main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Don't take this the wrong way, but this sounds great.

So much of the EU, that I read anyway, relied on coincidence, eg. the main stars converging by accident on the same planet.

No one was ever too early, or too late for anything.

This drilled rock of yours, sounds like you missed a King Arthur and the sword in the stone moment by a couple of weeks, and the circus has moved on.

Does the 300 words not offer any clue?

I wouldn't worry about it; just have your protagonist express your confusion, and move on.

EDIT: If there is more material after this scene, can you do a keyword search for "rock"?

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    You're definitely onto something here - the drilled rock is an aftermath of something, but what?

Searched for it further in the text, found instances of...other rocks. Because Endor.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm thinking a crystal? Was stolen from it?

Ewok Poet, Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, could something once have been hidden in it? A secret weapon or device of some kind? Something for communication with some kind of enemy unknown to the protagonists? [face_thinking]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    If it was drilled all the way through, put a lens at either end, and it could be an early telescope.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The last three replies definitely ring a bell.

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    This talk of mysterious ruins and ancient artifacts makes me think of Indiana Jones.

8. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Or Dr. Aphra. Or her predecessor, Corellia Antilles (anyone remember her?)

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Doctor Aphra: Dr. Antilles. Again, we see there is nothing you can possess which I cannot take away. And you thought I'd given up.

Ewok Poet and Mistress_Renata like this.
  10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    So if Corellia Antilles is the Indiana Jones of the GFFA, that must mean that Aphra is Belloque. (However you spell it)

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yep

12. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    This is going in the Plot Bunny thread. Someone adopt this.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Oh, Force, what have I done? :oops:[face_laugh]

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Minor annoyed rant at my muse (again). Last night a plot kinda bit me for a Star Wars story for the 80s music challenge. I decided not to write it right away so it could 'marinate' in my head since my fics do tend to be better when I let them develop a bit in my head before I write them down. But this morning I was lying in bed and two more West Wing plots bit me and have taken all of my brain-space. Not that I'm complaining about more WW plots, but I was also hoping to return to writing SW.

This is my West Wing muse:
    [​IMG]

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    An update on my problem.

I found the complete story synopsis written in 2015...

...looks like the rock was a late add-on. :oops:

Master_Lok and Sith-I-5 like this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My SW muse has seemingly returned, but oddly enough (or maybe not so odd given the revealing discussion here last month) it is insisting on a new OC in a complete AU (think "Anakin never went Sithy" universe), which is fine, I'm open to some extreme freedom those two elements give me. The only downside is the POV the muse is insisting on. Its insisting on 1st person. I don't like writing in 1st person, but don't mind diary-writing (and I was kinda hoping to return to SW with a 2018 DDC). The problem is, the character will spend the first chunk of the story unable to move or talk and a lot of the (dark) humour will come from the character's thoughts as they happen, so I don't think doing this in a diary format will create the same story.

I think, as I am typing this, this is just one of those stories that needs to be in 1st person. Anyone have any tips for getting into that mindset?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Think, Han Solo in carbonite. Not sure if him being awake in there is canon or fanon, he may have had some thoughts whilst unable to move, see or hear.

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Just imagine it's you. Empathise. Utilise the stream-of-consciousness technique. That works for me, at least. :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

19. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Is there a practical solution to the problem of losing interest in all of your current projects? Other than going all Angela Bassett and setting them on metaphorical fire?

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Read a good book.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Put everything in a folder and don't touch it for 3 months? Try to work on something completely different in the meantime. Then, when 3 months is up, go back and see if anything has rekindled. I've done this a lot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, an update on my SW muse: my WW muse has come up with an idea for a mini holiday series that I can totally get done for the holiday season. See Spoiler tag for my muses and me in gif form:
    This is my WW muse:
    [​IMG]

My Star Wars muse:
    [​IMG]

And this is me:
    [​IMG]

Master_Lok, leiamoody and mavjade like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    If you're on an AP - no solution, you'll become a robot. :(

If you're not on an AP - just wait, and read others' stuff instead. :)

23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    leiamoody I agree with what was said above; just set everything aside for a while and do something else. Like Sith-I-5 I find that reading offline is helpful, often more helpful than reading other people's fics, because an unrelated book can offer a sideways entry point back into the SW universe. My two drachmas.

------------------------------

My problem right now is that my muse is in hyperactive mode, so much that it's becoming a hindrance. I currently have nine on-going multi-chapter stories, some of which I neglected for more than a year; two more that are in the planning stage; and eight one-shots in the works, some already outlined, others for which I only have a vague idea.

And now, 2018 is drawing closer and I'm thinking that I should at long last start working on a DDC project I've been bouncing around for several years already. The actual writing won't be much of a hassle, because it will consist of very short entries, but I need to outline it in depth before I start posting because the structure I want to follow just demands that every detail is laid out beforehand.

I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm on a good writing streak right now and if I keep this up I can hope to clear my backlog of neglected stories in the next six months or so – and just to be clear, this isn't a chore; most of these are stories I really want to write and I have no qualms about dropping a few that I lost interest in. On the other hand, I've been playing around with the concept of this DDC for such a long time that I'm afraid the idea might run out of steam if I postpone it for yet another year, and I don't want to lose it because I feel I really have a good concept there.

I'm tempted to just finish the two challenge entries I'm working on that come with a deadline (that should be sorted out by the end of the month), keep going on the two longer stories I'm currently posting and then push everything else down the waiting list in December so as to make time for DDC planning. After all, I'd just be postponing everything else (as in, 15 stories :p ) by a month, right?

So I guess my question to everyone is: how do you deal with a muse gone berserk? And, more generally, how do you handle working on multiple stories at once before it becomes overwhelming?

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    OK, let me speak as a reader first Chyntuck [face_party] Like yay yay. 15 Chyntuck stories is like too awesome for words.

As a writer, how do I deal with multichapter projects going at once? [face_laugh] Usually even my multichaptered thingies are short stories in lieu of epics but what I like to do is make broad outlines and then tweak as I go. I also like to have a posting schedule, not set in stone but how may a week etc. I always had in mind updating my drabbles mid week. My DDCs always seemed to be updated either early week or week end.

The upside of having so many stories in the works is if you get stuck on one, you have more than a couple to play with until things get moving on the worrisome one. @};-

Master_Lok and Chyntuck like this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I...dunno.

I have "only" three things less on my list, two of which were started in 2015, and two of which are time-limited (OTP and the OC challenge, though you made the latter way too hard for me :p and I don't think I'll be able to complete it). Not to mention that I won't miss the chance to enter the Winter fic-gift exchange again.

I'm just letting the moose-muse do whatever it wants. I don't want to write a half-assed story and I don't care if something other than a DDC is updated in a specific timeframe. Simply put, my circumstances right now don't allow it and, at the same time, I'm so happy that I can write, that NOTHING else matters.

I'd suggest you to take your tablet with you and outline things as you get the ideas. I prefer the stream-of-consciousness DDCs with outlining as I go, but I totally get that you're a planner at heart, so that's the only thing I could come up with. :)