main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Kessel Run

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by darthOB1, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Gonk Droid

Gonk Droid Jedi Knight star 1

May 7, 2017
    Is it not the case that we're all over thinking this?

Look, I know that's what we do as fans, but for me, when ANH was released, surely all GL was trying to do was to convey to the audience that the MF is a fricking fast (and legendary) piece of kit.

The analogy would be like Boeing saying they've done the London to New York run in 2 hours! It's intended to be a wow moment of the film!

Once I start looking into the mechanics of hyperspace and what parsecs are / are not, the mystique and magic of the Kessell run is somewhat lost on me. For me I keep it simple, the MF is the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy period!

And for what it's worth, the fact Han appears genuinely irritated by the 14 parsec comment in TFA is enough evidence for me to suggest the MF did do it in 12!

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    One fact remains, i.e. never did Solo in ANH brag that he did the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, just the Millennium Falcon:

HAN Fast ship? You've never heard of the
    Millennium Falcon?

BEN Should I have?

HAN It's the ship that made the Kessel
    run in less than twelve parsecs!

I.e. it's the ship, not the man with the ship. ;)

The draft from January 1, 1976 doesn't mention "Kessel Run" at all (just a fast ship).

Frankly, I found the extra scene annotation posted here rather irritating. Couldn't find it in the March 1976 screenplay or the novelization.

However, it seems to be part of the 1979 'polished' or 'public' script, first published in The Art of Star Wars containing several alterations:
    http://www.starwarz.com/starkiller/star-wars-public-version-of-fourth-draft/ [face_thinking]

Shaak Ti likes this.
  3. matriculate

matriculate Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2017
    theres gonna be a han solo movie?

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes. It finished filming last month and will be released in May of next year. Are you seriously just now learning this? :p

5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I know, right? There will also be a Han Solo movie trailer in August 2017.

6. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003

I say we give Darth Chiznuk a couple of new names..... one's a trooper designation rooted in August 2017, and the other is a nickname based upon that trooper designation.

"Hey, what's your name?"
    "DC-0817"
    "D.... what!?"
    "That's the only name they've ever given me, besides Darth Chiznuk."
    "Well I ain't using either one. DC, huh? 08? I'm gonna call you Oh Wait. Is that all right?"
    "Oh Wait. Yeah. I like the sound of that. I like that. I know all about waiting."

[Yeah, I know he would be called DC-zero-eight-one-seven, not oh-eight, or just DC-eight-one-seven. Work with me here.]

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    If you both suddenly find yourselves permabanned... it wasn't me. :p

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  8. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Sure thing, AUG-17.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Serious question where did Aug 17th come from? I'm pretty sure I only ever said August never a specific date in August.

EDIT: And now I'm realizing it's the year. God, I really am an idiot. :p

10. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Or Augie Ben Doggie. Now that's a name I've not said in a long time. A long time. I haven't said that name since, oh, before the prequels, when I watched the Hardware Wars Special Edition on VHS.

11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    [​IMG]

DarthTalgus and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So I've been thinking about this recently.

How many parsecs does it take to normally do the Kessel Run? I believe Legends says it's 18 parsecs.

So based on Han's boast in ANH, he claims that he did the Kessel Run with the MF under 12 parsecs and he's "surprised" that Ben and Luke hadn't heart about it. Sure, from a certain point of view, he does say "it's the ship that made the Kessel Run" so that means it wasn't necessarily him that did it, but if I'm selling my services I'm going to boast about my success, not the success/capability of the vehicle I happen to pilot, but who knows. It's definitely plausible that Han did NOT pilot the ship and maybe it was Lando (or someone else) that did it and Han was either there or heard about it and wanted to buy/win it from Lando when he heard that the ship could pull off the amazing feat and do a trip in 6 less parsecs than normal.

Then in TFA, Rey says 14, and he yells 12. So was it done in 12, under 12, are we looking at a 11.99999 parsec situation so that's technically under 12? Are we splitting hairs too much?

At the end of the day, based on a Lego leak, and Ron Howard's "spicy" tweet, and since this is the spoiler forum, we can kind of say with somewhat certainty that we're getting a Kessel Run in the Solo movie.

