main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would use an exploding X-wing avatar.

vncredleader likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    My avatar is handsome. No, really handsome, according to canon. Look it up. Deal with it. :p

--Adm. Nick

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It has a certain moist charisma.

4. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Literally the best thing NU has given us so far, btw.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Moist charisma.

6. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I am playing a lot of Assassin's Creed Origins. It is very good, indeed... but whenever someone calls me "the Last Medjay", I can't help but think of a certain upcoming SW film. :p

7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    That AC game does look fantastic, I watched a short video of some one wandering around Alexandria. Just wow!

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Alexandria's the best city I've ever seen in an AC game, and it's just one tiny part of the map here.

Granted, I'm biased, because my previous favorite was AC:B's Roma, which was a magnificent achievement. Still unsurpassed by the other more recent AC games with Paris and London, etc.

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I might pick it up on sale, just really burned out on AC, since for me nothing will likely be able to top the Black Flag Pirate feel.

10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Can you actually go inside the Great Library of Alexandria?

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. The architectural style is a little fanciful -- it has a façade similar to the Library of Celsus at Ephesus almost 500 years after the Great Library, and the interior architecture has Roman-style crossvaults and hexastyle coffering but... well, I suppose they did the best they could.

It's a very pretty building, with some fun Greek inscriptions on the exterior.

haha, I was just telling someone how AC4 was my least favorite of all the AC games. Pirates are the worst.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I finally got to RotJ as part of my reading of a few Star Wars books I have but hadn't gotten around to reading, which included the LCA, HSA, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye (SotME), so I threw in a reread of the HST (my first reread of the trilogy), OT, and Shadows of the Empire (SotE). It still amazes me how accurate of a foreshadowing RotJ was for some the major elements of the PT, inconsistencies with Padme aside. Next stop is Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (LSatSoM) and then Scourge. I may end up throwing in a reread of Zahn's post-Endor run capped off with Survivor's Quest and Outbound Flight, since Scourge is set around the same time as the Hand of Thrawn Duology.

13. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I re-read SotME a couple of years ago. It's an old favorite I read many times as a kid, I think it still holds up well on it's on. I'll probably re-read it again someday.

14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I have to get this off my chest because I’m angry.
    For those that don’t know There was another Gun massacre in Texas, this time in a Church. Now the usual cliches are coming out “Our Thoughts and Prayers are with them” and “oh but what can be done” I’m sorry but that means nothing. They were literally murdered while praying, and what can be done is obvious and has been since 1996 - introduce Gun Control - Thoughts and Prayers mean nothing unless your prepared to do something about it.
    For those who are wondering why I say 1996 because then in both the U.K. after the Dunblane massacre and in Australia after the Port Arthur Massacre they introduced forms of Gun Control and neither country has had a Gun massacre since.

This is the link about the Port Arthur massacre. It’s relevant because Australia is the US younger brother with a similar frontier outlook and Gun Culture

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

Sorry but I see the same cliches being trotted out and it’s just made me blow up. For gods sake do something !

15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It would be nice. But the party in power generally cannot be relied upon to support things like gun control, affordable health care access, taxation on corporations and the ultra-wealthy, climate-change, voting rights, or social safety nets. There is a reason why the direction the country is going is the #1 cause of stress for Americans right now. I know that I am not optimistic. Even if we manage to get rid of Trump, Pence, Ryan, McConnell, Cruz, Sessions, Pruitt, and some of the other most noxious politicians (I'm not saying the Democrats are faultless at all, but the national GOP is on an order of magnitude worse) they will leave behind lasting damage to our society and democracy.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    What is angering me even more is going on Twitter and reading people talking about there being civil war if there is a gun ban. I mean WTF - you are threatening to go to war over an attempt to prevent mass murders ! How crazy is that I just don’t get it

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    If you're burnt out on the gameplay then ACO only really brings forward free running/parkour and some (not all) of the stealth mechanics. It still has a lot of Black Flag's DNA but it's an open world action RPG first and foremost. I feel comparisons to The Witcher 3 and the 3D Zeldas are appropriate.

If you're burnt out on the AC setting and mythology, then fair enough... but I'm fairly sick of all that too and it hasn't been bothering me so far. Maybe I'll have changed my mind by the end if it starts being more obtrusive.

Not that sale waiting is a ever a bad thing.

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The thing you need to understand here is that Americans are pretty stupid.

19. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Well I mean if they gave the slightest damn about preventing mass murder they would accept even just some more gun control in the first place. . No rationalizing with people who put their guns above other people's lives, over freaking children's lives

20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    But many of them call themselves Christians even though it’s literally the opposite of what Christ reached !!!

21. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah it's sad how many people have double standards. I was raised Catholic and among my very catholic parents one is more and more pro gun control and the other is just oblivious to his hypocrisy

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Thou shall not kill - Do good those that hate you - if somone strikes you on the right cheek, offer him the left - Owning a gun and threatening war for anyone trying to do a ban is the complete opposite to that though. I mean how do they justify that to themselves ???

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The combination of political corruption* and misinformation = sensible gun laws are virtually a dead letter. Even in states that would be in favor, the Supreme Court balance is not amenable.

We have to change gun culture before any legislative solutions will be possible.

* (in the routine lobbying sense, not the more severe self-dealing sense)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm all in favor of gun control but is the problem the guns?

I mean this seriously as the issue I'm asking is....is the reason this doesn't happen in other countries because they don't have guns or because they don't have people randomly committing mass murder?

I'm wondering about the psychology behind it.

Why?

Just why?

What is wrong with the American spirit?

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    That I can’t answer but I know that something needs to be tried regardless. Simply doing nothing and waiting for the next massacre (which will happen) is not an option