main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Is there a topic to talk about the Star Tours and Launch Bay of Hollywood Studios?

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, so it is a normal state of affairs. Thank you for clearing that up, jc'.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Best place is probably in the Lucasfilm Projects forum. It's kinda become the place for non-SW Disney discussion. I don't see a recent thread on your subject so feel free to start one.

Diego Lucas likes this.
  4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Really slow again. I don't know if it is even linked to the posting issue that causes people to double and tripple post. It is overall forum slow loading pages and at certain times complete forum outage (You get a blank screen with an error message asking to try again, retrying will fail again then two or three minutes later you'll be able to load the page, although still very slowly). Makes it feel like the forum is powered by an old overworked hamster on his exercise wheel.

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I've had a couple of "unexpected error has occurred" messages today. At other times, pages have been extremely slow to load.

BookExogorth likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

+1

BookExogorth likes this.
  7. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Me three.

I came here though, because, when accessing the boards on a laptop, the panel that displays what's new, watched threads, and others, often goes transparent unless I mouse over it. It doesn't really hinder me, but it can be a bit annoying.

8. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Happened to me as well. More than three times. But the "unexpected error has occurred" only appears when I'm using the WiFi at school. And the page-loading-extremly-slow happens both at home and at school.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ditto for the slow posts, especially on the longer threads.

Also, when I mouse over the Alerts to see what I just got tagged for, sometimes it takes a very long time for that to open.

10. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    Same here.

11. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I get that too, I think if someone posts in a big thread and the forum is taking a long time to process it, anyone who tries to look in their alerts during that time will find it very slow to load up and open. I can recreate that every time by just refreshing the page or opening a different thread when one of my posts is taking forever to go though, then I press alerts and it will also be taking forever. Once the alerts shows up, I go back to the thread I posted in and my post will have finaly arrived also.

jcgoble3 and Sarge like this.
  12. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Ditto for that as well.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sunday afternoon and evening, the site seems to have gone down for a couple times, for a few minutes each.

14. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012

I don't see us switching to HTTPS any time soon, there's simply no reason for a site like this to use it. If anything it would slow things down even more as the server would be doing SSL processing on top of the existing workload.

As far as the slowness and crashing, I've given my thoughts on that many times over and honestly I'm not putting any more effort into fixing the issues. We need to upgrade to a newer Xenforo, it's not happening because of the customizations here so I don't know what else there is to do.

EHT, Bardan_Jusik and Bazinga'd like this.
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I hate to say it, but at some point you have to make a decision between keeping your customizations and having a functioning site. The latter seems more important to me.

V-2, Sith-I-5, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  16. BookExogorth

May 4, 2017
    Just wondering, what do you mean when you say customizations?

Ghost likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We have various plug-ins that handle stuff like user colors, PM management, BB Code, IP lookup, etc. We also have Forumrunner and Tapatalk for mobile access. Grimby had found replacements or updates for all of these that would work with newer software. Unfortunately when we moved from IGN they wrote a custom plugin to handle user notes. This is the one we're stuck on, and it's an important one as it's how we keep track of things like reasons why a user was banned. A new plugin could probably be found (and I think he had one in mind) but a conversion process for existing user notes would have to be done. Unfortunately my SQL probably isn't good enough to handle that - most of my database work was mainframe-based, so I used IBM Cobol and Assembler more than SQL.

Ghost and BookExogorth like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Me three.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But before the latest "move," or whatever it was, everything was fine.
    Can't we look in the conversion for user notes outlined above and see who can do that, and then just upgrade? Customizations aren't nearly as important if it doesn't work well. Or just move back to how things were before the latest move.

BookExogorth likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We weren't fine on the old server - in fact, Grahame was surprised we ran at all given the size of our database. We had limited resources there and at times (like when a new trailer dropped) it showed. Since it was a hosted server we couldn't add to it to improve things. When we moved things like PHP and SQL were upgraded but Xenforo wasn't. Those upgrades fixed a couple of things not visible to regular users (like IP lookups) but also are causing a problem with Elasticsearch (seeing all posts for a user).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I ran updates on the server this morning, rebooted it and started all but Elasticsearch. Right now it seems very fast but there's probably not much of a load. Let's see how it runs throughout the day before I start ES.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Seems pretty fast at the moment with 427 (members: 84, guests: 343) online.

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Grahame, thanks for doing all this, on the behalf of all of us search fanatics. :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just got a couple of 'unexpected error occurred' messages. User count: Online now: 481 (members: 123, guests: 358)

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    About an hour to an hour and a half ago (I think; I wasn't really paying attention to a clock) attempting to load the fanfic social thread from the link in an email notification was not working. The little indicator in the browser tab just spun endlessly. I did not try any other thread or try loading the site by any other means, just through that one link, so I don't know if it was a problem with the site in general or just with that thread.