What questions to you have and you think they'll be answered? Will it be pretty straight forward OR will there be a bit of a "twist" to make us look at ANH in a new way? Thoughts?

My thoughts - Maybe Lando does the run in 15 parsecs in the MF. Han hears about it and the gears start turning. He thinks he can do better AND it'll be the perfect ship for his next business venture. He somehow gets an opportunity to win the the Falcon from Lando in a game of Corellian Spike and does so with his lucky gold dice. Han then decides to take a risky job from the gangster Jabba, thinking it to be a sure thing since he has the best ship to do so. He ends up doing the run under 12 parsecs by accident and ends up screwing up by getting almost caught by Imperials and dumps his cargo -- bringing us full circle to what we know from Greedo/Jabba in ANH. The only thing I haven't thought of is that something else happens between Han and Lando that Han alludes to Chewy in ESB, so I'm not sure we'll see that in the movie. I've just been focused on the Kessel run. :)

P.S. Mods, can you correct the spelling of this thread please?

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Done.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm curious to see what they come up with. My limited imagination all points to boring senarios...
    "You can't hyperspace across an asteroid field! The odds of surviving are..."
    "Never tell me the odds!"

Or...
    A light on the dashboard glows red.
    "Grrraghwrr!" ("The hyperdrive is overheating. We have to slow down!")

Anyway. Let's see what we see.

15. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I hope it has black holes like in legends. I want to see black holes in a Star Wars movie.

16. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    I envisage the Kessel Run as a journey of many alternative routes. The shorter the distance you can do it in, the more dangerous it is. So for example, at the midway point of the journey, you can either go through an asteroid field or go around it. The asteroid field route is quicker, but fraught with danger. By boasting that the Falcon did the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs should indicate its capabilities, including manoeuvrability, reliability and, of course - speed.

themoth likes this.
  17. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    The lines that are the most relevant to me, in order of occurrence, are:

C-3PO:
    "We’ll be sent to the spice mine of Kessel or smashed into who knows what!"

C-3PO is obviously concerned about this possibility. Sounds like Kessel is not a hospitable place, especially for droids.

Han Solo:
    "It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. I've outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers mind you, I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now. She's fast enough for you old man. What's the cargo?"

It seems to me that, while Luke and Obi-Wan are obviously unimpressed with Han's assertion, Han believes this statement to be true. Whether or not he was actually in the pilot's seat when the Millennium Falcon achieved this feat is open to interpretation and/or exploration.

I really hope Kessel and the details of the Kessel Run are explored in some depth onscreen.

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Honestly, I think that originally the line, "It's the ship that made the Kessel run in 12 parsecs" was just a line to show Han's cockiness and the ship's speed. There was probably no backstory to the line at all and It didn't matter what it meant or needed any explanation. It's funny that it's 40 years later and now we have to turn that one line into an actual event that makes sense. I think it will be amazing to see.

19. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I'd like to see the Kessel Run completed in around 14 parsecs as repeated by Rey in TFA. This will confirm that Han was just being a boastful braggart when re-telling the Kessel run story (for likely the 100th time) to Luke and Obi Wan. The bragging nature fits well with Han's character. I imagine its like a fish story. The more times you tell the story of the "big fish" you caught....the story gets wilder and the fish gets bigger.

20. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Is this the thread were we make a headcanon and bash the movie afterwards when it doesn't show what we wanted?

Gimme all the runz, kessel.

21. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Sounds like all the threads in the TLJ forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    Wasn’t the Kessel Run explained in old books from the 80s? I vividly remember it being explained that the Run was through a cluster of black holes surrounding the kessel system and the most known hyperspace route around/through the cluster was long. And that Han and the Falcon found a more daring and shorter route but it required getting closer than usual to specific black holes so the ship would need to be faster/more powerful to fight the immense gravitational pull. And since the MF pulled it off Han boasted about its power/speed.

Can anyone confirm? Or did I make this up and convince myself that I didn’t?

whostheBossk and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Han Solo trilogy: Rebel Dawn by AC Crispin in the 90's.

whostheBossk and Cantina Regular like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    DP

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  25. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    It'd be pretty funny if he actually makes the run in 12.1 parsecs (however that's measured in SW (time/distance)).