main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do you Consider the Deleted Scenes From the prequels Canon?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AussieViking, Nov 3, 2017.

1. AussieViking

AussieViking Jedi Padawan

May 28, 2017
    So I was watching AOTC deleted scenes and was shocked how much better they made the film (Such as Anakin and padmes relationship being OK in AOTC but to me it ascends to "Great" With the deleted scenes. Having Anakin meet padmes family was amazing. Really hope there some sort of edit out there with these scenes put back in.

The case also goes with TPM and ROTS. But I ask do you consider these scenes At least the finished scenes Canon?

I definitely do . Maybe not Shaak Ti Dying twice in ROTS but mostly I think the scenes add a lot to the prequels and ascends them. If only we could get a version like that.

whostheBossk and Amon_Amarth like this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    for me it really depends on the scene

if they cut a scene because it just didn't work then no. Or if the deleted scene is retconned (Shaak Ti) also no.

Otherwise yes.

Though the deleted scene in ROTS where they ended up in the fuel tank on the invisible hand felt too surreal for me, not to mention their garments are completely dry straight after, so I don't consider that canon either.

3. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    These that don‘t contradict the rest of the scenes, definitely yes. Also most of these scenes were cut for pace reasons or lenght. Almost every deleted scene in AOTC is of such type. But there are others like the delegation of 2000 in Palpatine‘s office with Anakin standing there-no. Or when they fight with Greedo in Ep.1 (unnecessary scene at all).
    I‘m also a big fan of the deleted scenes on Naboo in AOTC while I understand very well why they cut them.

MarcJordan likes this.
  4. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I consider the deleted scenes with Padme, Bail and Mon Mothma in ROTS Canon because they show the earliest origins of the Rebellion and the deleted scene in TPM where Qui-Gon catches Maul's Probe following them which explains why he and Anakin are running back to the Queen's ship.

The others I can take or leave really because they don't have much impact on the story. Though there is a deleted scene that isn't available to watch but is in the ROTS novel, of Obi-Wan talking with Padme and revealing he knows about Anakin's marriage to her, that I would love to see one day.

whostheBossk and Deliveranze like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think its safe to say that when Lucasfilm references a deleted scene in the databank, they consider it canon.

Petition of 2000, and Biggs's conversation with Luke on Tatooine, are two notable examples. Recently others have come to light. Hobbie's crash into Veers's walker for example (canonised in On The Front Lines).

Shaak Ti being killed in the Jedi Temple by Anakin, has also been mentioned in newcanon sources like Galactic Atlas.

Jedi Knight Fett and Deliveranze like this.
  6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Some I do, some I don't.

I think the Naboo family scenes were the only scenes worth keeping in AOTC. The rest of them weren't interesting enough to keep. Like Tonyg said, I understand why they were still cut. Even the theatrical version of AOTC is considered "slow" so those scenes definitely wouldn't have helped that.

For ROTS, the whole Grievous kills Shaak Ti scene is definitely non canon.

I consider the Rebellion/Delegation of 2000 scenes and Anakin killing Shaak Ti canon.

In terms of scenes I'd like to see? I would love to see Obi-Wan visiting Padme before he heads to Utapau, the extended Anakin vs Obi-Wan duel, extended Jedi Temple Raid scenes (if the exist) and Anakin killing Wat Tambor.

7. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    In general, no. If the scene contains information or intent that is not carried by the rest of the film then you cannot imbue the narrative of the completed movie with whatever that intent was.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    This also extends to the OT. The full scene between Luke and Leia in Echo Base doesn't count based on the ROTJ revelations. But Luke constructing his Lightsaber before giving it to Artoo, yeah.

Deliveranze likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    How's that? It's a little iffy - but it doesn't make ROTJ impossible - it simply implies they were a bit more attracted to each other than TESB without the bonus scene does. That doesn't mean that they consummated this attraction (thankfully) - they just kissed a little more than the movie showed.

However, I've not watched the scene itself - only read somebody's posting of it - and it was quite a while back. Maybe someone could repost it and provide reasons why it cannot be canon?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Nope. I do not.

11. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    Most of them, yes.

Like the deleted Jira/Probe Droid Scene in TPM. I never got why it was cut, since it explains why Qui-Gon and Anakin are running back towards the ship.

12. AussieViking

May 28, 2017
    I understand why the Scenes on naboo for AOTC were taken away. But for me they add so much character and actual depth to Anakin and padmes love that I wish they were kept in. Sure they dont expand the plot and move it along. but for me if I had to choose between a scene that continues the plot or a scene that adds character depth I am picking the depth. ""When you know the rules then you can break them"

13. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    They are interesting reference, but not canon. The only thing I consider untouchable canon is what made it into the movies. Everything else is a conversation piece that can be tossed out on a whim. If they come up with the most incredible plot point for Episode 9 but it contradicts a Clone Wars episode, I'd rather the Clone Wars cartoon continuity suffer than the potential greatness of the Saga movies.

14. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

That one was an oddball. Technically, It really doesn't matter too much why they were running. You could say Qui-Gon was in a rush. The deleted scene would have made a better transition but I would rather have it in.

WebLurker and Darth Weavile like this.
  15. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Most of them I wouldn't consider canon except for maybe the Anakin and Padme Naboo scenes and the Petition of the 2000.

The Naboo scenes for the fact it adds to Anakins and Padmes relationship, as well as the only times I feel they have any chemistry. The Petition of the 2000 for seeing the planting of seeds that would become the Rebellion and more Bail is always nice of course. The rest I don't really care if their considered canon or not as they don't impact the films too much for me.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Deleted scenes I wish were kept in:

TPM: Can't think of any.
    AotC: Padme addressing the senate and Padme and Anakin negotiating with Dooku.
    RotS: All of the Rebellion scenes, more of Anakin and Obi-Wan on the Invisible Hand, Yoda communing with Qui-Gon, and Yoda's arrival on Dagobah.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. AussieViking

May 28, 2017
    Heres Hoping we get a special edition of the prequels for the 20th Anniversary. ( Hey the OT specials actually did some great things and some iffy things but mostly great I think)

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    All of those that don't contradict the movies, yes.

Darth Weavile likes this.
  19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Padme taking Anakin to meet the folks.

20. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I love the scenes with Anakin meeting Padme's family. It almost feels like Lucas regrets cutting them since he had the actors return in the RotS funeral, the scene is still understandable and works even if you hadn't seen them before but I think works better and stronger if you had.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    No, but I'm not sure I really consider anything "canon." :p

Although certainly I appreciate watching them and revisiting the PT style of Star Wars. I could watch a whole movie based on Anakin meeting Padme's family and experiencing what her mundane life is like.

-NaTaLie- and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  22. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I consider deleted scenes that do not contradict the final movies as probable, but not definite like the scenes that made it to the final cut.

Darth Dnej and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  23. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    the deleted scenes in ROTS where Padme is seen discussing with Mothma and others the rebel alliance are good

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Mainly it's because the apparent attraction between Luke and Leia is more overt and obvious. Cut down as it is now, Leia is only attracted to Han and not Luke and Luke never shows any interest in her anymore.

25. Blade Of Kenobi

Blade Of Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 18, 2012
    Not unless they supplement the films and drive the plot forward without any contradictions. I don't understand why scenes have to be cut due to length. Why can't they be reinserted for home video release? The Lord of the Rings films can be almost four hours long, but we can't extend the running time a little bit?