgh.

The fact that the films (I-VI, anyway) refuse to use "light side"* is interesting, dammit, (and I'd argue implies a more holistic approach than the Jedi are popularly given credit for**) and it just gets ignored.

*Luke does say "good side" once in TESB and again in RotJ, I grant you, but that doesn't carry the same connotations. Also he's a n00b,

** "You sense only a part of the Force, Darth" -- Obi-Wan, ANH novel

DoubleSith, MercenaryAce and Gamiel like this.
  25. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Your arguments are on point and I agree with them. I've been pretty vocal for my dislike of TCW and DD Quinlan, so I am a bit concerned for his portrayal in future canon stories as well. The quickest fix I can come up with is that Quinlan isn't the same person from before the events of DD because of his fall to the Dark Side. Taking that into account, Jon and Jan can write him similarly like in Republic with that explanation given.

Some modification of the 3 Republic issues in question would be necessary I believe, and that could possibly include Villie. Even the canon Mist Encounter version in Thrawn had some differences from the Legends version.

kalzeth, panki and sidv88 like this.
  26. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

A possible nod to Villie - the Vilmarh's Revenge model of blaster pistol:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vilmarh's_Revenge

Jedi Knight Fett, panki and spicer like this.